What's new

Which is more realistic, Romper Stomper or American History X? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've seen American History X and liked it, but have yet to see Romper Stomper. Both are on my DVD to get list.

Which portrays racism better? Which is the better movie? How are the quality of the DVDs?

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I haven't seen "Romper Stomper" yet, but I have seen AHX and I think that it is an excellent film (and DVD).

If you get the chance, see "The Believer". In my opinion, it is slightly better than "American History X" because it is a lot more haunting and thought-provoking.

Being Jewish, it was very difficult for me to watch certain scenes in "The Believer" (in particular a scene in which a synagogue is desecrated, and another scene involving an incident during the Holocaust
), but that made it even more powerful. I don't know when it will be released on DVD in R1, but I think that it is already available in Europe.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I found Romper Stomper to be a very overrated film. It gives almost no insight into the makings of a skinhead, just a lot gangs chasing each other. American History X is much better at giving background scenes on why Edward Norton's character became the way he did, though I think additional background would have fleshed out a film like this even better. The score for AMX always makes me cringe, but I find it a far better film than Romper Stomper.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
American History X is a great film, but it has one problem, the Director had no control over it and every one of the deleted scenes that are on the DVD should have been in the film. Thoses scenes added so much to the film. It was a shame what happened to that film.

BTW, the curb biting scene to this day still makes me cringe.

-Dean-

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Although there are no boundaries to racism, it's still kind of difficult to compare as the two films are set against different environments and cultures (L.A. & Melbourne).
IMO, AMX holds as the stronger film. I would suggest to watch Romper Stomper for Russell Crowe's performance alone. It was this role (IIRC) that put him on the radar.
And if you are up to the task, I would recommend you to watch Chopper starring Eric Bana who many would have seen in Black Hawk Down and will get to see more of in the upcoming Hulk.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
the Director had no control over it and every one of the deleted scenes that are on the DVD should have been in the film. Thoses scenes added so much to the film. It was a shame what happened to that film.
Whoa!
AMX is the first DVD I screened that had deleted scenes. What I thought to myself back then: I am glad they were delected! :eek:
AMX is a great film, but I don't know about portaying racism. I fell these type of movies take the easy way out by only pointing at what is obviously evil (skin heads, gangs from the 'hood, N-word this etc...).
What I would like to see are movies that recognize and portray the vicious subtlety of present day racism, the one that seems petty when described, the one that only the victims can feel, that only statistics can show. Is there anything out there that could fit this description?
--
Holadem

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the deleted scenes from AMX belonged on the cutting room floor, too. But I loved the film. AMX is a more self-conscious film than RomperStomper, imo, and that makes the story a little neater, even if it's a little contrived. Romper Stomper is just (again, imo) shooting to show the destructive impulse that lies behind racism, without all the 'How did this ever happen' kind of stuff that I perceived in AMX.

I cared a lot more about the characters in AMX. I thought it was a better all-around film. I think that Romper Stomper portrays racism more realistically, but perhaps less artistically. Anyone is welcome to disagree. It's just my opinion. I saw Romper Stomper a few years ago on a crappy little vhs player, so I really couldn't compare the dvds.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Romper Stomper is definitely grittier, with a completely different feel. It's more about little people in a little place, unlike AHX which tries to tackle larger issues with a cast of well-known actors.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think Romper Stomper presupposes a fair bit of background knowledge. Otherwise, it's a bit two-dimensional (though without being patronising, a worthy movie).

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
AHX hands down is a far better movie than Romper Stomper. Romper Stomper was just a chaotic movie that made no sense. I really did not like it. American History X is a much deeper movie and has a much better message in it. Plus Edward Norton IMO puts in his best performance ever.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Without going into too much detail (it's 20 after 6 in the AM), I think they're totally different films. Romper Stomper plops you down in the reality of it, while American History X is more of a three-act character study. I think they're both excellent movies, but if you're looking for a stronger, clearer indictment of racism, go with American History X.
Plus it's got Fairuza Balk bein' nasty. That's a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks