What's new

How important would a REDBOOK layer on DVD-A be to you? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I gotta be honest, if they are ever successful at this it honestly wouldn't interest me? If I'm going out of my way to buy a DVD-A I could care less about listening to a redbook layer (especially of older material I have on CD anyways)!

The only benefit I see is that it would reduce retailer "inventory" but not having dual releases and I'd be able to listen to it on a car or computer drive? In seriousness, my next car system would have to have DVD-A as it's a natural for the car environment and I've a feeling that with the newer generation of computer drives that DVD-A will come with them!

What are your thoughts??

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
About the same as yours.

It's useful for a couple of reasons, the one stated about retailers and also for those who are thinking of upgrading but have not...and don't want to end up buying two copies. I think it would be a shot in the arm for DVD-A.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It would probably be very helpful for DVD-A as a format, but I wouldn't use it. The only time I listen to CDs of music that I otherwise have a hi-res source for is when I travel, and I don't do critical listening then. I have many SACD hybrids (all but the Sonys for the most part), but except for that initial curiosity factor I never listen to the Red Book layers.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
It is absolutely essential for me. I am not going to buy any music that I cannot play in my car, or at work.

Mark

Tony Casler

Agent
I would prefer that they do not add a redbook layer. From what I understand, the only way to add one is to put it on the reverse of the DVD-A side, making the disc a "flipper." I hate flipper DVD-V discs, one side always gets scratched up if you put it in a cd book, and it just looks like ass. I would rather have high-rez and a nice label.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
A redbook layer would be a nice bonus, but since I'm really buying a dvd-audio for surround listening (or hi-res stereo if the music is really great) it is not essential.

LJ

cwhite

Second Unit
I don't think it's necessary if the DVD-A has a DVD-V layer to be backwards compatible with most dvd players. I just purchased The Captain and Me by the Doobie Brothers and it has a stereo PCM layer(I believe it's 48Khz sampling not 44.1K).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Charles: unless they changed it, that Doobies dvd-audio has a 96kHz/24bit "regular" PCM track (playable on dvd-video players).

FYI: so does the Eric Johnson dvd-audio, the one with the screwed-up 5.1 track. :angry:

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks