What's new

Universal/Hi-rez Player FAQ Draft (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I tend to frequent a lot of threads that deal with issues of set-up and operation of universal and hi-rez combination players (Denon 2900 and 1600, Pioneer 45/47, Panny RP82, etc). As such, it appears that the same issues confront many new users, and that the same questions get asked and answered repeatedly.

I had some time on my hands, and took a pass at cataloging a few of the most frequently asked questions into a FAQ. I don't mean for this to be the be all and end all of player set-up, but for a new user, I think it hits most of the areas that are likely to cause confusion.

What I would like to do is put this out for membership input. Please reply in this thread if there are any corrections, additions, deletions, or any other comments on how this should look.

Once a final version is available, perhaps we could persuade the moderators to consider putting this toward the top as a "sticky".

BGL

Universal and Hi-Rez (DVD-A and SACD) Player FAQ

The purpose of this FAQ is to address many of the common questions that occur with regard to proper operation and connection of universal (SACD,DVD-A, DVD-V, CD) and hi-rez (DVD-V and SACD or DVD-A) players. With every new uni or hi-rez player, there is a new group of users that seem to be facing the same problems, and asking the same questions, over and over again. Hopefully, this will shorten the learning curve, and speed up the process of enjoying, to its full potential, hi-rez music.

Q1. I am connected to my receiver or pre/pro via my coax or optical output, but I am not getting any sound from my DVD-A or SACD tracks. Why?

A1. The standard coax or optical outputs and inputs do NOT support hi-rez audio. To get the full benefit of DVD-A or SACD, you MUST use an analog connection; either 2 channel or 5.1, depending on your speaker configuration.

The digital connection can still be left in place to allow for DD, DTS, or PCM decoding in the receiver or pre/pro. For a variety of reasons, this may be superior to using the decoding in the player; you should try both.

Note that there are some higher end components that do support a hi-rez digital connection between player and receiver or pre/pro. We will discuss those in question 9.

Q2. I connected my player to my receiver or pre/pro via the 5.1 analog connections, but I am only getting sound out of the L/R channels.

A2. Assuming that you have correctly selected the 5.1 inputs of your receiver or pre/pro, there are two other likely causes. First, most players require that you enable them for 5.1 playback; but many default to 2CH playback. You will need to go into the players menu to enable this. Second is the possibility that the disc in question is only 2 channel, or that you have selected the 2 channel mix of a disc that also has a MC mix. A visit to the player’s or discs’s menu will be in order.

Most SACD discs require that you choose the mix in the player’s menu; you can not normally do it from the remote’s “audio” button, and SACD discs have no menu’s. The choices are Redbook (for hybrids), 2CH hi-rez, and MC hi-rez.

Most DVD-A’s do allow you to make this choice either from the disc menu, or from the player’s remote “audio” button.

Q3. What if I do not have 5.1 inputs on my receiver or pre/pro?

A3. In this case, you can connect to your receiver via a 2CH stereo pair, AND via a digital connection. For both DVD-A and SACD, you will be able to play back 2CH software at full resolution via the analog connection. For MC playback of DVD-A software, you may find that the disc has a Dolby Digital or DTS MC track. This will play back properly through the digital connection to your receiver or pre/pro. While you will not be enjoying the full benefit of hi-rez playback, many DTS and DD tracks can sound quite good.

Q4. I am connected properly, but I am not hearing much sound from the center channel. Why?

A4. There are no real standards in terms of how a given disc is mixed. Some discs are actually in 4.0 (no center or sub channel), and some, while using a center, have it mixed very low compared to the other channels. The important point is that unless you have made a set-up or calibration error, the fact that the center channel appears low is likely due to the choices made when the mix was created; nothing is wrong.

Q5. I can calibrate my main speakers for equal sound levels, but the subwoofer channel is very low. Why?

A5. This can get very complicated, and delves into issues of bass management that are beyond the scope of this FAQ, but there is usually an easy answer. Many universal and hi-rez players seem to have very low gain on the subwoofer/.1 channel. The reasons for this are not 100% understood, and there are some users of newer equipment that are not seeing the problem, but if you do see the issue, the solution is to increase the sub/.1 channel level trim using either the player’s channel trims, the receiver or pre/pro channel trims, or the subwoofer amps gain control.

Be assured that, even if you see this problem when calibrating with test tones and an SPL meter, there is no bass that is actually missing; its just very low. When the channel gain is adjusted to provide equal levels, you will have no problem shaking the room.

As a side note, some receivers (Denon’s in particular) have a switchable sub channel boost (0, +5, +10 or +15 dB) on the 5.1 input that addresses this issue. Also, the author has seen this problem when using an older receiver, but after a recent receiver upgrade no longer has any issues with low sub/.1 channel levels. Users of Outlaw 950 pre/pros also report no problems getting channel levels balanced. The reasons for this are not understood, but it has been speculated that newer products may have a non-switchable boost already built in.

Suffice to say, if you don’t have the problem, great, but if you do, you will need to dial in some gain in the sub/.1 channel to set things right.

Q6. I am trying to play a DVD-A track, but my player’s DTS or Dolby Digital light is illuminated. Why?

A6. The DTS and/or DD tracks are on the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc. You will need to go into the players set-up menu and tell it to choose the DVD-A layer when playing DVD-A/DVD-V discs. This will not affect normal playback of DVD-V discs.

Q7. In my players set-up, I have to choose the speaker size. My choices are ‘large” or “small”. My speakers are average size. How do I set this?

A7. This question relates to bass management, which determines how low bass is reproduced in your system. While there is no “one size fits all” answer to this question, if you have a common arrangement of 5 speakers and a subwoofer, you normally will get the best results be setting all speakers to small, and the sub to on. Even with largish tower speakers, you are normally better off to set them to small, and have all bass below a certain frequency (not normally adjustable in the player, but commonly around 80hz to 120hz) sent to the sub.

Please note that while this question could probably justify its own FAQ, a setting to all small/sub on will be a reasonable choice for most users. If you do have speakers that can genuinely reproduce low bass (response down to below 30 hz or so) then feel free to experiment.

Q8. My player has speaker size settings, but with DVD-A or SACD titles, I am not hearing any output from the sub. Why?

A8. Not all players do bass management for all formats, and even when they do, some do it better than others. This is another topic that could justify its own FAQ. Cataloging how each player behaves is beyond the scope of this FAQ, however your best source of information on this topic are the player specific threads in the Audio/Video Sources section of the Home Theater Forum, as well as test reports in the major A/V publications. Should you find that your player does in fact have incomplete or inaccurate bass management, there are outboard solutions, such as the Outlaw ICBM that can address these problems. Some pre/pros (the Outlaw 950 and its clones) also have rudimentary bass management on their 5.1 channel inputs.

In cases where bass management is done externally, set the players speakers to all large/sub on.

Q9. Is there any hope of a purely digital connection for hi-rez audio?

A9. Yes, in fact there are player/receiver combinations available today from Denon and Pioneer (pricey to be sure) as well as separate player/processor pairings from Meridian, among others. While these are not priced for the masses, they do represent a trend that will eventually work its way down to the more popularly priced equipment. In fact, Pioneer has announced a lower priced receiver that supports the iLINK open standard that is present on their 47ai universal player. The advantages, besides reducing the number of cables, are that things like time alignment and bass management, can be handed in the receiver or pre/pro, and hopefully, be done properly.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
It appears that this may have gotten lost in the server outages this weekend, so consider this a "bump".

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian- I think this is a great idea, but might be a lot of work to maintain it. :)

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a table that would elicit the following capabilities for each player:

BM for SACD
BM for DVD-A
Does distance compensation for SACD (most seem to do it for DVD-A now)
Chroma bug
Any conversions of DSD to PCM
Layer change timing (Or, just good, OK, bad) (course, Secrets covers this one)
Separate power supplies for audio/video, analog/digital
Removeable power cord
Type and number of inputs and outputs
DVI, HDMI?

In the FAQ, you also might want to go into the BM in the player (for its analog outputs) vs the BM in the receiver/pre-pro (for the digital feeds). A lot of people get confused here. But for example, in conjunction with the Outlaw 950 which also has BM on its analog inputs, it has to be clear to use one or the other.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, a few thoughts on the two suggestions.

Kevin, I perhaps overstated the purpose of the FAQ in terms of its title. My goal was to nail down the basic hook-up and config questions that you will find in every single player specific thread. Stuff that would be applicable to virtually EVERY uni or combo player. And the intent was to deal with Audio only issues, since that is where most people get tripped up.

As for BM and other performance details, I personally lack the time time and the inclination to nail down the specifics of each player.

As I am sure you can appreciate from our collective experience with our Pioneer players, the manufacturers specs, the magazine reports, and the real user reports do not always concur in terms of BM performance (I tend to trust the users, BTW). Thats why I said in the FAQ that BM could be the subject of its own FAQ.

So, having said that, having this information would still be valuable, but I don't know that it could be accurately determined, and subsequently maintained. As you said, it would be difficult to gather AND maintain. Way beyond anything I am inclined to take on!

LanceJ/FiesalK, as for certain DVD-A titles sending out 44.1/16 data, can you clarify a few points on that?

First, I would guess that if this is possible, it only will apply to 2 Channel material, since there is no downmix of MC material, right.

Next, is this a function of the player, the software, or both?

Methinks that first the player would have to be designed to downrez a hi-rez 2CH track, but then the disc would have to allow it in terms of copy protection, correct?

I have no problem inserting a line or two to say that in some circumstances, there will be digital output, but it will not be hi-rez.

Thanks for your comments thus far. So you know, I have passed this on to Michael Ruben for possible inclusion in the FAQ/Primer area.

BGL

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Brian, I was just commenting on what Lance had said in response to your statement: The standard coax or optical outputs and inputs do NOT support hi-rez audio.: that 16/44 is not hi-rez even if there was a signal there.

I have no knowledge of any DVD-A titles with what is effectively a redbook CD output on the digital link. I know the DD or DTS track goes through that - but thats not the question. Furthermore, I'm not really certain what happens to the DD/DTS signal if you tell your player that you have a 2 channel system (downmixed to 2ch and converted to 16/44PCM?) - but thats not hi-rez anymore, and in fact, a question for another thread.

Coming back to the FAQ: great stuff! Could you add a setup checklist? for example: 1) player setup; select SACD multichannel, DVD-A to play Audio layer. 2) connect 5.1 analog out to receiver 5.1 analog in. 3) select external decoder on receiver. If users followed these steps and still had problems then they could start on question 1 :)

Q1: IMHO in general you will still get sound from DVD-A and hybrid SACD (most of them are?) - it's just that the audio isn't hi-rez. If this happened to be the case I would be hearing something and wouldn't raise this question.

I think there was a thread from another forum member who was listening to the DD tracks on his DVD-A not realizing that it was only DD (heck, it's still 5.1 and better than pro-logic treated stereo).

A9: Are the Denon and Pioneer both based on the same IEEE1394 standard, and do they talk to each other? i.e can you hook up a Pioneer universal player to a Denon receiver and vice versa.

p.s sorry for being longwinded, i'm still reeling from Crichton's PREY

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your comments. The check list is a great idea.

And yes, I have read more than one thread from users that were only getting the DD layer, but thought it was hi-rez.

As for the hi-rez digital link, I thought that they were both (Pioneer and Denon), proprietary, but I think John Kotches said that iLink is actually and open standard.

I don't know who else makes iLink gear (I may have read Sony but would not swear to it), but in theory, all iLink stuff should interconnect.

Since Denon is in fact proprietary, then they should only work with Denon, or perhaps any other vendor that adopted their connection scheme.

BGL

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The reason I brought up the low-res digital output is because someone somewhere will not know that the hi-res signals emerge ONLY from a dvd-audio/sacd player's analog outputs. He will then proceed to hook up only his digital output, push play and many times he will hear music. And for many people, hi-res sound is a very subtle improvement over regular-res sound (particularly if they don't use high quality amps & speakers). And if they are using something like a pair of $5K Thiels and a $4K McIntosh amp, they will scratch their heads and wonder what all the yelling about hi-res is about......and probably get just a tad pissed off about paying for all that new hi-res hardware and software.

And not all receivers display what format (44.1kHz, 48, 96, etc) their digital input is receiving, so this could further add to the mystery.

All the Warner discs I own allow a digital signal from my Pioneer's optical output, but at no more than 48kHz (my Technics receiver cannot decode anything higher than that & it has no display for sampling rate, so I am making an educated guess here).

Some discs I own allow a downmixed-to-stereo digital signal, some don't. Lots of receivers have the ability to downmix 5.1 digital signals--my Technics SA-DA8 can do this with DTS 5.1 tracks for example.

This is the downside of dvd-audio's flexible nature--you have to really read the disc's label and the player's manual & operation displays to get the most out of this format.

LJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
All 24/96/192 stereo tracks[DVD-A] are pcm encoded,and some player can pass 24/96[not 192/24] on it's digital outpu provided the track is not copy protected, if it is the player will downsample it to 48/16.Some content providers will say that the stereo tracks are playable on all DVD players,which means the palyer should be able pass it in digital domain without downsample.
I believe all WB titles are copy protected,so this don't leave many discs to explore.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think that the only discs that are allowed to pass 24/96 digitally are those (Chesky) Digital Audio Discs. (Basically DVD-V's.) I don't think that any DVD-A's are allowed to pass 24/96 digitally. ??

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Brian,

get the FAQ posted anyway, I'm sure it will grow and evolve as time goes on... the rest of us are just waffling :)

Lance

This is the downside of dvd-audio's flexible nature--you have to really read the disc's label and the player's manual & operation displays to get the most out of this format.
how true - and also applies to a certain extent to SACDs i have many friends who buy SACDs thinking they are all m/c - without peeking in the back to see if its just stereo; or if it was hybrid or not. Then again it's the same all round - it used to be as simple as buying an amp and hooking up the CD player and speakers. You simply didn't have to make choices

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Yup, given that the 4 of us geniuses can't nail down the question of digital output from hi-rez sources has led me to the conclusion that this topic is better left on the cutting room floor:D

I am going to try to add a short checklist at the top. I think that is a good idea. Michael Rueben did reply that he would add it to the Primer. I am going to try to finish it off this weekend.

Thanks for all your input.

BGL

FeisalK

Screenwriter
to my thinking, what's irritating is that it isn't a "maybe, maybe not" situation - or at least it shouldn't

there simply has to be some specifications to building these dvd players (with the 563 at that price, it can't be too complicated - and the cheapest player I've seen here in singapore is SG$99 - about US$60).

Getting into the details, every chip they use in a player would have their specs too which determine what the chip does do or doesnt do. (just been reading about the Ziva-6 for example that claims to bring down the cost of building a DVD player down to $30)

maybe we just need to be able to see these specs?

post-edit: interesting, this one from cirrus - then you can go on and do a search on the site for the specific chips like the CS5361 ADC or the CS 4382 DAC

Andy_A

Second Unit
thanks for the info on this FAQ. As I am knowledgable about everything mentioned, I was actually looking for an FAQ on bass management. I definitely think it is a good idea to begin a bass management FAQ. While it would not have to catalog all the capabilities of every player (at first) it could deal with some key issues and answer questoins like:
1. What do I look for in a receiver/processor to know
if it has adequate bass management built in?
2. Answering a question like, "does the bass mgmt. on
receivers work on 5.1 inputs? (A: most of the
time NO, I think)
3. Does bass management on dvd players work for the
hi-rez music (dvd-audio, sacd) as well as dts and
dolby digital? A: some players do the music, but
most just do DTS and DD (I think)
4. What does the ICBM do and how do I hook it up and
configure it? A: read the manual :)
5. Other questions. I think most people out there are
VERY interested in this issue.

Thanks again

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think that the only discs that are allowed to pass 24/96 digitally are those (Chesky) Digital Audio Discs. (Basically DVD-V's.) I don't think that any DVD-A's are allowed to pass 24/96 digitally. ??
DTS and AIX lets you pass it.I don't have any Universal titles yet to check.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, the next post after this one will be the current revision.

I have added a checklist, some comments about down-rezing via the digital out, and tweaked a few things regarding BM.

Thanks very much for all you suggestions.

And, if someone wants to start a BM FAQ, I will be glad to contribute. I am not sure if we may already have one here somewhere, but if not it is certainly needed.

Once a user gets over the hump of hook-up, detailed BM questions are the nest thing to pop-up.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Universal and Hi-Rez (DVD-A and SACD) Player FAQ

The purpose of this FAQ is to address many of the common questions that occur with regard to proper operation and connection of universal (SACD,DVD-A, DVD-V, CD) and hi-rez (DVD-V and SACD or DVD-A) players. With every new uni or hi-rez player, there is a new group of users that seem to be facing the same problems, and asking the same questions, over and over again. Hopefully, this will shorten the learning curve, and speed up the process of enjoying, to its full potential, hi-rez music.

To start with, here is a quick checklist for multi channel, hi-resolution playback that should get you up and running in a minimum amount of time. If these steps fail to produce the required result (Glorious Hi-Rez Sound!) review the questions in the remainder of the FAQ. The checklist assumes that you will be using the common set-up of 5 small speakers and a subwoofer.

1. Connect the 5.1 channel analog outputs from your player to the 5.1 analog inputs of your receiver or pre/pro. The 5.1 connections are required for hi-rez, multi channel sound.

2. Go into the set-up of your player, and make the following selections (if present):

a.) Enable the player for 5.1 analog output. Many players default to 2 channel.
b.) Enable the player to select the multi-channel layer of SACD discs.
c.) Enable the player to select the DVD-A layer of DVD-A/DVD-V discs.
d.) In the “speaker settings” section of the player set-up, choose “Small” for all main speakers, and Subwoofer On.
e.) Set the speaker distances to match your actual set-up.
f.) Exit your players set-up menu, making sure to save your settings.

3. Select the 5.1 input of your receiver or pre/pro.

4. Insert the hi-rez disc of your choice. Push “play”, sit back, and ENJOY!

Q1. I am connected to my receiver or pre/pro via my coax or optical output, but I am not getting any sound from my DVD-A or SACD tracks. Why?

A1. The standard coax or optical outputs and inputs do NOT support hi-rez audio. To get the full benefit of DVD-A or SACD, you MUST use an analog connection; either 2 channel or 5.1, depending on your speaker configuration.

The digital connection can still be left in place to allow for DD, DTS, or PCM decoding in the receiver or pre/pro. For a variety of reasons, this may be superior to using the decoding in the player; you should try both.

Note that there are some higher end components that do support a hi-rez digital connection (typically IEEE 1394 Firewire or a variation of Firewire) between player and receiver or pre/pro. We will discuss those in question 10.

It is also possible that a given player may down-rez DVD-A hi-rez data to a lower resolution sampling rate and bit depth. While this may produce sound from the standard digital connection, it would not produce true, hi-resolution playback.

Q2. If I have the 5.1 and optical connections, do I also need to connect the analog stereo L/R pair?

A2. You don’t have to, but you may want to. Making the stereo connection will allow you to use Pro Logic, DTS, or other matrix decoding on two channel sources. Since you will not be able to send two channel hi-rez material through the digital connection, and Pro Logic and DTS are not normally available via the 5.1 inputs, the stereo pair will be the only way to invoke these surround modes on two channel sources.

Q3. I connected my player to my receiver or pre/pro via the 5.1 analog connections, but I am only getting sound out of the L/R channels.

A3. Assuming that you have correctly selected the 5.1 inputs of your receiver or pre/pro, there are two other likely causes. First, most players require that you enable them for 5.1 playback; but many default to 2CH playback. You will need to go into the players menu to enable this. Second is the possibility that the disc in question is only 2 channel, or that you have selected the 2 channel mix of a disc that also has a MC mix. A visit to the player’s or discs’s menu will be in order.

Most SACD discs require that you choose the mix in the player’s menu; you can not normally do it from the remote’s “audio” button, and SACD discs have no menu’s. The choices are Redbook (for hybrids), 2CH hi-rez, and MC hi-rez.

Most DVD-A’s do allow you to make this choice either from the disc menu, or from the player’s remote “audio” button.

Q4. What if I do not have 5.1 inputs on my receiver or pre/pro?

A4. In this case, you can connect to your receiver via a 2CH stereo pair, AND via a digital connection. For both DVD-A and SACD, you will be able to play back 2CH software at full resolution via the analog connection. Note that ALL SACD discs will have a hi-rez , 2 channel track.

For MC playback of DVD-A software, you may find that the disc has a Dolby Digital or DTS MC track. This will play back properly through the digital connection to your receiver or pre/pro. While you will not be enjoying the full benefit of hi-rez playback, many DTS and DD tracks can sound quite good.

Q5. I am connected properly, but I am not hearing much sound from the center channel. Why?

A5. There are no real standards in terms of how a given disc is mixed. Some discs are actually in 4.0 (no center or sub channel), and some, while using a center, have it mixed very low compared to the other channels. The important point is that unless you have made a set-up or calibration error, the fact that the center channel appears low is likely due to the choices made when the mix was created; nothing is wrong.

Q6. I can calibrate my main speakers for equal sound levels, but the subwoofer channel is very low. Why?

A6. This can get very complicated, and delves into issues of bass management that are beyond the scope of this FAQ, but there is usually an easy answer. Many universal and hi-rez players seem to have very low gain on the subwoofer/.1 channel. The reasons for this are not 100% understood, and there are some users of newer equipment that are not seeing the problem, but if you do see the issue, the solution is to increase the sub/.1 channel level trim using either the player’s channel trims, the receiver or pre/pro channel trims, or the subwoofer amps gain control.

Be assured that, even if you see this problem when calibrating with test tones and an SPL meter, there is no bass that is actually missing; its just very low. When the channel gain is adjusted to provide equal levels, you will have no problem shaking the room.

As a side note, some receivers (Denon’s in particular) have a switchable sub channel boost (0, +5, +10 or +15 dB) on the 5.1 input that addresses this issue. Also, the author has seen this problem when using an older receiver, but after a recent receiver upgrade no longer has any issues with low sub/.1 channel levels. Users of Outlaw 950 pre/pros also report no problems getting channel levels balanced. The reasons for this are not understood, but it has been speculated that newer products may have a non-switchable boost already built in.

Suffice to say, if you don’t have the problem, great, but if you do, you will need to dial in some gain in the sub/.1 channel to set things right.

Q7. I am trying to play a DVD-A track, but my player’s DTS or Dolby Digital light is illuminated. Why?

A7. The DTS and/or DD tracks are on the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc. You will need to go into the players set-up menu and tell it to choose the DVD-A layer when playing DVD-A/DVD-V discs. This will not affect normal playback of DVD-V discs.

Q8. In my players set-up, I have to choose the speaker size. My choices are ‘large” or “small”. My speakers are average size. How do I set this?

A8. This question relates to bass management, which determines how low bass is reproduced in your system. While there is no “one size fits all” answer to this question, if you have a common arrangement of 5 speakers and a subwoofer, you normally will get the best results be setting all speakers to small, and the sub to on. Even with largish tower speakers, you are normally better off to set them to small, and have all bass below a certain frequency (not normally adjustable in the player, but commonly around 80hz to 120hz) sent to the sub.

Please note that while this question could probably justify its own FAQ, a setting of all small/sub on will be a reasonable choice for most users. If you do have speakers that can genuinely reproduce low bass (response down to below 30 hz or so) then feel free to experiment.

Q9. My player has speaker size settings, but with DVD-A or SACD titles, I am not hearing any output from the sub. Why?

A9. Not all players do bass management for all formats, and even when they do, some do it better than others. Again, this is a topic that could justify its own FAQ. Cataloging how each player behaves is beyond the scope of this FAQ, however your best source of information on this topic are the player specific threads in the Audio/Video Sources section of the Home Theater Forum, as well as test reports in the major A/V publications. Should you find that your player does in fact have incomplete or inaccurate bass management, there are outboard solutions, such as the Outlaw ICBM that can address these problems. Some pre/pros (the Outlaw 950 and its clones) also have rudimentary bass management on their 5.1 channel inputs.

In cases where bass management is done externally, best results usually obtained by setting the player's speaker settings to all large/sub on.

Q10. Is there any hope of a purely digital connection for hi-rez audio?

A10. Yes, in fact there are player/receiver combinations available today from Denon and Pioneer (pricey to be sure) as well as separate player/processor pairings from Meridian, among others. While these are not priced for the masses, they do represent a trend that will eventually work its way down to the more popularly priced equipment. In fact, Pioneer has announced a lower priced receiver that supports the iLINK open standard that is present on their 47ai universal player. The new Denon 5900 is also said to allow its digital out to be set for proprietary or open standard functionality. The advantages, besides reducing the number of cables, are that things like time alignment and bass management, can be handed in the receiver or pre/pro, and hopefully, be done properly.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

>> Q4. What if I do not have 5.1 inputs on my receiver or pre/pro?

You can also add an external 5.1 analog preamp a la the Sony TA-P9000ES, and I think there are at least 2 more out there now too. (EMM Labs maybe? Switchman? And I just saw another cheap one advertised somewhere.)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Kevin

If your receiver doesn't have 5.1 inputs and you add a 5.1 analog preamp, you'd still need the preamp outs to go somewhere (outboard amps?) and eventually end up at your existing 5.1 speakers. how would you do that?

I think only the older dolby pro-logic (also newer small form-factor and HTiB) receivers won't have 5.1 inputs. Would the best thing to do to get hirez audio in these cases is to upgrade the receiver?

F

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks