What's new

* how high should i place my rear bipoles? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_P

Grip
i just got my rear bipole speakers, and was wondering how high i should place them.

i'm also planning to mount them on my rear wall... that's ok right?

btw, they are Mission 77DS speakers

thanks in advance

-kevin

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
If these are your only surround speakers, and not speakers placed to reproduce the sounds of newer 6.1 movies, then they should be placed on the side walls, beside or slightly behind the listening position. Mine are at 65 inches. Height options vary, but putting dipole surrounds on the back wall defeats the very concept and use of dipole - to provide a sound "null" at the listening position by aiming the sound to the front and back of the room.

Greg

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Well now I see that I misspoke myself referring to your bipoles as dipoles. No bets are off. The rear wall is still the worst place to put them (speaking from experience here). Sides, sides, sides. If they were monopoles, the rear corners MIGHT be acceptable, maybe...

Greg

Eric A

Second Unit
I have my PSB 10s Bipoles on the back wall. As stated in the earlier thread this is not th best place for them but I have to have my sides in the ceiling because of room configurations. I will say because they are rear speakers for a 7.1 system and they are bipoles I have not noticed any real adverse effects. I had them on the side walls in an old house and know how they sound there. In my system it has not made a huge difference. As for height, I have them approximately 7 feet (9 ft ceilings) and inverted with the tweeter on the bottom to reinforce bass to the ceiling. As I stated this works best for me in my set up. I didn't do this on a whim either. I tried a few different locations on the back wall and finally decided on this position. I had a local HT dealer in to calibrate my TV and he was very impressed with the sound of the system overall. He commented that he would have never placed the speakers in that location but it sounded so good that he would use me as a model for future installations. Hope this helps.

Kevin_P

Grip
ok. so 7 feet seems to be the suggestion as far as height, but i forgot to ask how far they should be on either side of the listening position.

also, what do i use to mount my speakers?!

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Kevin_P,

You may want to experiment with the height by putting the speakers on some form of temporary stands that allow you to compare heights (i.e. plant stands, ladders, etc.).

I'm not going to offer you a definitive height recommendation, but with my bipolar side speakers I have them so that they are just above the height of my ears when I'm seated on my sofa, and I like the way that sounds. From a "front-to-back" perspective, they're just slightly behind my ears (about 3 inches). I played around with several arrangements and found this to be the most pleasing to me.

Good luck!

Kevin_P

Grip
thanks for the reply...

but again, do i just use nails to "hang" my speakers, or are there other methods?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
My side surrounds are DefTech BP2X and they come with a mounting plate installed on the back that allows me to hang them from a screw (installed well into a stud, obviously).

How you hang the Missions depends on what is on the back of them, if anything. Is there some form of mounting plate?

I know there are other ways to mount surround speakers and you can buy mounting kits, too.

Kevin_P

Grip
i have holes for screws/nails on the back of my speaker, but won't the speaker vibrate against the wall if it's just hanging like that? or is it ok?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

If the speaker vibrates while hanging on the wall, go to an office supply or craft store, a Target, Walmart, etc. and get some Sticki-Tak or Blue-Tak. It's a rubbery material that you can put between the speaker and the wall to prevent rattles. It removes cleanly when the time comes to move that speaker.

As an aside, it also works well to avoid any other types of rattle or vibrations you have. I put some behind everything that's hanging in my HT.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks