7.1 Speaker placement?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by erikk, Jun 9, 2003.

1. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

Ok I need some help/advice on where to put my Speakers and seating area for a new HT room I am setting up. I have a 7.1 setup and a room that is 17.5 x 15.5 x 9. I have a 105" screen I plan to put on the top wall in the picture. There is a sliding glass door on the left, a door to the garage on the right, a door to the hallway on the bottom right and a door to a bathroom on the bottom left. I will either place the sub in the top right corner (ideally) or the top left. The side surrounds are dipole/bipoles and the rear surrounds bookshelf speakers.

Do you think I should put the rear surrounds in the corners pointing in a little (position 1) or behind the listening location pointing straight forward (position 2)? The corners would be almost ceiling height (have to be above the doorways) and the behind position could be a little lower.

Any advice on how far back to put the couch/ht seating and the side surrounds because of it? I'd like to be able to have a rear elevated row behind the couch some day but probably won't do it right away. At the same time I don't want the couch to be TOO close to the screen (tho I am ok with it being much closer than the "recommended" screen distance).

I'd also love any advice on sonic treatments. I know the room is too close front to back for the width to be ideal and I should probably put up something on the front and back walls for high frequency reflection but am VERY new to all this part of HT. I've always had a combined room and this is my first true HT room so I want to do it right.

[​IMG]

BTW I am really looking for actual measurements (i.e. 64 inches from the corner, etc) not just general put them to the left right of the seating area, etc. I know the basics more than well enough and for the low frequency stuff I am good to go.

2. NathanL

NathanL Agent

I don't know any specifics but from what I've seen in my receiver manual and online, you generally put the surround backs in position 2.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

4. erikk

erikk Stunt Coordinator

I should mention that I have a Lexicon MC-12 and use the Logic7 algorithm.

I think that the position 2 is the "standard" one for EX but I think Lexicon wants them farther apart and I was thinking (and asking because of my concern) that there wasn't enough room behind the listening position for the position 2 location to work well.