What's new

How does Infinity compare to other speakers (1 Viewer)

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I would like to get some opinions on how Infinity speakers stack up to the other speakers in terms of sound quality: overall and in terms of timbre. I dont hear a lot of discussions about them on this forum. I have a set of Infinity RS4's (now the Entra line) for my fronts hooked up to a Denon 3801. I like the sound of them but was wondering how are they in terms of sound quality (warm/bright) when compared to, say, Klipsch, Paradigm, Boston, Polk, etc. Would you characterize them as warm or bright in general?

Thanks for the opinions.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I was told by a salesman that Infinity speakers tend to be "warm". Good for classical/jazz. Not as forward/in-your-face for rap/rock like Klipsch.

Sankar

Second Unit
I have Infinity speakers all around: Overture 3s for the mains, CC3 for the center, QPS1 for the 4 surrounds and HPS1000 for the sub. I find them to be more revealing (though less bright than the Klipsch) than some DCMs and Def Techs that I have heard. All in all though I have found them to be very pleasant to the ear. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy them again (and I guess that says a lot!)!!

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
if it means anything, the oldest equipment in my setup are my Infinity Sterling 2002 bookshelf mains. They are now powered by a H/K AVR 320, and still sound better than ever before. I auditioned some NHT Super One and Super Twos and some Paradigm somethings, and stuck with the Infinitys as they sound 97 percent as good as the Super One to me. Looking to upgrade to have more lower end for music and better high end for imaging, but many people love the IL10 bookshelves, now on sale at crutchfield.com.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
My experience with Infinity speakers has always been very good. Sound is excellent. Stepping up from Infinity IL40 to B & W CDM 9 NT is 2.6 times the price but a 50% improvement in sound quality.

Best regards-Henry

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
One of their intermezzo series(I think 2.6) was rated Class A(restricted low frequency response) above such speakers as Ariel 8b and Nautilus 805 in Stereophile Recommended Components.

Robby

Auditioning
The Infinity line-up from Harmon -Kardon is a stellar speaker at any pice point. They do not color the sound as most makers do. The same technology of the Ceramic Metal Matrix driver trickles down from the Predlude series to the Entra. They take a little more power to drive, but they are the most accurate. Let your ears be the judge, but thet are awesome. I sell the Infinty, Boston, Klipsh, Derfinitive, Matin-Logan, and Bose line-up everyday; my personal preference is still Infinty. It's subjective-get what sounds best to you, andyou'll be happy for the next ten years or more.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Infinity have two separate speaker system on Stereophile Class A Loudspeaker list: The Infinity Prelude MTS(Full Range) and the Infinity Intermezzo 2.6(Restricted Extreme LF). Very impressive!! It seems Harmon International has really done some good work with Revel, Infinity, and JBL(also on Stereophile's Recommended Components list with their S38). Actually, I think American speakers manufacturers like Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, NHT, and the Harmon brands have raised the performance-to-price ratio to a level where they're giving the Canadian manufacturers(like Axiom, Paradigm, and the API brands) a extremely serious run for the money.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Thanks guys for all your valuable opinions. So do you all think that the Denon 3801 is bringing out the best in the Infinities? What I mean is I am powering $400 speakers with a 1K receiver. So I am assuming that I cant get any more improvement in sound by adding outboard amplification, unless I get better speakers. Am I right in this assumption?

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
not necessarily. even with $200 speakers, you could get better sound with outboard amplification, but the improvement would not be as dramatic as with $600 speakers. it all depends on which is easiest for you to upgrade at that particular time (friends, used, deals, taste).

I have $200 bookshelves on a $600 receiver, and noticed a difference between using a $200 DVD player for CDs and the Sony CA70ES carousel. in my case, speakers would have make a larger difference, but at the time, the convenience of having a carousel was paramount. see what i mean?

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
The improvement in sound quality, although there, is not substancial. The difference in price is substancial. I spent a lot of money, got some improvement, but certainly not the bang for the buck one might expect. Does this help?

Best regards-Henry

Larry B

Screenwriter
Henry:

The improvement in sound quality, although there, is not substancial. The difference in price is substancial. I spent a lot of money, got some improvement, but certainly

not the bang for the buck one might expect. Does this help?
In other words, you don't think they're worth the money, right?

Larry

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
No, I definitely think the CDM 9 NT is worth the money. I was just surprised how well the Infinity IL40 stacked up against them in a direct comparison. The IL40 is a really good speaker.

Best regards-Henry

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
From what I can find on the 'net, it's nothing but praise for the Interlude line from Infinity. Both Infinity and JBL went thru a period of time when people wouldn't even audition their speakers due to their lack of performance. I am glad to see both Infinity and JBL back. BTW, both Infinity and JBL continue to make extremely high-end speakers for Japan (not that the Intermezzo/TiK lines aren't high end)....wonder when those will show up here?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
JBL, the leading manufacturer of professional and consumer loudspeakers, today announced it will begin marketing its ultrahigh-end K2 S9800 loudspeaker through selected retailers in the U.S. beginning in early 2002. Winner of a CEA Innovations 2002 Design and Engineering Award and the recent recipient of the 2001 Golden Ear Award from Japan's prestigious Stereo Sound magazine, the K2 S9800 is designed entirely without compromise to provide the ultimate in sonic performance.
Award-Winning Sonic Excellence
In addition to receiving a CEA Innovations 2002 Award and Japan's Stereo Sound 2001 Golden Ear Award, the K2 S9800 has been the recipient of numerous awards from some of the world's most prestigious audio publications. These include: Senka 21 - Audio Excellence Award, Gold Prize; Stereo - Best Buy Component Award; Radio Technique - Component Grand Prix Award, Silver Prize; Swing Journal - Jazz Component Award; Stereo Sound - Grand Prix Award; Stereo Sound - Best Buy Component.
The K2 S9800 will be sold in the U.S. exclusively through selected JBL dealers beginning in early 2002. Suggested retail pricing is $25,000 per pair.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
That's great news, Phil!! Not that I can afford a pair....
s9800dg.jpg

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
matthew_rm, the Canadian suggested retail price is $20,000 per speaker. Any decent JBL dealer (including yours truly :)) would be more than happy to get you a pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks