What's new

How does HSU compare to SVS? (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Both subs are tubular and are purchaced over the net. I have never heard either so I am wondering how they compare in sound quality and construction.
I know there are alot of fans of both subs here so please no flame wars;)
Thanks

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
HSU is one of the pioneers of commercial cylinder subwoofers. They use high quality drivers and electronics and well built enclosures. They use a top mounted woofer, which contributes greatly to a high center of gravity, making the sub suspectible to tipping. They are overdamped bass reflex systems that need special equalization for flat extended bass. This can be had through the 250w external plate amp they offer, or their Bass Optimizer unit and your own amp, but the result is the same - bass equalization sucks amp power and also limits the max SPL the sub would otherwise be capable of achieving. HSU does not offer a cylinder sub with an onboard amp.

SVS IMHO, has taken the commercial cylinder subwoofer concept to a higher level of refinement and sophistication. They also use high quality drivers and electronics and well built enclosures. But they use a bottom mounted woofer, which results in a low center of gravity, making the sub resistant to tipping. And they employ properly sized and tuned and vented enclosures that do not require power/SPL-robbing bass equalization to achieve efficient deep bass extension. They also offer two models with onboard amps - the PCi and the PC+. The PC+ has triple 3" vents that are tunable (20, 16, 12Hz) with factory supplied foam port plugs, a highly developed proprietary high output woofer from the famous TC Sounds, and the 525w amp has a 4 position (25,20,16,12 Hz) subsonic filter, and an infinitely variable phase control.

IMO, these unique features put SVS on top of the commercial cylinder subwoofer market, with the best price/performance ratio. The PC+ has no commercial peer in its price class.

Regards,

Ed

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
The only downside to the SVS approach is a larger footprint vis a vis the Hsu. Just something to consider if space is a consideration.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The SVS guys have praised the HSU subs for giving great quality. When someone mentions they own HSU in a SVS thread, Tom/Ron usually congratulate them.
It's like a Coke vs Pepsi: each one is a similar quality, but a bit different flavor.
I personally feel that the SVS gives superior sound owing to the physics that the physical size of the SVS gives you, but I would not turn down a HSU if somone gave it to me. :)
But I have seen the hours and hours Tom/Ron have spent here and other places helping people build their own subs, and later helping people with their SVS. This personal attention earned my business.
So it's not so much which sub is better, but which business do you want to support with your money.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Bob,

Well put. I wasn't going to respond in this thread because I haven't compared the two, but SVS won my business by virtue of how they conduct theirs. A fairly meaningless example, but I think it speaks to the respective cultures of the companies: When you hear people talk about the folks at SVS, you hear the names "Tom," "Ron," and "Erik." When you hear people talk about the folks at Hsu, you hear the name "Dr. Hsu." As to which sub is better, I can't/won't speak to that with a definitive answer, and from all I've heard (in person and from others) you can't go wrong with either.

-Robb

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
So it's not so much which sub is better, but which business do you want to support with your money.
About a year ago I had two systems going, an audio only and a home theater. In the audio I was using an HSU TN1220HO, with the video a TN1225HO. I decided to combine the systems and run the subs together. I called HSU and spoke with Dr. Hsu who informed me this was not the best combination, since the eq used for the 1220 would over tax the 1225. What to do? Dr. Hsu suggested a solution. He said he would take my 1225 in trade (full price) against the 1220. The 1225 was 9 months old. At the time I thought, "That's service". Hence, I now have dual 1220HOs in my combined system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks