What's new

How do you get rid of "spyware"??? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
About three days ago my buddy's friend was using my computer (Compaq Presario w/Windows ME) to read his e-mail. I know he downloaded some animated e-cards and other similar stuff, and ever since then the computer has been running slower and/or acting a little weird.

For example, whenever I exit Internet Explorer or Word, instead of the program simply vanishing, now it scrolls down from the top (like a car window being rolled down) taking almost two seconds to do so. The only other time it did this was after playing The Sims or if the computer had been used a lot that day without being restarted. And when it was restarted, everything was back to normal. My buddy said he had heard of "spyware" causing problems like this.

Does anybody know of any quality software that check for & get rid of these programs? I really, really would appreciate any advice as I have no money to pay for a technician. Thanks in advance!

LJ

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the joys of spyware. There's a bunch of freeware & shareware packages out there to scan your system for it. The one I use is AD-AWARE by Lavasoft. The basic version is free to use.

It'll scan your system for common spyware components, and remove them if you wish. It's regularly updated with new "descriptions" of new spyware gubbins.

It's worth noting that if you're running Kazaa, you really want to uninstall it & grab Kazaa Lite instead - the "real" Kazaa requires spyware on your system for it to run...

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Ad-Aware is good, but it's been surpassed by Spybot Search & Destroy, which also is free. You can find it with a Google search.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Another convert to spybot over ad-aware (both are quite good but spybot is very easy to set up to preferance.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Mark another one up for Spybot. I used ad-aware too, but when I got spybot, it was very easy, and does have more features then ad-aware (ad-aware 5.83 anyway, I haven't tried the newest version yet). Plus the newest version of Spybot has even more features then before, so I'm quite happy with it. Here's a link to the site...SpyBot Search&Destroy

The one thing with spybot though is DON'T delete everything it finds, as it tells you this too. The stuff in marked in red is bad, if it's in black, it could be bad, and if it's marked in green , it's probably beneficial for your computer to have the stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks