how do you get dd from digital cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan espinoza, Dec 25, 2002.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

i want to know how exactly do u get dolby digital from digital cable if there is no optical cable input anywhere on the back? do i have to buy a seperate connection or is there a specific box that comes with the connection?

p.s. for anybody does have digital cable, how good is the sound quality?

thanks and merry christmas!!!!!

2. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

My Scientific Atlanta box has a coaxial digital output. That's how i get Dolby Digital from it. I don't think there's another way.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If there's no digital output on the cable box (either optical or coax), then you're out of luck. Contact your cable company to see whether they offer a different box.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes my digital cable has coaxial output,but it seems only work on those music channels,and premium channels like HBO.
    Sound quality certainly don't equal to DVD.

5. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I am using both analog and digital audio outputs from my digital cable box because only channel 101 and above are digital channels. I have heard some movies on the premium channels that sound very close to DVD quality. If you want to hear the real difference, tune into one of the many digital all-music channels available on many systems. There, I revert back to the analog audio outputs because it sounds so much better.

6. Ahmose

Ahmose Extra

Does anyone know if AT&T is planning to upgrade to DD5.1 ?
    I also have digital cable and my cable box has neither digital Audio outputs nor s-video !

7. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Aren't you's paying premium $$$ for the so called Digital Cable ?
    I still think that some of the Cable Companies are Scamming the General public with this Digital Cable Deal ? [​IMG]

8. Ahmose

Ahmose Extra

How can i get prologic out of any of the cable channels ?
    I have my rcvr set to Prologic 2 but i never hear anything out of the surround speakers. I had the cable box set to Pearl Harbor on Starz (all the zeros flying by... still nothing out of the surrounds).
    I've been messing around with the audio setup on my cable box, I have tried fooling around with stereo (matrix vs. stereo), compression (heavy, lite, none) but still nothing seems to work.
    The music channels sound absolutly attrocious as well, they sound like 32k mp3 [​IMG]
    Can anyone help me decipher what this means:

9. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor