What's new

how do you get dd from digital cable? (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
i want to know how exactly do u get dolby digital from digital cable if there is no optical cable input anywhere on the back? do i have to buy a seperate connection or is there a specific box that comes with the connection?

p.s. for anybody does have digital cable, how good is the sound quality?

thanks and merry christmas!!!!!

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
My Scientific Atlanta box has a coaxial digital output. That's how i get Dolby Digital from it. I don't think there's another way.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If there's no digital output on the cable box (either optical or coax), then you're out of luck. Contact your cable company to see whether they offer a different box.

p.s. for anybody does have digital cable, how good is the sound quality?
DD is a robust format. The sound quality over digital cable can be just as good as from a DVD. Note, though, that many channels broadcast in only DD 2.0, even when they're showing a movie released in 5.1.

M.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes my digital cable has coaxial output,but it seems only work on those music channels,and premium channels like HBO.
Sound quality certainly don't equal to DVD.

cwhite

Second Unit
I am using both analog and digital audio outputs from my digital cable box because only channel 101 and above are digital channels. I have heard some movies on the premium channels that sound very close to DVD quality. If you want to hear the real difference, tune into one of the many digital all-music channels available on many systems. There, I revert back to the analog audio outputs because it sounds so much better.

Ahmose

Grip
Does anyone know if AT&T is planning to upgrade to DD5.1 ?
I also have digital cable and my cable box has neither digital Audio outputs nor s-video !

DougR

Second Unit
Aren't you's paying premium $$$ for the so called Digital Cable ?
I still think that some of the Cable Companies are Scamming the General public with this Digital Cable Deal ? :angry:

Ahmose

Grip
How can i get prologic out of any of the cable channels ?
I have my rcvr set to Prologic 2 but i never hear anything out of the surround speakers. I had the cable box set to Pearl Harbor on Starz (all the zeros flying by... still nothing out of the surrounds).
I've been messing around with the audio setup on my cable box, I have tried fooling around with stereo (matrix vs. stereo), compression (heavy, lite, none) but still nothing seems to work.
The music channels sound absolutly attrocious as well, they sound like 32k mp3 :angry:
Can anyone help me decipher what this means:
At this time our digital receivers provide two channel (four derived) Dolby Surround Pro-Logic versus the six discrete channels provided by Dolby Digital. Just as with Dolby Digital, your equipment and programming must be equipped with a Dolby Surround Pro-Logic decoder to take advantage of Dolby Surround Pro-Logic programming. The fact that our receivers do not yet pass Dolby Digital 5.1 does not prevent you from enjoying the benefits of Dolby Digital 5.1 through the use of other components, such as DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks