What's new

how do you fix your dvds? (1 Viewer)

Antonino S

Stunt Coordinator
I have many dvds that has little marks and scratches on them .. what is the best way to fix them?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
If you OWN these DVD's with "marks" on them .... then shame on you. 8*(

The "stuff"... what stuff?.. can you explain.

For rentals... with the pizza-parts residue most often found on rentals if you did not get there RELEASE day Tuesday AM......

simple---- warm tap water with a "touch" of dish liquid. Just a dab on your finger. With disc under the tap... run your soapy finger ACROSS (not around the disc in a circular motion) the disc, from spindle opening to outer edge. About 8-10 across motions should do it. Rinse well. Lay on paper towel, both sides. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SCRUB DRY THE DISC WITH THE PAPER TOWEL.

Just lay the disc, both sides, on the towel... until all visible water is gone. Let air dry for a few minute before inserting into player. Blow air on it if you are in a hurry ;>)

For nastier "stuff"... pay $40. for Auric Illuminator and follow their instructions.

Actually, Auric is what I use on all my personal discs, dirty , or not. YMMV.

BOK

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If I ever scratched a DVD... I would cry. :frowning:
One time someone I know borrowed one of my DVDs and it came back w/ numerous fingerprints and scratches... needless to say I tore up his membership card ;)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Rob. One good thing about the few people that borrow my DVDs, they know how I like them mint. If they scratch one up (or someone else in their household) they apologize. If it's only one little light mark or so, I don't fret, but if it's any more, I have them buy me a new one and give them my old one. :P

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
I use a disc cleaner for CDs, CD-ROMs, DVDs, DVD-ROMs made by Scotch. You spray the disk a couple of times with solution that is provided, put the disk in a little plastic clam shell with a crank and crank it 20 times.

I also use a Maxell DVD player cleaner disk. I run that about 4 times every two weeks or so so I don't get that nasty skip or have it knock itself back to the beginning.

Anybody know anything about these products? They won't cause DVD Rot will they?-

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Antonino, you might not know this (being new and all)... but bumping is a NO NO (outside of the 'For Sale' sections).

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Especially when a few people have already answered your question. It's understandable to bump your thread if no one has posted to it for a few days, and you really need an answer. But to bump it after you've already had numerous answers, just 16 hours since the last post to the thread is definitely a no-no.

Antonino S

Stunt Coordinator
sorry guys i didnt know that. but i found a scratch docter
for cheep do you guys know if these work or not
thanks

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I use one and I think it works pretty good. I had a problem with Tomb Raider. I ran it through Skip Doctor, (these are sold under several names, Scratch Dr., Disk Dr., Skip Dr., etc.) Anyways, it fixed the bad one I was getting half way through the movie. But there is still a problem closer to the end so I have to run it through my Skip Dr. again.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You can clean a disc with tap water and dish soap?? This is the greatest thread I have ever read!! To think, all these years I've been wiping all my disc (from vinyl to DVDs) by pulling my t-shirt out from my belly and rubbing it all over the problem area in a willy-nilly fashion! I've had nothing but success doing this (other than pizza stains on my shirt from rentals) with many discs never again displaying problems. Now I can make my wife clean'em while she does the dishs!

PS (My wife dosn't read these so I can get away with that comment!)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
And even better Russell if you have a dish washer you can line up all your dvds in the machine and watch as the machine scrubs them sparkling clean.;)
My girl uses my dvds as temporary ashtrays or coasters, so regular washing and scrubbing dvds is essential in my house. In fact my Lord of the Rings dvds are in the kitchen as we speak, must go and get 'em, hang on.:D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I wouldn't reccomend putting it under running water. Water can become lodged between the disc layers, causing the glue to wear off a little. I had this happen when I cleaned a few of my discs under the faucet. I don't know if it will cause any permanent damage, but I could see water between the layers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks