What's new

How did you meet your spouse/significant other? (1 Viewer)

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
After making the comment about how I met my wife on this thread, I'm curious as to how others met.
Spill it!

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
When I was in college, I once went back to my old high school to babble at some old buddies. One of them introduced me to his girlfriend.

I was so happy to see him, I ran at him and tried to jump on him. She tried to stop me, and wound up taking a full body tackle.

Six years and three children later, she's standing here blushing.

(I didn't steal her from him; she attacked me. I was scared to rebuff her advances.)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I was a drummer in a 1980's (Big Hair) cover band and this very intelligent, down-to-earth, and quite beautiful woman walked into my life. We are now going on seventeen years together. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
17 years! Congrats Jeff!:)
The longest I ever lasted with the same woman was about 6-7 years back in the 80's.
I met Sandra a couple years ago when she moved in as a tenant in my house, my previous relationship had turned to shit, and as punishment for my sins Sandra came into my life!;)
She was young, 23, gorgeous and she had just broken up with her boyfriend in Germany and moved to London to start a new life and learn English. She was very shy of me at the beginning, and I still remember her standing outside my door and asking me quietly and politely if she can watch a movie with me in my room, or asking me if she can eat her food in my room, aaah memories!
Than I started taking her out for drinks and dinner, we started going to the pictures, I quickly taught her all the essential dirty English words, and the rest is history!
I sometimes miss that shy young girl.(wipes tear)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
This is one of the best topics to show up in After Hours in a long time... :)
When I tell people my story, they're surprised with how I met my wife Heather (rapidly closing in on 5 years of wedded bliss). I found her in one of those personal ad magazines. You see them in supermarkets and places like that, things like Dateline, The Dating Page, stuff like that. I found Heather in The Dating Page in 1994.
One day in the spring of '94 I went to Burger King for lunch. When I was there I noticed the Dating Page, so I figured for the heck of it I'd pick up a copy, since I hadn't dated in close to 7 years and was hoping to find someone, at that point just to be friends with, someone to go to the movies with, stuff like that. I wasn't even interested in a serious relationship, and marriage? Forget it, not for me! :)
As I'm leafing through the Dating Page, I circle some of the more interesting ads, particularly ones that aren't too far away, or too young or old, or do anything I find unattractive like smoking. I circled eight ads, and picked the four "most interesting" ones to respond to first. If I struck out with those, I'd write the next four. All along I had a "favorite", there was one, whose ad wasn't anything elaborate, but I just had a feeling about it. She was closest to my age, her physical description (hair/eyes/height) were a pretty close match to what I like, etc.
Fast forward a couple weeks. I get a message on my machine from "Heather". After a couple days of playing phone tag, we get in touch. After we talk for a few minutes, I figure out which ad is hers. It's the one I had the feeling about! We arrange to get together, in a public place of course for our first date, so we decided to have dinner together. When we first met, she was a little shy but we ended up hitting it off, and after dinner I walked her to her car and we ended up talking for another hour! Finally we said our goodbyes and headed home. We started seeing each other on a regular basis, but said to each other that we would just be friends, we wouldn't rush in to anything. Well, fate would dictate otherwise, and we were an "item" within 3 weeks of meeting. Here I am, a geek who hadn't dated in 7 years, and I met my soul mate on the first try! It was the ad I had a feeling about, she was the first one to call me back; in fact, by the time I got another call from someone whose ad I responded to, I had to turn them down because I'd found someone!
This was in the summer of 1994. We got married in May 1997. We're still very happy together, and will be for many years, I just know it! :D
KJP
(I told you I like this thread!!) :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
How we met isn't as interesting as how I "asked her out."

We'd worked to gether a few weeks and I was smitten, but she was much more attractive than any girl I'd been involved with.

So one night I was up at the store and she mentioned a play she'd like to see but would hate to go alone.

My brain processed that information and spit out, "uh, well there's that guy in your english class you talk about, take him."

"No," she said, "he's much younger than me."

Okay, I soaked that in, then came up with "what about your sitser?"

"No," she was beginning to lose patience.

"Well, uh...maybe I could go?" I finally got the hint.

I had a self esteem problem and if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be happily married for going on 7 years now.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
I met my better half in high school, working at Wendy's of all places. She hated me at first...I dated all the girls that worked with us. Another coworker dared me to go out with her, if I could even get her to go. It took me a while...but it is fifteen years later and we're still together.
She's great...I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
Thanks
Tim K.
;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
My wife was assigned the impossible task of training me to shelve books for my student job at the research library while we were both students at U.C.L.A. And we were more friends than anything for a few years, before deciding to be an item.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Cough cough, uhmmmmmm hum (very femininely).

I was the WICKED OTHER WOMAN took my guy awwway from another girl. (Of course we were in high school then, so I guess that’s allowed).

Walking down the hall of old alma mater on the way to Teacher-Parent conf. night, I looked over at him and said, “When you were chasing me around these halls, did you every dream….’ He quickly interrupted me and said, “I would have run like hell”.

...he did say this with a twinkle in his eye....

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I met my last boyfriend during a freak snowstorm. My car was stuck in my driveway and I desperately needed to get out to pick up my son from daycare. I had tried (in vane) to shovel my car out, and had collapsed in tears in the snow. He drove by in his van and said "you look like you could use some help." (His mother lived 2 houses down from mine and he drove over to deliver groceries to her. His van had snow chains and could drive through the worst weather.)
Well, he drove me to pick up my son - which took 4 hours because the roads were so bad. We talked alot and it turned out to be quite an harrowing ride. I bought him a bottle of wine as a "thank you"...and we had our first date a week later.
No happy ending though...we broke up last summer.
Oh well...he didn't really ever appreciate my home theater equipment anyway....;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I met my wife while playing together on a co-ed softball team. She accidently spilled a drink on me in the bar after a game (at least she claimed it was accidental ;) ). We've been married now for 12 years.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Much to my surprise and many other people's I met my wife at a Club of all places! Been married almost 4 years now.

Jeff

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I met my wife at my friends wedding. We were paired up together in the wedding party. I was actually engaged at the time so nothing happened. A couple months after my friends wedding, I broke up with the girl I was engaged to marry. A year later my friend came in town for business and I met him and the girl I stood up with in the wedding. We've been together 2 years before getting married. This year will mark our 5 year anniversary.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Met my girlfriend in middle school chior. We dated on and off throughout middle and high school. We started dating more seriously when she was in her senior year of high school. We bought a house together last summer, and I bought an enagement ring last week. Looking forward to giving it to her next month :)
BTW, she recently suggested that we get the 50" toshiba tv instead of the 42". Love that woman :)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I was working as a security guard at Nassau Community College and my wife was a student aide at the Information Center. I had always stopped by to say hello, but that's all because she had told me she was engaged.

I was also taking a couple of classes, so she offered to take me out for a drink to celebrate the end of the semester. I upgraded to dinner, and within a few weeks, she broke off her engagement, and the rest is history. 20 years this September.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Met my wife through IRC originally. We got talking, started emailing, got really friendly & started phoning each other. After a number of months, she suggested I come over to the US on holiday. I did, we hit it off like a house on fire - people thought we were an old married couple because of our rapport. I flew back to Scotland after inviting her over. She flew over two months later to spend New Year. We did that for a while - flying back & forth every few months, getting to know each other better. It definitely helped that she worked for an airline!
My job situation changed a little over two years ago, I used that as an opportunity to move to be closer to her. I proposed on her birthday in her favourite romantic spot - the Rose Gardens in Fort Worth - she accepted, we got married seven months later. We've been living here in DFW since, and it's our two year anniversary in May.
We were *definitely* friends first, then romantic. I'm a little dismissive of 'irc relationships' where the people get engaged first time they meet 'in real life'. It just seems a little too much too soon for me... I'm sorry if that applies to anyone here ;)

Frederick

Second Unit
I met my fiance' at a grocery store. We love telling this story ...
I was doing a little maintenence shopping (meaning stuff I forgot to get when I went shopping the first time), and I happened to walk down the cereal isle. It's been a long time since I've eaten anything that was 90% sugar, like Coco Puffs or Frosted anything, so I was looking at a box of something I knew I had no plan on purchasing, when she happened down the isle. Having recently broke up with my last girlfriend, I wasn't really looking to date or anything, so when she walked down the isle I didn't really notice her. But when she made a comment about my choice in breakfast cereal, she had my attention. She commented that I know I shouldn't be eating something like that, and I laughed and told her that I had no intention on buying it, that I was just remembering when I could eat this stuff without worrying about the contents. She didn't believe me! So then I told her that if she was so concerned about my eating habits, that she should take it upon herself to make me breakfast. She said "When?"! I was outdone! Of coures I was bluffing, and was expecting her to say something back, but not "When"! Since she called my bluff, I took the chance and had breakfast with her that next weekend. We hit it off instantly. And she made a pretty good breakfast to boot. We've had many a breakfast together since, and I'm looking forward to having many more with her in the future ...
Oh, and for those who were following my past threads, we found the ring, the date for our wedding is July 3rd, and we're having a big ceremony/reception for everyone who can't attend the wedding on March 30th :D ...
Freddy C.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I went to the same middle school but we didn't know each other. In high school, I went to the public high school and she went to a private one. My bus used to go right by her bus stop and I would see her every day (I thought she was cute). Senior year of high school, I got a job in the cafeteria at the local hospital and she happened to work there. A mutual friend of ours set us up, but neither one of us was interested in a serious relationship since we were going off to different colleges in the fall. That was in 1990. We got married in 1996 and have been married now for six years. While we were dating we also found out that her mother's boyfriend and my grandparents both had houses on the same stretch of beach near Plymouth, MA. We spent most of our childhood summers playing on the same beach, but we had never met until high school. When I look back on it, I can't help but think that someone was trying to tell us something.

MikeP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks