What's new

How did you meet your spouse/significant other? (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I was in Technical Writeing class with my college buddy. There was a girl who came in late allot so I always noticed her. I pointed her out to my buddy and he said he she was cute. I told him that I saw her first. He responded that if I dont ask her out he will. So the next day after class I asked her out on a date. After two and a half wonderfull years we broke up. Six months after that she married her next door neighbor. Im still friends with my college buddy to this day.

RogerB

Second Unit
I was her supervisor but nothing unethical happened. When we started dating she transferred to another department. Our first date was in May, 1989 and we got married in October, 1990. We worked at the same place until November, 2000.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Met my last g/f on a blind date too.
Heres mine:
I have been looking at a woman at work for a year. I didnt have a crush on her or anything, just thought she was really attractive. I got involved with 2 women from work at other jobs and neither worked out,so I was turned off by the idea of doing it again.
Anyway,someone at work opened their mouth and told her I thought she was adorable. We bagan talking and after about 2 months of the "getting to know you stuff" I asked her out.
She said "as friends" would be ok. She was very busy and doesnt have alot of time and also doesnt want to get involved with someone from work.
So we became friends and have been for the past 5 months.
About 2 weeks ago she asked me to come by and fix her computer at home. She made me dinner to thank me and as I was going to hug her goodbye she grabbed me and started kissing me. So were now seeing each other. I had NO idea she had changed her mind.When I asked what changed her mind she told me about bad past experiences, she was afraid,went on about taking chances,right place at the right time and fate - I think Im the luckiest guy in the world.The last time I was this crazy about a woman I was 17.
I dont know much,but I do know this is the woman I will marry.
BTW, shes also 12 years older than me :D

Darren H

Second Unit
I dont know much,but I do know this is the woman I will marry.
Jon, my wife and I had a similar experience. We spent about five months getting to know each other, hanging out as friends. By the time we both admitted our feelings to one another, our future was already set. I proposed spontaneously about a month after our first kiss. Good luck.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
How heartwarming....
Even though single, I'm not going to let that stop me. :D
I met my last girlfriend 22 years ago in college; I was painfully shy and was browsing through the classics section in the bookstore when Nancy came up and asked me to the opera. We went hot and heavy for a month or so (she was actually also my first girlfriend), and then she dumped me.
I always wondered what happened to her, and found her on classmates.com two years ago. Found she was divorcing and we struck things up again. But then just as we were talking about commitments moving etc she decided she preferred her stalker so she let him move in with her. Dumped again. We'll have to do this every 20 years or so. Women. :frowning:

John Beavers

Second Unit
I met my wife on the internet, through AOL. We romanced a little online, then met, and the rest his history :) I was really surpised to as I was about ready to swear off of AOL dating, as the 3 women I met prior to my current wife, on AOL, ended up as major pains for the ol' heartstrings.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Alas, I am still single so cannot contribute.
Ditto. The stories are nice, though. I will mention that I met one of my gfs at a BBS party, and she got my attention when she saw my nickname, and said out loud "Altair! Yes, from the movie Forbidden Planet!".

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the original title of the thread. I did not intend on excluding anyone (I am never rude to women ;)). I just don't really post here that much, I usually post mostly on sports forums, and I'm just used to posting with a bunch of guys. A forum with a larger amount of women is kinda different to me, but I like it.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I met my wife at a swing dance. Some background: I was in grad school at UVA and madly in love with a girl up in Boston (my previous residence). After my first semester, I went up for the whole winter vacation to be with her but we realized it wouldn't work out. I was devastated and had no idea how to meet women.

Then one day someone said, "Girls really like a guy who can dance". So I signed up for swing lessons. I first met Amy at a weekly swing workshop but I was still lamenting Aletta up in Boston. But...there was that...something about Amy, I couldn't put my finger on it, and I let it go.

Fast forward 3 months to a big weekend swing dance at UVA. I was 3 months better at swing and could easily hold my own with the intermediates, which made me a commodity at these dances. Well, there was this cute button of a girl sitting along the wall and I just had to ask her to dance. We spent the entire dance together dancing and talking (well, laughing mostly). She has the most electric personality and the best smile I have ever seen on a girl.

Well, I walked her back to a party where she was meeting up with her roommate, and we had more time to talk. We exchanged phone numbers and she called me a couple days later. The rest is history. By the way, our first kiss was the clincher. I waited a year to propose, but I knew that night she would be mine.

I am the luckiest guy in the world; this thread has made me realize that I need to tell her that more often. I guess that is the central theme here - all of us guys and girls feel like our spice (plural of spouse) are the best thing in the world. Hmmm...must be something in the air!

Jason

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for changing the Subject Line. I debated about whether I should say anything or not. :b
My love and I met through a newspaper ad, but not a personals ad. We were both fans of an obscure (in the US) musical artist named Kate Bush. He'd been a fan for about 3 years (saw her on Saturday Night Live) and I'd been a fan for about a year, and neither of us knew any other fans. He put an ad in a local freebie music paper (in Kansas City) which said "Kate Bush fan with records, videos would like to meet other fans to talk, trade" and just gave an address. No name. I flipped when I saw it because a) I didn't know any other fans, and b) they had VIDEOS!!, and I'd never seen any of her videos. I wrote him back and gave my phone number, not knowing if it was a man or a woman. He called me up.
We met a few days later and got along famously. So, we started out as friends but quickly fell in love. That was 1982, and we're still besotted, still hold hands and kiss in public, still consider ourselves soul-mates.
We had a lot in common to start with, but when we were going through that initial "getting-to-know-you" phase, there were a few very important unspoken "tests" we had to pass for each other to prove our compatibility. Three of these tests concerned movies. The first happened on a day a couple of weeks after we'd met. We were hanging around his apartment, listening to music and watching TV (he had MTV, which was then very new and interesting. I didn't know anyone else who had MTV! or cable! or a VTR!).
The movie The Elephant Man was starting on a movie channel (I assume HBO) and we decided to watch it. We threw down some pillows on the floor in front of the TV and settled in. We had both seen it before, but I think the decision to watch it was because we subconsciously needed this particular test to happen sooner rather than later. When, at the end, we were both crying and sharing a box of Kleenex, we knew that it was another sign that we were soul mates.
The other movie tests showed that we were both front, or very close to the front row people (I don't know that we'd be together if either of us had turned out to be a middle-of-the-theater sitter. I'm certain we wouldn't have lasted if either of us were a back row lover), and that we both have very eclectic tastes in films, from foreign language (subtitles only please) to classic b&w films, blockbusters (good ones) to indies, and could also appreciate mindless, turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy fare. The first movie we saw together in a theater was 48 Hrs! We had a great time and both loved it!
We're still pretty compatible film-wise. We each listed Moulin Rouge and Fellowship of the Rings as our favorite films from last year. The only real difference we have is that I love heaaaavy deeeepresssing dramas, and he doesn't, generally. For instance, I think The Ice Storm is brilliant, but I wouldn't make him see it. I still regret taking him to see Breaking The Waves. It's not a "chick flick" thing. He just doesn't like seeing really bad things happen to really good people. I don't think he's watched The Elephant Man since that day we watched it together. It's just too sad.
Well, uh, that's my story.
:p)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I met my wife working for a publishing company in New York City. I fell for her instantly. I'd find every possible reason to walk past her desk (at least 10 times a day) and try to say something witty. Then I'd go back to my desk slap my forehead and say "You Idiot" and wondered what she really thought of me. Well I guess persistence paid off because she slowly came around. We became friends and after a few months realized we had feelings for each other. The friendship bloomed into a relationship and here we are 7 years, 2 kids and 1 house later! It's been a great ride!

You can see our picture in the Members Photo Gallery.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
I must be the only one who met his fiance at .... well... it was kinda .... O.K. it was a topless bar :D
I guess its not as heart warming, but weve been together for five year now :emoji_thumbsup:
P.S. No she doesnt work there any more.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't have much of a story.
I met my soon-to-be wife when we were in college. She was working the dormitory desk in the building where I worked. we talked for quite a while and eventually started dating/hanging out. (it always felt like I was with a friend and never had the uneasiness of a date) The next thing I knew, about a year ago I was asking her to put up with me for the rest our lives...
Now the trick is figuring out how to keep her from going nuts with the ht equipment (or beating me to it ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks