What's new

How cool is this (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
They've been doing this sort of thing for almost 40 years with various forms of sea life, especially aquatic mammals. George C. Scott did a bad movie based on an equally bad novel, The Day of the Dolphin, back in the 1970s that used the same concept. (Albeit with talking dolphins and a total misunderstanding of the real program.)

Regards,

Joe

StephenA

Screenwriter
Wouldn't announcing that give the enemy a chance to look for the sea lions and other animals they use? It's still cool that they use them though. It shows that animals aren't as dumb as some people think. The story kind of reminds me of this seal named Hoover that lived at the New England Aquarium in the early '80s. Hoover could actually talk. A guy used to walk by and see Hoover every day for like 8 years I believe, and taught Hoover to say a few things. I don't remember the details exactly, because I was 6 the last time I saw him.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I wonder what was the first animal that humans used to complete a task. Dogs for hunting? Birds as messengers?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what was the first animal that humans used to complete a task.
Well, there's carrier pigeons and guard dogs - they've been going some time.

During WWII, the Russians trained dogs to walk up to enemy vehicles (such as tanks). The dogs had mines attached to them :frowning: . The trouble is that the Russians had conditioned the dogs on Russian vehicles, and when the dogs were let loose on the battlefield ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks