What's new

How can I stop persisting telemarketing calls. (1 Viewer)

Nick

Second Unit
I have registered my parents phone number with Do not call list but still keep getting this phone call from this company DAIMLER CHRYSLE1-913-851-6108 and when you call you get another answering machine that tells you that it's the wrong number and they would give you another number to call.
They have VOIP so what I did was if the number matches the number that they call the call will forward back to their number.
Now they would generate a new fake number so the call can go through.
Sometimes they call 5 times in one day.
It was at the point that I have to disable incoming call completely. when someone call they would hear busy signal right away. (they have another land line phone in the house)

I went online and checked, they still keep calling. Last night they call 6 times. They also call from this number 1-800-685-8300 but their name didn't show up on Call ID but it's still the same message when you call back.

I read that the new law just went through that telemarketer can not use Voice recorded message anymore and in OK you can even call the police if they don't stop calling. I wish it was the same in my state.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Do you have caller ID? If you do not recognize the number, don't pick it up. Most of the time they use computers to do the dialing. When you pick up it knows that it has a person as soon as you say "Hello". If it keeps getting another machine, it should figure that out and stop calling. Also that "do not call" list takes some time to become effective. Maybe a month?

Nick

Second Unit
Yeah, it has caller ID but it's kind of annoying that they call 4 to 5 times a day bright early morning. It's just the thought that you have to go to the phone and look it up who's calling. Just imagine yourself doing that 4 to 5 times a day.
EVERY DAY Monday thru Sunday ,that can get to you after awhile you know.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like a pain. My mother-in -law got a new cell phone. Evidently the number belonged to someone who had domestic troubles. She kept getting a recorded call from the sheriff dept saying that Mr so & so is being released from jail. Everything was computerized and password protected. Obviously she didn't know the password, so she could not get it to stop. After a few weeks I guess it expired. In the mean time here is a elderly woman with Parkinson's living alone in a new town getting calls every hour that someone is getting out of jail. :eek:
Can you turn the ringer off for a while and let the machine answer?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Nothing simipler:

The National Do-Not-Call Registry was created for exactly this purpose. I've registerd both my home and cell phones and almost never get telemarketing calls - and when I do, I gleefully report the buggers (which can result in fines for repeat offenders.)
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I had a similarly annoying caller a couple of years ago, even after signing up for the UK equivalent of the Do Not Call scheme. In the end, it dawned on me that the one thing that would get rid of these parasites was to fight fire with fire.

So the next time they called, I said the following:

Thank you for calling our advice line. Calls are charged at a rate of 10 pounds plus tax, per 15 seconds. Remaining on this line for longer than the next 5 seconds constitutes acceptance of these terms, and we can and will pursue payment, plus costs. Do you agree to these terms? If so, please may we have your name, title, and billing address.

Guess what - the phone went down at once and I was never bothered again. I still use this for any other cold callers who somehow slip under the radar. It's worked every time. Anyone who queries it gets met with:

By staying on the line, you have under UK and International Law agreed to enter into a contract with us. Please may I have your name and billing address? If you cannot provide this information, then please pass me to your manager. Please note that your call is logged and is traceable and we will pursue payment plus costs. Costs, calculated on time and effort involved are £200 plus tax.

No one yet has lasted to the end of this second statement.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Nick - I doubt that's a telemarketer call. It looks like it's DaimlerChrysler, the car manufacturer. They could be calling for a number of reasons, most likely a credit issue where someone gave your phone number (either on accident, they used to have your number, etc). If it's credit related the Do No Call registry rules don't apply.

Google the number for more information, and check whocalled.us.

I used to get a ton of calls from collection agencies on both my home and cell phone (for different people). I just kept telling them they had the wrong person and eventually they stopped.

Just one thing - NEVER give them personal information about yourself when you speak with them. They'll just link you up with their collection issue and then it will be YOUR collection issue.

john1allen

Auditioning
Real Name
john allen
Hi this is Allen I am new to this forum I saw your message it was good and interesting and we also deal with IT Services and BPO. In IT Services we deal with Mortgage Loan Processors, Underwriting Assistants, Graphic Designers, AutoCAD Assistants, Web Developers, and SEO Experts Etc. And in BPO we deal with domestic Market or International market.

Telemarketing

John Allen

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wow. Last post here was August 2008, but this thread appeared for me in Recent Activity this morning. I've seen this happen several times over the past few months, so now I'm curious: WTF?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Wow. Last post here was August 2008, but this thread appeared for me in Recent Activity this morning. I've seen this happen several times over the past few months, so now I'm curious: WTF?

I came here via the same path, Charles. What happens is the thread is "revived" by a spammer. Their post gets deleted but then the thread is kicked back up to the top of the recent activity list.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We put all unwanted numbers on the "Do Not Call" list. We also have a zapper, which is fabulous. It works just about every time. For those numbers that are somehow able to get through, we just enter them manually from our phone tray and then the next time those numbers are incoming, they get zapped. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks