What's new
World Wide Stereo

How can I make my surround speakers to sound better (1 Viewer)

usvidub

Auditioning
Real Name
Vipin D
It could be a very stupid question but is there a way I can make my surround speakers to sound better? Here is my configuration:

Yamana RX-A 830 Receiver

Front R/L - Klipsch RB 61 II Reference Seried

Center - Polk CSI A4

Surround - Polk RTI A1

When I connect these Polk RTI A1 speakers to the front channels they sound good but in the surround position they sound pretty mediocre. I think surround channel is not supposd to sound like the front channel but is there anything I could do to improve the sound coming out of surround channels?

And I am still in the 'return' period and so far I liked Klipsch better than the polk. So I am thiking if I should return Polk and get Klipsch for my surround and center channel. Klipsch are producing better highs & mids and that's what I like for music at low volume. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

728x90

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you love the horn, you love the horn...your only prescription for that illness is more horns. Return the Polks to get Klipsch but make sure you get the matching center speaker too. You really should have the front speakers matching from the same series.

Also keep in mind the surround channels are not the full range of sound like you're going to get out of the mains especially when listening to music. You should try a multi-channel stereo mode on your AVR to see if that helps any. That should put the full signals to all your speakers, except for the xover points you have set. That might help it sound better when you're listening to music.

usvidub

Auditioning
Real Name
Vipin D
Phil A said:
How are your speakers positioned in the room and how did you set them up?

Hey Phil

I have my L/R and Center channel in the front of the room and surround at the apposite end of the room in corners. I used included microphone YPAO to setup these speakers. After setup I had to increate the volume on my surround speakers.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ideally, the surrounds should go on the side walls just a little bit behind and slightly above the main seats. They should be pointed inward towards each other or very slightly towards the main seats.

Double check to see that you have the wires correct (+ to +, - to -). Also, what kind of wire did you use? It doesn't have to be expensive, but it should be at least 14-16 gauge.

Lastly, check to make sure you are feeding it a proper signal. And remember that just because there are 5 speakers does not mean they are all used in every movie. Most of the sound will be from the center speaker.

usvidub

Auditioning
Real Name
Vipin D
ArmSC said:
If you love the horn, you love the horn...your only prescription for that illness is more horns. Return the Polks to get Klipsch but make sure you get the matching center speaker too. You really should have the front speakers matching from the same series.

Also keep in mind the surround channels are not the full range of sound like you're going to get out of the mains especially when listening to music. You should try a multi-channel stereo mode on your AVR to see if that helps any. That should put the full signals to all your speakers, except for the xover points you have set. That might help it sound better when you're listening to music.

I ordered Klipsch RB-42 for center channel. I hope to balance my front channels with all Klipsch.

usvidub

Auditioning
Real Name
Vipin D
David Willow said:
Ideally, the surrounds should go on the side walls just a little bit behind and slightly above the main seats. They should be pointed inward towards each other or very slightly towards the main seats.

Double check to see that you have the wires correct (+ to +, - to -). Also, what kind of wire did you use? It doesn't have to be expensive, but it should be at least 14-16 gauge.

Lastly, check to make sure you are feeding it a proper signal. And remember that just because there are 5 speakers does not mean they are all used in every movie. Most of the sound will be from the center speaker.

I checked all my speakers are connected in the correct phase. I am using C&E 14-gauge copper wire.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
The content youre testing with makes a huge difference. In old Dolby Surround, the surround channels (and center, if memory serves) were limited in bandwidth, 1kHz to 10kHz or something like that (don't quote me on that). Not so in Dolby Digital and beyond. So if you're playing music and turn on Dolby PL IIx Movie/Music/Game and don't like what you hear from surrounds, it's because even in Dolby encoded 2.0 channel content, the surrounds won't do much. If the surround speakers sounded great while hooked up to Left and Right, then it's not the speakers' fault.

Better to play some music and turn on Yamaha' 7-ch Stereo mode. Now you'll get full bandwidth sound from every speaker.

If your AVR is like mine, you can get pink noise from each speaker by turning on Test Tone, then trying each PEQ setting ... click to select, then click AGAIN to see he adjustment curves for each channel. Just as you get tone for each channel in the Level setting, the PEQ channel graphs play back test tone.

BTW, if I understand YPAO and PEQ correctly, the adjustment graphs will compensate for different brands' speakers characteristics in each position (also correcting for the room). So if you use a PEQ profile, you're not locked into having the same makers' speakers ... though it certainly doesn't hurt.

Hope this helps....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks