What's new

How can I eliminate/minimize the LF "hole" in my sub/sat system? (fairly long) (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi. Sorry for the length here. I have the Mirage AVS-500 satellite speaker system along with the Mirage FRX-s8 sub. I'm not sure if there is a "hole" in the frequency spectrum that is output through the speakers, but if there is, I want to know how to minimize or eliminate it.

According to Mirage's website, the main, center, and surround speakers have a frequency response of 90Hz-20KHz, +/- 3dB and the sub has a frequency response of 20Hz-100KHz, +/- 3dB (although I wonder if that's a misprint on the sub; I think it's probably 100Hz at the high end and not 100 KHz). It has a low pass filter which I have set all the way to 100Hz and a volume control which is nearly all the way up (about 9 to 9.5 out of 10).

I have all of this connected, through low level (?) connections (with a Monster subwoofer cable), to a Yamaha RX-V596 receiver. I have the receiver's speaker setting at "small" and the main LFE control on the receiver at around 6 or 7 (out of 10). The DD and DTS LFE controls on the receiver are set all the way at 10. I do not have any external crossovers to deal with.

The room that all of this is in is about 12 by 10. I do have the Avia calibration disc, but I'm not well-versed in using it or an SPL meter for sound calibration. As I said at the outset, my main goal here is to minimize or eliminate any low-frequency "hole" that may be inherent in my system. Please chime in with your expertise. Thanks.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I have a suite of DefTech speakers. I use the Pro Mon 100s for my mains. I also have a PF15TL powered sub. My system kicks butt for movies (on my modest budget). But i too have a midrange hole that is noticable on 2-channel music. I think this is a factor in many systems where you cannot utilize a "full range" speaker up front.

Since I use my system for mostly movies, I haven't wanted to address this at this point. But I suppose you could hook a passive sub in series with your mains. You would have to tweak the settings a bit, but it could help.

Then again, I could have no idea what I am talking about....

Marc H

Second Unit
Clint,
If the sub has high level in and out, you could try connecting the sub from your main left and right speaker wire outputs on the receiver and then connect the left and right speakers to the high level out on the sub. Re-set the receiver to no sub and large for the left and right speakers and set the low pass filter on the sub to 90hz.
That does wonders on some sat/sub systems, especially the ones that use high pass filters in the satellite speakers.
Let me know if that does the trick.

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
I think Marc is right on target. You may want to see if you like the sound better the sub xover at 100 Hz if the speakers are down 3dB at 90 Hz. Many receivers used a fixed crossover for large/small at 80 Hz.

There is a test on the Avia disk that walks down in frequency. In concert with the SPL, you'll have no problem finding the drop outs. Of course, once you run this test, you will probably start seeing the effect of the room on your bass response. Trying to reduce those effects are where the real fun begins. ;).

Take care and good luck.
Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks