What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In other news.
My dad figured out how to get his pool pump back together so I didnt have to go over there.
I still can’t get him to understand that this pump is old and the motor is probably on its last legs.

Also the parent news just keeps getting worse.
Dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer late last year.
Tumors in and on the bladder.
Dr tried to scrape them but that was useless.
So next week he has to go in and have bladder removed.

Making it worse is he will be kept there for minimum ten days with no visitors allowed.
It’s going to be a long ten days for him.
He cannot sit still so ten days in there is going to be a challenge for him and anyone else he’s in there with.

Mom, who is 77 lives in Delaware with her husband who is dying of a serious lung disorder was walking her little dog a couple days ago when she fell and hit her head and was knocked out.

They live in a complex that is apartments but is a full health care facility from the time they moved in until they die they are completely taken care of.
So luckily someone saw her fall and she was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

A huge gash on her face and a broken bone in her neck.

Heavily medicated and out of it so can’t really speak with anyone for a few days.

Welp.
Wow. That’s, that’s just a lot! I hope you’re doing ok amidst the family chaos and crises.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I knew I should have moved to New Zealand.
;)

Seriously, though, good on them for taking it seriously and making the hard decisions early on. I fully understand that what they implemented would not have gone over particularly well here (nor would it even be easily enforceable even if it were).

But if when something even nastier than COVID comes along in the years to come (i.e. significantly higher R0 and mortality rates) then we know the playbook countries will have to enact to combat it. Maybe they can codename it The New Zealand Protocol. That sounds like a book/movie/series waiting to happen.

Considering New Zealand's apparently #1 (and top 2-3 by significant margin) on the Cato Institute's Freedom Index, maybe I'll just move there w/ my wife before too long -- she has a beloved uncle there we rarely get to see (and is one of only 2 surviving close relatives of hers from that generation (or older)... while the other's out on West Coast... and most of mine are in Hong Kong or thereabouts at least much of the time). Too bad we'd have a hard (near impossible) time convincing my mother to move w/ us -- it's the main reason we're still in NYC instead of almost anywhere else...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah. Would be easier if my wife actually lived at home and wasn’t working in Minneapolis.
Fun times these are.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think gloves provide a false sense of security. It's like some people don't believe that germs will adhere to gloves the same as they do to skin.
For some people, but not for me. I'm always disinfecting my hands and anything else I touch after taking off my gloves and disposing of them. Like Carlo having gloves on is a reminder to me, not to touch my face. By cutting down the number of shopping trips, I have started to have with me two plastic bags, one with clean wipes in them and a second one for used wipes and my disposal of my gloves. When I get back home and after washing my hands, I wipe down my car, door nobs and anything else I touched while disposing of my wipe plastic bags and putting away my groceries. Then I wash my hands again.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Is everyone wearing gloves when they go shopping? If so, what kind of gloves? I'm wear disposable nitrile gloves.

Same here.

I'm not convinced on gloves.

I work in a medical environment and they are now mandatory for all of us.

I believe they are likely a reasonable first line of defense when you're constantly having to touch things such as door knobs, etc. As others have pointed out, they also help me remember to avoid touching my face. When I'm ready to leave the office I'm in on any given day I wash my hands with the gloves on, carefully discard them and then wash my bare hands and face. I also wear a full-body [bunny] suit to protect my clothing.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As has been repeatedly pointed out: there is no 100% avoidance. It's all about reducing the likelihood of infection and infecting others. As such, proper use and disposal (or cleaning) of gloves and masks are all about reducing the percentages. Sure, it's not zero. But if done right, I'll take those odds over not wearing anything every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The trick is to get the majority of the population doing it, and that would really result in a meaningful decline of spread.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have disposable gloves and wasn’t able to find any. I’m of the thinking that I’d be at greater risk going to store after store looking for these now hard to find items than I would be taking just one trip every couple weeks to one store and getting in and out as quickly as possible.

I definitely fidget and to keep myself from touching my face or other stuff I shouldn’t when out and about, I've been wearing a light jacket over everything and will just futz with stuff in the jacket pocket. The jacket stays in the quarantine area of the apartment and doesn’t get worn for anything else. So when I’m in the store, my hands are in my pockets until I see an item I want, and once that’s in my basket, the hand not holding the basket goes back into the pocket. It may not be perfect but I think it’s working well enough to trick me out of my worst habits.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have been off work due to my employer rotating every 2 weeks. I just received a text Message stating that they are Closing until further notice

I have received a few packages from Amazon this week, I spray the boxes with Lysol, remove the contents and immediately take the boxes and all packaging to the Recycle bin outside my house. I wipe down everything now. Doorknobs especially every time I open or close them

I keep busy with projects indoors. Today, for example, I Repackaged my Miami vice, Pacific Blue and Silk Stalkings season 6-8 Mill Creek releases in CD/DVD Plastic cases. Kept the original packaging cases and bookended them

I will be doing the 50th anniversary Moon puzzle as soon as I Can glue one I just finished .. Hopefully tomorrow

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I imagine New Zealand's doing well also in part because it's mainly just a couple fairly remote islands (on top of being fairly low density) and much easier to isolate once they decide to do so.

Last I checked, Taiwan has also been doing great likely for similar reasons, except they have very high density (probably similar to much of the greater NYC or LA metro area), including being much better prepared and much more ready to act than most other countries and especially compared to the West.

Something similar might be said for Singapore as well... though they aren't quite as remote (and are certainly also very densely populated)...

Of course, unlike here, they also don't have to deal w/ as much red tape, layers of govt, etc given how small they are...

_Man_

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
collage bridge.jpg
I guess in part to deal with the stress, I took a bike ride in a place I'd never been before, and saw an abandoned road and an abandoned small bridge....

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, I just visited Target since they have their new rules in place about limiting people in their stores. You now have people lined up like it's Black Friday. They're spaced out about six feet or so. However, they're only letting them in one at a time and spacing their entrance into the store by about a minute. I was wondering why so many cars were parked prior to the store opening. Luckily, I was fifth in line, but what a PITA. There must have been 20-25 people behind me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, I just visited Target since they have their new rules in place about limiting people in their stores. You now have people lined up like it's Black Friday. They're spaced out about six feet or so. However, they're only letting them in one at a time and spacing their entrance into the store by about a minute. I was wondering why so many cars were parked prior to the store opening. Luckily, I was fifth in line, but what a PITA. There must have been 20-25 people behind me.
Wow I just read the following article about Michigan. What I don't understand if you're limiting the amount of people in the stores then why are you restricting them from buying certain products. To me, that's BS as people who are stuck at home can't even complete some home projects now. IMO, the Covid-19 issues here in Michigan has nothing to do with the selling of those products.

On Thursday, April 9, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer extended her "Stay Home, Stay Safe," executive order through the end of April.

As part of Executive Order 2020-42, Whitmer also placed restrictions on stores including how many people are allowed in the store at a time and what type of items they can sell.

Large stores must limit the number of people inside to no more than four customers for every 1,000 square-feet of customer floor space. Small stores must limit capacity at 25 percent of the total occupancy limits.

Large stores must also close areas of the store that are dedicated to carpeting, flooring, furniture, garden centers, plant nurseries, or paint.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Dr Fauci says world will never get 'back to normal' after coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-never-normal-coronavirus-threat-remain.html

That is a total nonsense headline that should be completely ignored. Just for that I'm going to show up at your door and give you a big hug and kiss...forget the handshake or social distancing thing. You will pay!

1 kiss.jpg

'If "back to normal" means acting like there never was a coronavirus problem, I don't think that's going to happen until we do have a situation where you can completely protect the population [with a vaccine],' Fauci said before clarifying his previous use of the phrase.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
With all seriousness, I disagree. Old Normal is gone. A new normal will emerge.

I agree there should be some permanent changes, social distancing is not one of them. The changes that must occur have to do with better reaction to and better measures against a virus like this hitting us this hard. We know for example that much of this problem begins in China. Pressure must be put on them to shutdown their wet markets. They must be fully cooperative with the global community in actively taking preventative steps and sharing health information in real time...meaning everything as it occurs. All nations must work together in this effort.

The reason these things tend to start in China is their massive population, the rapid expansion and growth building basically brand new cities at an alarmingly rapid rate, which destroys natural habitats displaces both animals and insects causing things like pigs being exposed to bats in large numbers which makes the food animals ill and passes the illness on to humans. Only the other day China finally reclassified dogs from essentially a food animal to pets. They have to do more than that.

We can't eradicate all germs and viruses but we can work to address the impact. We as a species have survived for a long time and have been through things like the Spanish flu in 1918 but today with the science and technology available to us we can in much faster time react and prevent things like this Covid 19 problem.

The fact this happened is a disgrace but it did not happen because we were not social distancing and wearing masks all along and those things were not what prevents it...those were just mitigating steps to slow it down. Those are the "in an emergency steps" not the preventative steps.

This played out in the United States the way it did because our government stalled BECAUSE they did not want to impact the economy. So really there IS a financial component to this that should not be in play here when we are dealing with the lives and safety of the population.

We need to permanently change that and put the lives and health of people ahead of some person's stocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks