What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You guys do realize that the masks and social distancing were only to lessen the chance that a person with the virus could cough or sneeze on you, right? Once this virus has died off and/or if we are vaccinated we can go back to tongue kissing and spitting on each other. And if Halle Berry invites me over for a make-out session today, I'm going!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys do realize that the masks and social distancing were only to lessen the chance that a person with the virus could cough or sneeze on you, right? Once this virus has died off and/or if we are vaccinated we can go back to tongue kissing and spitting on each other. And if Halle Berry invites me over for a make-out session today, I'm going!
When the vaccine gets here then get back to me. Furthermore, you're assuming everybody is going to get vaccinated. That's far from a given.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In other news.
My dad figured out how to get his pool pump back together so I didnt have to go over there.
I still can’t get him to understand that this pump is old and the motor is probably on its last legs.

Also the parent news just keeps getting worse.
Dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer late last year.
Tumors in and on the bladder.
Dr tried to scrape them but that was useless.
So next week he has to go in and have bladder removed.

Making it worse is he will be kept there for minimum ten days with no visitors allowed.
It’s going to be a long ten days for him.
He cannot sit still so ten days in there is going to be a challenge for him and anyone else he’s in there with.

Mom, who is 77 lives in Delaware with her husband who is dying of a serious lung disorder was walking her little dog a couple days ago when she fell and hit her head and was knocked out.

They live in a complex that is apartments but is a full health care facility from the time they moved in until they die they are completely taken care of.
So luckily someone saw her fall and she was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

A huge gash on her face and a broken bone in her neck.

Heavily medicated and out of it so can’t really speak with anyone for a few days.

Welp.

Tony,
So sorry to hear about your parents health issues. Dealing with elderly parents can be a traumatic task. We went through something similar recently with my father, who passed away in December after a long battle with cancer. I hope for the best with your dad's upcoming surgery.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think the dead are happy to have sacrificed their lives so a few people can have even more money than they will ever be able to spend.

I do think it's true that all the people that have lost a friend, family member, husband, daughter, son, wife to this are thrilled they could contribute to what is in some fat cat's wallet. Hell, they are probably trying to make sure more of their friends and family die so stocks will rise and some clown can go buy three more yachts and a better private jet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow I just read the following article about Michigan. What I don't understand if you're limiting the amount of people in the stores then why are you restricting them from buying certain products. To me, that's BS as people who are stuck at home can't even complete some home projects now. IMO, the Covid-19 issues here in Michigan has nothing to do with the selling of those products.

There's not much logic coming out of our governor's office these days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am making the assumption here, Robert, that you and I and Tino will all get vaccinated.
Don't be too sure of that as I've never had a flu shot in my life. Now, this is different, but I need to do some real research before I get such a vaccination for Covid-19. Don't get me wrong, I believe in vaccinations, I'm just a scary cat when it comes to needles.:blush:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Don't be too sure of that as I've never had a flu shot in my life. Now, this is different, but I need to do some real research before I get such a vaccination for Covid-19. Don't get me wrong, I believe in vaccinations, I'm just a scary cat when it comes to needles.:blush:

Well, I would encourage you, Robert, to try to get past that fear and get the vaccination for your sake and for the sake of those that care about you. It's quick and could extend the time you get to spend here on this beautiful blue green ball doing the things you enjoy doing with the people you enjoy doing it with.

I know loads of people that say they have never had a flu shot and yes, some of us have stronger immune systems than others but wouldn't it be nice in a time like this to not have to worry about catching Covid 19 or passing it on to someone you care about?

I know some people will not get vaccinated and there is little we can do about that but they are the potential future victims and as it is in nature...that's how the herd is culled.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I would encourage you, Robert, to try to get past that fear and get the vaccination for your sake and for the sake of those that care about you. It's quick and could extend the time you get to spend here on this beautiful blue green ball doing the things you enjoy doing with the people you enjoy doing it with.

I know loads of people that say they have never had a flu shot and yes, some of us have stronger immune systems than others but wouldn't it be nice in a time like this to not have to worry about catching Covid 19 or passing it on to someone you care about?

I know some people will not get vaccinated and there is little we can do about that but they are the potential future victims and as it is in nature...that's how the herd is culled.
I will get the vaccine, but I will be doing a lot of research about it prior to getting pricked. Again, I'm not anti-vaccine. I believe in them to a certain extent. Again, there is a big difference between Covid-19 and the flu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do think it's true that all the people that have lost a friend, family member, husband, daughter, son, wife to this are thrilled they could contribute to what is in some fat cat's wallet. Hell, they are probably trying to make sure more of their friends and family die so stocks will rise and some clown can go buy three more yachts and a better private jet.
I'm reminded of an episode of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns tells Homer that he can't pay him much of a reward for returning a beloved item and then the ceiling caves in with tons of gold coins, bags of money and a jeweled crown falling on top of him. Then Burns says "As you can see, this old place is falling apart."

images

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is everyone wearing gloves when they go shopping? If so, what kind of gloves? I'm wear disposable nitrile gloves.

I work in a medical environment and they are now mandatory for all of us.

When I'm ready to leave the office I'm in on any given day I wash my hands with the gloves on, carefully discard them and then wash my bare hands and face.
OK, so I looked again and found a box of latex gloves. I know I had nitrile gloves at one time, but I can't find them. After this discussion, I decided that if I could find some gloves, I might as well wear them when I go to the store. I was hoping to only do that once this month, but it'll probably be at least twice. I can then disinfect them with isopropyl alcohol before I take them off. Then wash my hands. My comments about gloves was really more about people wearing them and believing that in itself solved the problem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OK, so I looked again and found a box of latex gloves. I know I had nitrile gloves at one time, but I can't find them. After this discussion, I decided that if I could find some gloves, I might as well wear them when I go to the store. I was hoping to only do that once this month, but it'll probably be at least twice. I can then disinfect them with isopropyl alcohol before I take them off. Then wash my hands. My comments about gloves was really more about people wearing them and believing that in itself solved the problem.
I don't think many of us will disagree with you about that point.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow I just read the following article about Michigan. What I don't understand if you're limiting the amount of people in the stores then why are you restricting them from buying certain products. To me, that's BS as people who are stuck at home can't even complete some home projects now. IMO, the Covid-19 issues here in Michigan has nothing to do with the selling of those products.
Unbelievable. I was at Wal Mart yesterday, and I heard some announcement about limiting the number of people in the store. I didn't even pay attention, at this point I'm so stressed when shopping everything is just background noise to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unbelievable. I was at Wal Mart yesterday, and I heard some announcement about limiting the number of people in the store. I didn't even pay attention, at this point I'm just so stressed when shopping everything is just background noise to me.
After Meijers reduced their hours and started opening up at a certain time, I agree about limiting the amount of people into the store as it became a Black Friday situation. It was especially bad with those special hours for seniors and people with medical conditions. I don't think you want a mob of such folks in a packed store. However, I do have issues with them limiting what people can purchase at those stores.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am making the assumption here, Robert, that you and I and Tino will all get vaccinated.
I most definitely will. I haven't been in the habit of getting the flu shot, but at 55 I'm getting to the age where I need to make more of a habit of it. I've always had a robust immune system, which shows up in how seldom I need to get my teeth cleaned, but age will change that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
After Meijers reduced their hours and started opening up at a certain time, I agree about limiting the amount of people into the store as it became a Black Friday situation. It was especially bad with those special hours for seniors and people with medical conditions. I don't think you want a mob of such folks in a packed store. However, I do have issues with them limiting what people can purchase at those stores.

It makes no difference to me. No matter how hard I try, "social distancing" is not an option as every single time I go shopping no one obeys the rule. lots of people wearing masks, but no one stays 6 feet from me no matter how hard I try. I gave up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It makes no difference to me. No matter how hard I try, "social distancing" is not an option as every single time I go shopping no one obeys the rule. lots of people wearing masks, but no one stays 6 feet from me no matter how hard I try. I gave up.
I noticed a difference when I shopped at Meijers this week just before closing. People maintain their distances better and it might be due to not as many people there compared to their peak shopping hours.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Funny story. A coworker went to Asia late last year and brought something really nasty back to work in November. She came in one day, thought it was a cold, then took the rest of a week or so off to recover. When she came back she was still coughing and crap but was otherwise normal. She's 22, just out of college. The rest of the office is also young, I'm the most senior in my forties. Of course she knocked out the rest of the office suite for a couple of weeks. I would have called it one of the nastiest colds I'd ever gotten, with an upper respiratory tract component, so labored breathing. No fever that I can recall though I never thought to take my temperature. Took us all a couple of weeks to get back, but our coughs lingered into early 2020. When coronavirus and COVID hit, we all joked that she'd been patient zero, but of course we all still adhered strictly to social distancing. On our Zoom calls we still joke that "obviously we're all still healthy because we already got it from her..."

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-covid-19-herd-immunity-california/6091220/
From the article:
Stanford researchers are looking into the possibility that coronavirus first hit California undetected last year, much earlier than anyone realized, and was only seen at that time as a particularly nasty and early flu season.

As a result, the theory says, many Californians have already unknowingly been exposed to the coronavirus and have developed immunity to it.

"When you look at other states, it doesn't quite explain completely why California has been more fortunate, especially when it should be the least fortunate," said Victor Davis Hanson, senior fellow with the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.
Now I really, really want to get an antibody test, if someone near me has it available. I showed it to the team, she replies "if you test positive for antibodies...you're all welcome." :eek: :rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks