What's new

How a calibration disk changed my HT (1 Viewer)

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Ok gang. I'm no stranger to HT, and I'm no stranger to calibration with an SPL meter. I just want to share my thoughts about my recent purchase of Sound and Vision's Home Theater Set-up DVD changed my HT.

I had used VE in the past, as well as THX optimode. The VE was with my old set-up, so that's a mute point. I don't have it any more. I had my current HT setup calibrated with the Denon's internal tones, but the bass seemed low, and I had to boost it about 5 more db to be satisfied.

With the new setup DVD, speaker levels were within 1 db or so of being the same as the Denon's tones, but the difference was in the subwoofer settings. This DVD has various subwoofer set-up options, which are great! The final result was that when set to the SAME level as my mains, no HOT settings, my subwoofer level had to be boosted +5! That was about an 8 db difference when compared to my internal test tones. I imagine that the DVD was able to sample my subwoofer over a broader FR, rather than focusing on my in room peak that I have at around 70hz that my Denon was likely picking up.

Now, my HT is awesome now that it's properly calibrated. My bass is so enjoyable and really kicks ass. Thanks SVS and Sound and Vision for a great combo. Of course the Klipsch and Denon components rock as well.

BTW, the new DVD software's tones had to be adjusted at 85 db to get the same levels as my internal tones at 75 db.

Troy

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
Hei Troy,

I've been looking for someone who can confirm this, maybe you can help.

I just recently bought the S&V HT Tune Up disc as well. What I'm trying to find out is at what dB should I be adjusting my system w/ this disc, since the disc itself was very vague about it? 85dB or 75dB?

Since you have a VE also, I was wondering whether you know or can do a little bit of testing on it. Thx a lot!

If your internal test tone and VE is recorded at the same level, I guess I should calibrate my system at 85dB too, huh?

Joel

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Troy:

This information is of interest to me. I have another thread asking about why when I installed my Denon receiver the sub volume seemed to drop off somewhat. I have not purchased the SPL meter or any test disk yet. But you saying you had to put it at +5 to have a level match makes me think that is all that's going on here.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Joel,

I set my receiver to 00, and calibrated to 85db. I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Eric,

Don't waste your time. Go get an SPL meter now. That along with the Cal DVD will cost you about $50, which is the best money you can spend on your HT.

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks