What's new

Horizontal reddish line, convergence doesn't seem to fix (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Ok, got my freebie Toshiba TP61G60 fixed for 350 bucks which included the house call fee. Not bad although I could have fixed it had I known what the problem was. Two IC's went out in the power supply. Works like a charm now.

One problem, there is a noticeable line horizontally across the whole screen near the center. It appears redish, mostly noticeable with skin tones etc. I've set the convergence and it's perfect, I've adjusted the convergence in that area to try and compensate for the problem but it doesn't seem to affect it. Is there another way I can address this?

Thanks,

Darren

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How thick?
Reddish and dimmer than the overall scene, or reddish and brighter than the overall scene?
Did you observe the techician all the while he was fixing the TV?
There is one cause that we hope it is not. If at some time the green and/or blue sub-images managed to get shrunk down to a horizontal line (vertical size of zero) the green and/or blue phosphors could be burned in seconds resulting in severely reduced brightness of those colors which inturn will make that part of the screen appear more red.
Play the solid color frames of Video Essentials or Avia to get an idea of which color's circuits are responsible for the problem.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi Allan,

Thanks for the response. I'll try and describe it better.

It is the size of one horizontal line of resolution. It isn't that noticeable except for when certain tones of color are present in that spot. is centered and goes across the whole screen. The color on the set are all fine, no fade in those colors and the brightness of the screen is quite good all over with the exception of some darkening in the corners. It is less aparent when watching DVD but it still there. It looks as though the convergence could have been off and the red was coming through more but I checked it in the service menu and it is fine.

It isn't blatant but it is there. My wife noticed it first.

Darren

PatrickLG

Agent
Burned phosphors on one of the CRTs.
This is usually caused by someone opening up the screen VRs too high while the picture in service (collapsed) mode.
The adjustment procedure calls for turning these adjustmemts all the way down before collapsing the picture, then opening them up untill a line is barely visible. If the pots were all the way up while collapsing the picture the level would be so intense, the CRTs ill have a permanent burn-in of that nature.

Darren_T

Second Unit
So, this was probably caused by the repairman unless it was present before I got the set eh?

Costly repair I'm guessing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks