Horizontal anomaly travelling up screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Daren Welsh, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Last night, I noticed that the picture isn't perfect on my Mits 65908. There's a horizontal "line" (more like band of deformation) that slowly travels up the screen and then reappears at the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if this is due to a bad power supply or if something is wrong with the TV, but it needs to be fixed. Ideas?

2. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I'm not much help but I have had that same thing before, and I got suggestions like checking if any light dimmers or ceiling fans are on. It only occurred watching TV, not on DVDs.

3. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a ground loop problem. Read this.

4. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

Ground loops info and solving

More troubleshooting

If you have had this tv and system for a while and nothing has been changed/added by you and it just now starting this, there maybe a bad capacitor somewhere. Disconnect everything. Temporarily put a pair of rabbit ears on and see if you get the symptom on any of the off-air stations. You'll need a strong signal though.
    If you don't see symptom on tv, then connect cable or directtv back. If no symptom then connect your system one piece at a time to isolate which piece has bad cap in it.

A lot of work but it's worth it.