What's new

Hooking up a Beringer Parametric EQ (1 Viewer)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I just bought a Beringer EQ. I was planning on plugging it into a switched outlet on the back of my receiver, but I just relized that the power cord for the EQ is a 3prong and the switched outlets on the back of my receiver is 2 prong, what can I do to have this so the EQ turns on when my receiver turns on?

Thanks!

BruceD

Screenwriter
Since the BFD doesn't have a turn-on mute capability (it will cause a pop in the sub when turned on), I'd plug it in to a wall outlet and leave it turned on all the time. It draws very little power in idle mode.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Well, I should have been more specific, the unit I ordered is the Ultra-Q Pro PEQ2200. There is some stuff in the manual I got on-line about a Relay-Controlled Hard Bypass, does that mean if the unit is not turned on that the signal will still pass through? If so I don't have a problem turning it on just when I would want to turn the unit on. For example I'd probably turn it on all the time, but my wife probably would rather not mess with it. Anyway, I don't think it has a 'idle mode' like the BFD does......

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Here's what the manual says about that hard bypass function....

The audio in/out switch is used to enable/disable the entire equalizer sectio in the audio path. The switch uses a relay-controlled hard-bypass function, i.e. as long as it is not pressed OR IF THE UNIT IS SWITCHED OFF, the inputs are directly connected to the outputs.

So, doesn't that mean if the unit is switched off, that the signal will still go throuh? Like I said, I can turn the unit on when I want to use it, but my wife won't want to. I don't like the idea of leaving it on all the time.....I really need some type of relay that could use the output fromt the switched receiver outs to turn on power through a separate outlet.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Buy a line conditioner with turn on delay outlets. Monster makes one and Panamax makes a few. I have a Panamax MAX5100 and it does a great job.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I've got a Monster HTS 1000 MKII, doesn't look like it does that, looks like I would have had to get the HTS 1000 CI.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Blaine you could also buy one of the power strips that has a current sensing master switch. Sears sells a model in their tools area thats intended to allow one tool to power up another when the first turns on. They're commonly used to turn on shopvac's when a table saw/router etc is in use. They should be pretty cheap and the one I had worked flawlessly to do something similar.

That said I just leave my BFD on 24/7 as it draws so little current you'll spend more on the trigger then you'd save turning it off.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Did that thing at Sears, did it have a 2 pronged plug that could plug into my receiver? I'll check into that. My power strip does have the switching capability, but what is dumb is that the reciever plug is one of the outlets that is 'switched'. So I'd have to plug my receiver into the 'video filtered' side instead of the audio side of my power strip. I wonder if that would be bad? I'll run to my local mall tonight, there is a sears and a radio shack both there. If that sears thing will plug into a 3 pronged outlet, I'll get that, otherwise I'll plug my receiver into one of the 'video filtered' sides of my power strip so I can switch the stuff the way I want to. I understand that thing may draw little current, but then won't the lights be on all the time? That seems to only be asking the lights to go bad over time......ok, tried the thing from sears, my stereo must not pull enough current when it is idle, so I guess I'll just leave the thing on all the time, I don't want to move the receiver plug over to the video filter on my power strip.....

Blaine_M

Second Unit
The thing I got was called an automatic power switch. It looks to be intended for power tools, I'm guessing my amp when idle did not pull enough current to triger the switch. I think from reading the manual when I have the unit turned off it bypasses the unit, I get it Thursday so I'll try it then and see what happens. I'll probably just turn it on when I'm listnening to stuff, and my wife won't care. That or I'll just leave it on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.