Home theatre help please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gareth_U, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Gareth_U

Gareth_U Auditioning

Hello,
    I ws wondering whether somebody here could help me with my home theatre set up. I have a panasonic DVD and a Technics reciever --- but am unable to get 5.1 sound from it. All five speakers work fine but the reciever isn't getting the right signal from the DVD. when the disc is Dolby etc. the reciever still says that it is recieving no 'digital' input and I am forced to listen to my sound only using 'pro-logic'. I have had it working fine in the past but have changed house and don't seem to be able to get it to work. I am sure it is all 'hooked-up' well... please help...somebody...anybody.

DVD - Panasonic RV40 or RV20
    Reciever - Technics SA - DX940

If this helps.

Cheers

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    How are the DVD player and receiver connected? You need to use a digital connection (either optical or coax) from DVD to receiver. Set the DVD player to pass a digital signal, set the receiver to receive it and you'll get digital sound.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Carl said. Make sure your DVD player is connected to the receiver via digital (coax or optical). Then go into the DVD player's setup menu and enable Dolby Digital and DTS (assuming it can do DTS). You'll have to enable both separately in all likelihood. And finally, go into the disc's audio menu and select Dolby Digital (or DTS); not all discs default to DD.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'll bet you that you've connected to/from a wrong socket. I've done it too.

Glenn