What's new

Home Theater virgin (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I first read it on my phone(weird font).

Those paradigm are meant to be used vertical or horizontal.

I just am not sure how to adapt that to not being mounted to a wall.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Why not mount the speakers to the walls vs. using stands on them? -- having all 5 be identical models should work rather well....

At least have the front 3 mounted to the wall around the projection screen...

Once you level out the sound levels due to the un-even placament (speaker closer to the wall will be re-inforced, and will be turned down once calibrated...)There has to be some kind of wall behind the couch shown to mount the rears on...

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
The wall has a layer of ibsulation it is an unfinished basementWhich are better the paradigm or rs apparently both are available

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I'd go with the 5 identical paradigm speakers...add a sub and you would have quite a system...

and find a way to wall mount through/on the walls....is there exposed insulation on the wall -- or are we talking about the outside (brick/some hard substance) walls?

Found a review that uses stands with these:

-- http://www.soundandvision.com/content/paradigm-cinema-330-home-theater-speaker-system

SETUP For this short visit, I skipped wall-mounting and attached two of the Cinema 330s to Premier LS25 steel-and-glass speaker stands supplied by Paradigm ($139 a pair)

Went looking for the stands used in the review and found htem -- but showing up as $190 a pair...

http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/paradigm-ls25-395-speaker-stands-ls25-p-4169.html

According to that artical - new these run for $299 each....so X5 = $1,500 -- so you are saving $500 for getting them used...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
About the only two companies(with protected market) that ever reach 40% of original MSRP are Tannoy and Totem.

Once you get to the internet sold brands(KEF, Infinity, Polk) it is common for them to reach 30% of original MSRP.

Most speakers hit their "rock bottom" in 5 years. Bowers and Wilkins is the envy of the speaker world(not counting the BB stuff)...

The Diamonds hardly ever achieve 80% of original MSRP. I've sold beat up Diamonds in the thousands of dollars.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
So basically these are not good bargainsAfter getting feedback from tv friends I am cancelling the screen and getting a 60 or 70 inch tv. The amp is also decided and so is I think the sub. What do you guys think about the rs deal. He is offering it for 600 without the amp

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Here is the rs deal2 RS-525 Front speakers, 2 RS-125 Rear speakers, 1 Video-1 Center speaker and Two BU-1 Powered Subwoofers (50 Watts each) Also includesDenon AVR-1604 6.1 Channel @ 75 watts per channel and 2 speaker stands. All are in excellent conditon. Will sell with or without the Denonreciever.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
These were bought new in 2000 and are 14 years old. Is it still worth it?
Also on the internet to says to check for pssive radiator surround fatigue and need to get woofer refoamed. I have no idea what this means, I am going to see them tomorrow how do i check?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The woofer surround "rot" is a common occurrence...on every speaker ever made.

Most surrounds last 15 years. When they are foam(which of this speakers timeframe of manufacture...most are foam) you simply change them. Kits are cheap(I'll link one later...maybe not the right one...but I'll link one) for DIY. Somewhere up there you'll have an electronics shop and they might charge you $30 per woofer to do it. Takes about a day(in waiting time. glue has to dry)

Passive radiator "fatigue" is almost a non issue. It it usually caused by the same thing as surround rot on a woofer. Change the surround on the passive radiator...fatigue is solved.

I've changed a handful myself(not hard, just have to have a table they can sit on for 24hours to dry). I can't tell you how many pairs of speakers I've had done. Speakers famous for needing them are The Advent Large. Show me a pair of those that hasn't had the surround done twice.

Your example...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-RS125-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Repair-Woofer-Refoam-Kit-/300708370103?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item46039d96b7

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The dumbest surround I've ever done...ironically was on a set of Infinity SS2003.

Infinity saw fit to use gorilla glue on this piece of plastic laying right on top of the woofer plate/surround. Took a butter knife and 45 minutes just to remove that. Broke one in 4 places. Needless to say that piece of plastic never back on. Why was it even there?

I typically leave the grills off my speakers...not on that pair. Ugly without that piece of plastic. So, if these have the plastic(take a picture, close up) it might be worth it to have them done somewhere they have a heat gun and time to remove the plastic(I learned that the hard way on the SS2003. Forums I found said to use a heat gun to remove the plastic...and stupid me didn't think of that...and I have a heat gun).

I only paid $5 for the speakers at a re-sale shop...the kit cost $20. $25 and I got a kickin' pair of garage speakers.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
ok i will have a look at them. Meanwhile while u was researching i came across pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1

Will thes be underpowered for a medium/large sized basement:

Which will be be these or the Primus. Audioholics has rated these better than the primus?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not sure anybody on this forum has heard the Pio AJ.Like every other speaker...Do you like the way it sounds?My only nit on them is their lack of efficiency.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
I havent heard any of them...LOL
Lack of efficiency means i will have to crank it up further... guess means a more powerful amp...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
3db means twice as loud or half the power. Movies are mixed to provide 20db of volume change. Most movies are listened to at 85-105.So...a rated 86db speaker requires....75 watt to 75.A 90 rated requires.4 to 4095 rated requires.115 to 11No my math is not 100% accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks