What's new

Home Theater Sound Equipment Help! (1 Viewer)

jowens36

Auditioning
Real Name
John Owens
Hey guys. Happy Thanksgiving. I need help.

I am installing a home theater system in my living room and need some guidance. Currently this is the equipment that I have:

Pioneer Elite 60 inch Pro 150-FD
Bose Lifestyle 48 system with VS 2
Sony BlueRay Player
Xbox 360
Harmony 1000 Universal Remote

Here are my questions.

Thinking of returning the Bose Lifestyle System for the V30 Bose System as I do not need the digital music storage and I think that the V30 has more HDMI inputs. What I really like about the Bose systems are the small 4.5 inch jewel cube speakers. But at $4k for the Lifestyle 48 it seems pricey – can I get a better system with small speakers for this amount of $ - I hear Denon mentioned a lot but I do not know much about it. I can return the LifeStlye system with no problems.

I want to get something for the system that will allow me to stream my IPod and computer digital music through it. I found the Fireball products on line tonight – looks like a FP-1 will work well with an IPod – does anyone know anything about these?

I am thinking of returning the Harmony 1000 and getting a Phillips Pronto tsu-9600. I want a remote that can be customized and is touch screen. Also, it looks like the Pronto can control the Fireball Onscreen and that you can see the names of the music files on the remote as you select them. Also, will this remote control the Bose?

Any thoughts, comments or ideas as I am confused as to what I should do?

My room is 16 x 21 – living/family room. 2 story ceilings. Mainly use TV for watching TV & movies. Small amount of gaming on Xbox.

Thanks!

jowens36

Auditioning
Real Name
John Owens
Ok -- here goes after more research. Returning Bose and getting the following:

Denon AVR-3808CI

Definitive Technology - 3 Way tower speakers - BP7002BLA

Question - doesn't look like I need a sub with these --- is that correct?

Definitive Technology Center Speaker

The last thing I need is two rear surround speakers. I'm looking at something to mount in the wall - flush ---- any thoughts?

I also just ordered the Pronto TSU9600 remote - how hard is this to program?

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
You're definitely on the right track returning the Bose speakers. You can get far better sound for less money and there are a ton of options out there for you to choose from. We can help you out by giving suggestions for companies and brands to audition if you give us an idea of exactly what you are looking for and what type of sound you like.

Have you heard the Def Tech towers? Don't base your speaker decision on what you read or see advertised or even what other people tell you since good sounding speakers is such a subjective thing. If you can, go and listen to a wide range of speakers that are available in your area to hear the differences and see what kind of sound you like. Here's a good article about how to audition speakers: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tip...-speakers.html
If you give us a budget, different members here can also recommend what speakers you should go listen to, but the bottom line is that you should listen to the speakers in person before you buy (if at all possible).

Since you are going to be using the HT for watching movies, you should get a sub. I haven't listened to those particular towers, but most tower speakers cannot reproduce the really low bass as well as subs like SVS (www.svsound.com) and HSU (www.hsuresearch.com) can. Were you drawn to those towers in particular because they are bi-polar? That is one area where Def Tech is different than most other speaker companies, and that works well for some rooms and not so well with others, from what I've heard. I'll let others chime in on the pros and cons of Def Techs, and other similar options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks