What's new

Home Theater in a Cabinet (1 Viewer)

Brian.M

Grip
Howdy experts, I've seen in numerous AV magazines pictures of RPTVs, speakers and AV equipment all tucked neatly away in a recessed wall or gigantic cabinet. Is this wise, especially for speaker sound? I understand more space and an exhaust fan for the AV equipment, but the speakers are my main concern. I once saw a picture of the center and main speakers all placed in a line above the TV cabinet.

Brian.M

Grip
Howdy experts, I've seen in numerous AV magazines pictures of RPTVs, speakers and AV equipment all tucked neatly away in a recessed wall or gigantic cabinet. Is this wise, especially for speaker sound? I understand more space and an exhaust fan for the AV equipment, but the speakers are my main concern. I once saw a picture of the center and main speakers all placed in a line above the TV cabinet.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Depends on the speakers. Most here will agree that in order for a speaker to perform the best it needs to be moved away from any rear and/or side walls. First-order reflections can really degrade the sound of any speaker.

Your best source of information regarding placement of any speaker is directly from the manufacturer.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Depends on the speakers. Most here will agree that in order for a speaker to perform the best it needs to be moved away from any rear and/or side walls. First-order reflections can really degrade the sound of any speaker.

Your best source of information regarding placement of any speaker is directly from the manufacturer.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
One of the biggest complaints you see in reviews of in-wall speakers is their poor imaging. I expect that if you flush-mount regular speakers in the wall, you’ll suddenly find they have the same problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
One of the biggest complaints you see in reviews of in-wall speakers is their poor imaging. I expect that if you flush-mount regular speakers in the wall, you’ll suddenly find they have the same problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
It's true that imaging is somewhat degraded when mounting speakers very near, against, or in the front wall. But in-wall mounting doesn't have disastrous results. It depends on what your priority is. For my family room theater, I wanted a clean look and sound quality wasn't super-critical so I designed and built speakers into the wall with cloth-covered panels as you can see here (with the panel removed: .

For my dedicated theater / listening room, I wanted to maximize the capability of the high-end system... so the speakers ended up nearly two feet from the front wall as you can see here:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks