What's new

Home theater feedback (2 Viewers)

BobbyS

Grip
Well here i go, first time i post here.

I had the idea of buying a home theater for a couple months, and i've been reading the primer section and some posts for a couple weeks.

It's my first time buying a home theater, ive got to know a bit about HDTVs, but im clueless as for audio.

I already got some products wich i think would be the best buy for me, but now i need some feedback to know if there any good.

For the TV im looking to buy the samsung HLM617W DLP projection tv

samsung.com/Products/TV/ProjectionTV/TV_ProjectionTV_HLM617W.htm
(huh i cant post urls yet, if u wanna see jus add the w w w)

I choose DLP over RPTV because i think these rear projection are too much trouble for calibration. What ive read is that DLPs are easier and also have a greater lifetime.

Im in canada, and they have a combo, that samsung DLP + a DVD player with DVI output, cable included. I dont have the exact model of the dvd player, but it seemed like a good package.

For the receiver ive been looking for nothing too expensive, the TX-SR600 from Onkyo seemed nice for the price.

As for the speakers themselves, there im a bit clueless. I want a 5.1 system. I already have a boston acoustics center wich is like 5-6 years ago wich my father gave me. So what i need is 2 front, 2 rears and a Sub.

Im gonna use the system for watching dvds, satellite tv, and xbox. A little bit of music but thats not the main purpose.

Well thats it, id like you guys to give me feedback on what i choose, and if there not good suggest me some other products that i could find in canada.

Tim K

Second Unit
I can't comment on the rest of your equipment, but I'd be glad to talk speakers.

As for the speakers themselves, there im a bit clueless. I want a 5.1 system. I already have a boston acoustics center wich is like 5-6 years ago wich my father gave me. So what i need is 2 front, 2 rears and a Sub.
Find out what model your center speaker is...should be on the sticker on the back of it. I'm a Boston Acoustics owner myself and would be glad to offer advice. It is important that you try to "match" your speakers as you want every speaker to sound the same. This gives you a smooth soundstage (ie when a car drives across the screen it doesn't sound like a Mustang in your left, a honda in your center and a mustang in your right). Finding speakers in the same line should provide you a nice match.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Got a price range for your speaker and reciever budget???

You would want some fairly decent stuff for an Onkyo 600 / 601 for sure.

Even a decent sub.

But you will have what I like to call the real deal when your done....

Shane Morales

Second Unit
That Samsung DVD player with DVI is EXACTLY what you want with that TV. I have them both; they're perfect together.

Check out my HT in the link above to see pics.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bobby, for the moment I've moved your thread here. The Basics area is for asking questions about home-theater concepts on a general basis, not for asking about specific model recommendations. Your best bet is to ask for specific equipment recommendations as follows: audio electronics in Receivers/Amps, projectors/displays in Display Devices, DVD players and CD players in A/V Sources, etc.

BobbyS

Grip
alright

the boston center is a Boston525v 8 Ohms AT 004699

my father also decided to give me his sub he had for a couple years too, its a Mirage PS-12-90

any feedback on these 2 products? are they still decent or outdated? i dont know when they were bought, but there at least 7-8 years old

p.s.: sorry for posting in the wrong forum(s), i really don't know if i shud repost all as separate posts in the forums you named or if i can keep this thread.
I posted all in the same thread because i want to know if these parts have any sence going together. I have 0 experience about home theater exept from what i read on the internet, since i try not to trust sellers too much.

Tim K

Second Unit
I am not familiar with that center speaker but according to Boston Acoustics:
525V Center Channel 2-way (produces 1991-1994), 1-5.25" woofer, 1-5.25" passive radiator, 1-.75" tweeter.

Based on the fact that it is a 9-12 year old speaker, I don't know how much success you'll have in matching it with something new. If you want to try, maybe take a look at the Boston Acoustic CR-65 (Compact Reference Series). It may be your best bet to matching sound since it uses the same size woofer and tweeter. Hopefully BA is using similar components these days. Its a long shot, but its the best idea I can come up with short of starting over.

As for the sub, I have the Mirage PS-10 which I believe is the 10" version of the sub you have. My PS-10 is an OK starter sub, but it bottoms out too easily and doesn't go low enough. The PS-12 should be a much better sub. Also, since you are just starting out and its free...go for it.

BobbyS

Grip
alright thanks for the tip

so what would do u think of

-my boston center

-2 CR-65 speakers for the front

-2 CR-55 speakers for surround

-my mirage sub for now, will upgrade someday

-TX-SR600 Onkyo receiver

edit :
i found this page where u can compare speakers on the mirage website
miragespeakers.com/compareproducts.html
(add w w w. ,i still cant post urls)
my sub and yours is there, there current line of speakers too (LF 100, LF 150, OM 200)
i cant understand anything to these specs, perhaps you can help me out

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
On the Samsung I would go with the HLN not the HLM model.HLN is this model with the newest firmware.Hlm was last years model.

BobbyS

Grip
humm so the only difference is the firware?

i cant even find that HLN u mentionned on samsung's website

i only see HLM617W and also the 50 inch Version

BobbyS

Grip
dunno if im breaking any rules by bumping my own post, but i really didnt get the answers i needed

should i make new threads in the appropriate forums??, since i really asked about alot of stuff not only audio/video sources

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Try checking Samsung USA....HLN are the latest models and the HLM series had some problems. Your basic setup sounds pretty well on the way with the Onkyo and the Samsung DVD/DLP combination. I'd suggest, rather than trying to piece together older, mismatched speakers, just buying an entire new set. Axiom (forum sponser here) seems to have some packages at quite reasonable prices...and, I believe that they're in Canada (eh) as well so no import hassles.

Mort

BobbyS

Grip
alright thanks, could u hook me up with a link to axiom, ive been looking around the forum ads but i cant find it

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator
BobbyS-- I have a similar setup to what you are looking at. First, absolutely ONLY get the HLN series. The HLM is last year (2002's) model, and the HLN series, firmware 214 and up, include many features you may not want now, but will crave in the future. You may get a great price on an HLM, but "you get what you pay for."

I have an integra 7.2 receiver, which is similar to the Onkyo 797. (Integra is the "upper" class of Onkyo. Perhaps "upper" in name only:) )

From what I have read, the 600 or 601 is nice. Does it have pre-outs? If you have been lurking, you will note that the one constant here, regardless of brand loyalty, country, race, Religion or creed, is upgrading. The one thing I would always recommend is that you have pre-outs so that when you go to separates, you can use the receiver as a pre-amp.

As to speakers, I am partial to Paradigm (ALSO a Canadian company) so you can get pretty good prices. I use Studio-60's, so these are more than you are looking for. Perhaps the Atoms or the Titans? I started off with the Titan (ver. 2, I think) and liked them immensely

BobbyS

Grip
alright thanks bruce

do you have any idea where i could find the HLN in canada

all i can seem to find is the HLM, and being stuck with an inferior product kindda pisses me off eh

i still cant find it on the samsung website, only on the samsungUSA.

is it true samsung canada give shitty customer service

and how much more are we talking about, if its really alot more i might just look in a complete different TV

i also looked in the paradigm speakers, the titans look real nice. I am more and more leaning toward a whole new system and ditching the boston center, still kindda pisses me off since ill have that speaker laying around doing nothing, i might try selling it on ebay

last thing, what dvd player do you use with that tv
first i was looking at the combo samsung tv/samsung dvi dvd player but i think its only available with the HLM models

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks