Denon AVR 1603 Receiver
Panasonic DVDRP62 DVD Player
Take 5.2 (Energy) Speakers
S8-2 (Energy) Subwoofer

Option 2
Denon AVR 1403 Receiver
Panasonic DVDS35K DVD Player
Denon SC53HTB Speakers + Subwoofer

Option 1 costs $2000 (Canadian) whereas Option 2 costs $1300 (Canadian).

Are both good options?
I am leaning towards Option 1 however, is this system really worth $700 more than the second one?
Are there any other suggestions for a great sounding home theater with a $2000 (Canadian) limit?

I am either going to get the Panasonic PT40LC12 Widescreen TV or the Sony KV34HS510 34"widescreen (both are the same price).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Karim

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
As a fellow Canadian I understand the problems. We have great value on speakers and not so great on other things.

I had the 1603 and it was fine for the $. I WOULD look for a trade in or used if you can find it.

For the speakers the Energy system is a decent system BUT if you were willing to look at used here is an example of what you could put together (I am not seller of any items just examples)

Paradigm Titans , stands and CC170 450 + shipping http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/cgi-b...uery=retrieval

Atom rears new around $200

Paradigm PDR Sub New $350-$400

That is only $1100 for a much better speaker system than the Energy (I think) and you still have $900 left for receiver and DVD.

Or how about a complete Mordaunt-Short and B&W 5.1
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/cgi-b...uery=retrieval

$1200 once aging still lots left for DVD and receiver.

These are just a couple examples. I share this becuse as a fellow candian I always thought I had little used choice locally (In Nova scotia) until I started looking on the internet. If I was starting a budget system and wanted to get the BEST for my money I would start with used. Peakers especially (as long as not abused) have a long life cycle compared to electronics. hey can go years between real model changes.

If a speaker sounded good 3 years ago chances are it still sounds good. Often you can get identical sounding speakers to new for 1/2 the price.

Just saw this today. I am no fan of Future Shop BUT they are having a clearance on HL receivers. Since we don't get access to all the great US online or referb deals this would be the best you can do.

Atheana 5.1 system + HK 225 + Panny progressive scan DVD 1877 . This would easily blow away an energy Denon system.

Karim_J

Auditioning
Thanks Jamie!

I think that I am going to go with Option 2. They changed the DVD player to (I believe) an upgraded Denon model. It's less hassle (Bay Bloor delivers and sets it up and calibrates it) and I am absolutely useless when it comes to anything like that!
I did buy the Panasonic TV so I will test it out with that and if I like it, I'll keep the TV.
Thanks again for the help.
Karim

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I hope it all works out for you.

I just took a look at that Denon speaker package. How much is it? A 6 inch 55 Watt sub is well... my computer speakers have more bass than that. If it sounds good to you then who am I to judge but you are basically buying the same "sound" as a Home Theatre in a box. If you really want to buy from Bay Bloor (I have no experience with them) make 100% sure you listen to that Denon speaker system back to back with the energy one before you buy it. You very well might hear a huge difference.

Don't let"calibration" scare you off. Anyone one this forum would help you. A RS SPL meter is cheap or many places will "lend" you one if you buy from them. Heck I'd be willing to talk a fellow canadian through it on the phone (as long as you don't call me collect
:) ). Don't forget if they do come in and calibrate it it doesn't mean it will STAY calibrated. Move some furniture or put up new curtains and boom calibrations are off.

Please don't think I'm bagging on your choice. A first HT purchase is always fun and once you get the bug it is hard to stop. I just know from experience that "buying" convenience at the start usually results in buyers remores later. Setting up takes an hour. You will have to listen for maybe years.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Atheana 5.1 system + HK 225 + Panny progressive scan DVD 1877 . This would easily blow away an energy Denon system.
The Athena Point 5s and Energy Take 5.2s are cousins in a sense, both manufacturers being part of Audio Products International. They do however have a distinctly different sound, so get the ones you like most.

Bay Bloor isn't the only Energy dealer in Toronto though. I bought mine from Eastview (check the Energy site for address) at Christmas and got the tax thrown in. Those mated with one of the H/K 225s Future Shop has on clearance is a fantastic setup (I know, it's what I have :P). Future Shop also has a nice promo on that 34" Sony you were looking at, so if you buy them at the same time, a little negotiation might save you alot of $$$.

And finally, if your heart is set on a Denon, check our Kennedy HiFi...the guys up there are probably the nicest A/V salespeople I've met to date.

PM me if you have any specific concerns/questions.

Karim_J

Auditioning
Thanks for confusing me Guys!
I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically.
This will be a bit long.
First of all, there was no comparison between the Denon and the Energy speakers. The Energy speakers won out hands down. I don't think that I am all that qualified to comment, however, there was a definite distinction. I am definitely going with the Energy set.

I called Kennedy they are cheaper (price of single Denon receiver against the other place). Now, I am all confused again.
So I have decided that tomorrow I am going to do some shopping. I appreciate the input from all of you.

So my tally now is about $500 for the receiver, $1000 for the energy set of speakers, and as for DVD player, someone at one of the two Denon or Energy dealers (I think it was Kennedy) told me that there is a $200 Toshiba is equivalent to that $400 Denon 910.
Any comments on that? Is the Denon 910 really worth that or can I get something equivalent (preferably with multi disc capabilities) for less?
My final question is speaker cable, do I need "Monster cable"? Anything else that is high quality, easy to install and cheap (I've read somewhere about some Home Depot 12 gauge stuff, but I don't know if that is speaker wire or not or if it's good)?
I apologize for making this so long winded.
All your help is appreciated.
Karim

PS
Jamie thanks for the calibration offer, I may take you up on it as things are going to move around alot soon.
I was just about to buy and I thought that I would check the posts.

Drew, I looked on FutureShop.ca and the H/K you were talking about is sold out (and $700) and a bit more than I can get the Denon for ($500).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You don't need Monster anything as there's better and cheaper solutions available to you. Home Depot sells speaker cable cheap and its vitually identical to Monster and for interconnects Acoustic Research makes some nice affordable cables...as does Radio Shack. For speakers there's a lot to choose from but those energy's are a good bet if the small size is something that you find attractive. Other options locally might include a set of three pairs of smaller bookshelf speakers like the Paradigm Atoms ($189 cdn) a pair and add a subwoofer on that. Polk, Athena, PSB and a few others also sell similar priced bookshelf sized speakers that would fit your budget.

For DVD players the Denon is a nice unit and would be what I'd pick but the panasonics are nice as well...and I'd limit your pick to those two brands since they do very well on the bench tests.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
someone at one of the two Denon or Energy dealers (I think it was Kennedy) told me that there is a $200 Toshiba is equivalent to that $400 Denon 910.
Someone is feeding you wrong info. They are in no way equivalent. The Denon uses the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing chip and the Toshiba does not.

Karim_J

Auditioning
Thanks everyone.

I ended up buying the Option 1 package, though instead of the 1603 receiver I received the 1604. Also, I was able to get the stands for half price.
I had priced everything out at various other locations and I could not beat the price. I found a 1603 for $500, speakers for $1000 with no room for speaker stands. Then I read BobJ's post and just went with Bay Bloor. I am happy (so far, as I haven't set it up yet). I like the sound (at the store).
I still may have some calibration questions etc.
I also needed to buy new as my father has not bought anything like this new in about 30 years.
Thanks again!
Karim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks