What's new

Home Improvement coming to DVD in Best of set (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Since there's no way I'd be able to justify purchasing this anyway (despite how much I'd want it), I guess there's little point in saying I'd prefer season sets be released. However, I must concur I would buy a 20$ dvd (I can afford that) with all of the Man's 'room' episodes on it, just so I wouldn't have to wait season by season for the next two or three. But I wouldn't buy just any old best of at all.

Adam

Joel C

Screenwriter
I watched HI when it was on, but hated the later seasons and didn't think it was good enough to watch in re-runs, so maybe that is coloring my perceptions, but I don't remember it having much continuing plot AT ALL, much much less so than Friends at least.

And I never said it didn't get good ratings. But so did MTM, and that sold very poorly. I just don't think this is the kind of show that the GENERAL PUBLIC (not the obsessed DVD internet fans) will want to buy in expensive season sets. ESPECIALLY when it is on in re-runs.

Friends is still on-going, which helps, plus it appeals to young people with disposable income, plus it has been the #1 sitcom for a few years, while HI slacked off a bit in later seasons.

And Simpsons is a show MADE for nerds with DVD players. Everyone from 10-30 (generalizing) loves the show and has for years.

So I still think that season sets would not sell enough to really justify putting them out. Feel free to disagree.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And I never said it didn't get good ratings. But so did MTM, and that sold very poorly.
Yeah, but MTM got those good ratings in the seventies. Home Improvement is much more recent in culture's collective memory. Many in the primary buying demographic (ie. 18-34) watched Home Improvement during the nineties. Only about a quarter of the people in that range were even alive when MTM was on the air.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
SEASON SETS, PLEASE! 96% of TVShowOnDVD respondants request season sets of this show!
I went to the page for Home Improvement on Tvshowsondvd & I looked at the voting (I also voted on Tvshowsondvd to get HI on DVD in season-by-season format).

With 96% of people on Tvshowsondvd voting for HI on DVD in season format, it really puzzles me why Disney would want to release only a best of DVD.

The voting for Home Improvement on Tvshowsondvd stands like this right now:

96% for Season format
28% for Best Of
24% for Individual episodes

Disney needs to wake up. People want HI on DVD in season format. Disney would make good money if they listen to the votes on Tvshowsondvd which shows that 96% of voters want HI in season format.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
With 96% of people on Tvshowsondvd voting for HI on DVD in season format...People want HI on DVD in season format.
Well, to be accurate, people who went to tvshosondvd and voted want HI on DVD in season format.

Big difference.

Jon

ToddL

Grip
Real Name
Todd
Has anyone that has e-mailed Disney about season box sets received a response yet? I e-mailed them from two different e-mail addresses and still haven't gotten a response for either one.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone that has e-mailed Disney about season box sets received a response yet? I e-mailed them from two different e-mail addresses and still haven't gotten a response for either one.
They don't respond, except with the usual form letter in 2 parts

"Shove" and "it"

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
"Has anyone that has e-mailed Disney about season box sets received a response yet? I e-mailed them from two different e-mail addresses and still haven't gotten a response for either one. "

I emailed Sunday Night but I believe that I didn't get a response.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
The last time I e-mailed Disney (about Muppet Christmas Carol) it took about two weeks to get a reply. Not too bad but Warners responded to an e-mail of mine the same day, although all it said was 'that item is not available, check back at the studio store later'. Universal's the worst. The times I've e-mailed them it took one to two months if I even got a reply.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
You should get a reply eventually, but only as a form letter saying "HOME IMPROVEMENT is not available on DVD, but your comments have been forward to the Marketing Department."

But, they ARE getting the message even if their replies seem unspirited. Whether they listen is another matter, but if Mad About You is a successful seller for Sony in season sets, I see no reason why Home Improvement season sets wouldn't be successful for Disney.

They might not sell like The Simpsons, but they WOULD sell better than a great deal of TV content put out on DVD, and a show like "Home Improvement" certainly warrants it, in my opinion. It really is *the* family sitcom of the 90s, and it deserves to be put on DVD in its entirety.

ToddL

Grip
Real Name
Todd
Thanks for the input. I was just trying to figure out if these types of e-mails are actually read by someone that has something to do with how these DVDs are released. Maybe they will do some good.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I just got a response today to the email that I sent to Disney. Let's just hope that Disney's Marketing Department finally learns that people want Home Improvement on DVD in season-by-season format.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I also just got a response to the email I sent them. Basically just says:
We will forward your request for a DVD release to our Marketing Department for their future consideration.
Doubt we will get a formal response from them but here's to hoping they listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks