What's new

Home Improvement coming to DVD in Best of set (1 Viewer)

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I just got an email from Tvshowsondvd because I want Home Improvement on DVD.

I went to read the news report at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com & from what it says, it looks like we will be getting Home Improvement on DVD in a best of set.

The news report is listed at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=286

Jeez, these companies need to get it in their heads that people want TV shows on DVD in season-by-season format.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Well, these "J6P-oriented"/"low-intelligence-level" shows (this, Married with Children) are seen by studios as being more suited for best-of sets. Makes no sense...

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I don't think "Home Improvement" is a "J6P-oriented"/"low-intelligence-level" show at all. "Unhappily Ever After" it is not.

Anyhow, hopefully it's just a way for Disney to test the waters before releasing season sets. Hopefully.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Best Of I won't buy. Seasons I will. I will not get a Best Of set just to show Disney that I have interest.

I sure hope they skip this and go straight to season sets.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I guess I'm in the minority because I'd rather have a Best Of set. Getting all the seasons with so many shows out isn't realistic for me viewing time-wise or financially. I personally don't need to have 100+ episodes of something like Home Improvement. 10 shows or so would be nice. Just my 2 cents.

Shawn RM

Auditioning
I also will not buy any "best of" set. If they want my money then they will need to do things properly in my eyes. They know that J6P will buy it, so they will prolly do it just to test the waters. Then they will pull a Friends and release the full seasons (hopefully). Otherwise I guess I will never get the enjoyment of watching it at will.

BTW, this is my first post. It's good to join ya'll. Hopefully you can count on me to bring some insights into some issues.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I also will not buy any "best of" set. If they want my money then they will need to do things properly in my eyes. They know that J6P will buy it, so they will prolly do it just to test the waters. Then they will pull a Friends and release the full seasons (hopefully). Otherwise I guess I will never get the enjoyment of watching it at will.
I also agree. I will not buy best of sets. IMO, season-by-season is the only way in which I will purchase TV shows on DVD.

About Friends,

As much as I like The Friends TV show, I never purchased the best of sets. I did however purchase Friends: Season 1.

Disney,

Season-by-season sets of Home Improvement is the only way that I will purchase Home Improvement.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Let me add something. The Home Improvment site located at http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/HomeImprovement/ (this site is also mentioned in the news report at TVshownsondvd).

The site has a good idea & here is the idea (excerpt from http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/HomeImprovement/) : I recommend e-mailing Disney's marketing department ([email protected]) and letting them know you would prefer complete Season Sets. Seems odd that BVHE would even consider releasing anything other than season sets, with TV seasons selling as well on DVD as they are now (The Simpsons, X-Files, Mad About You Disney's own Sports Night, etc.)

I just emailed Disney & I told them that I prefer having Home Improvement on DVD in season sets.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I also agree. I will not buy best of sets. IMO, season-by-season is the only way in which I will purchase TV shows on DVD.
I'm this way for most things, but stuff like Saturday Night Live and Mysteery Science Theater 3000 is okay with singles and best ofs. For Home Improvement, I'll buy it when I get a season.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I can't believe that Disney is doing this. Best of sets are not the way to release a great show plain and simple. I will NOT buy a single best of set like a lot of you. Buying best of sets does not let Disney know that we want season sets. It will make them think we want even more best of sets. Writing them is an excellent suggestion and the best way to let them know that we WANT.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Well... much as I like season sets...

Friends has a continuing plot. Home Improvement has no continuing plot. Even Full House had more of a continuing plot.

I totally understand why they are going the "best of" route. Seasons sets of this show would sell VERY poorly, IMHO.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Seasons sets of this show would sell VERY poorly, IMHO.
Why would you say that? It was one of the more popular TV shows of the 90s... I think it will sell gangbusters if it is released. I sure as hell would buy every season if it were released (I watch it enough reruns to justify it).

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Here is some contact info for The Walt Disney Company from Switchboard.com :

Contact Address:
Walt Disney Company the

500 S Buena Vista St
Burbank, CA 91521-0001

Disney's Telephone number (there are 2 phone numbers) is listed at
http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgidi...x=0&Search.y=0 just look for the listing that says Walt Disney Company the & also the listing that says Disney Walt Co the .

Email address:
[email protected]

Contacting Disney is the best choice for getting Home Improvement on DVD in season sets. Every studio has a marketing department & the marketing department determines what customers want to buy. And in this case, Disney's marketing department believes that people want Home Improvement on DVD in best of format. We need to contact Disney & tell them that we want HI on DVd in season format.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I would also prefer season sets.

That said (and I liked Home Improvement by the way, being a Tim Allen fan and all), if there was a DVD consisting of the episodes involving Man's Kitchen, Man's Bathroom, etc, I'd certainly get it. I think those episodes are classic.

Jason

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

(keeps his clothes on, and goes and sulks in a corner...doesn't feel like dancing right now)

[rant]SEASON SETS, PLEASE![/rant] 96% of TVShowOnDVD respondants request season sets of this show!

I will be contacting Disney today to express my preference!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
if there was a DVD consisting of the episodes involving Man's Kitchen, Man's Bathroom, etc, I'd certainly get it. I think those episodes are classic.
Those were classic episodes. I really wonder if those are what sparked the idea for the Man Show. Of course we can't forget about the Man's Bedroom, with the cue sticks shooting out of the floor. :D

I still don't know if I would get those though. Unless I positively knew that season sets would never come.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well... much as I like season sets...

Friends has a continuing plot. Home Improvement has no continuing plot. Even Full House had more of a continuing plot.

I totally understand why they are going the "best of" route. Seasons sets of this show would sell VERY poorly, IMHO.
Home Improvement has every much a continuing plot as "Friends", which has received season sets. And more of a continuing plot than "The Simpsons", which is receiving season sets. So, I'm not sure what your point is.

As for season sets selling poorly, have you forgotten how strong Home Improvement's ratings were?

Maybe these should refresh your memory:
http://www.chez.com/fbibler/tvstats/...1990-1995.html

HI was consistently among the top 5-rated shows. It was the reason Seinfeld moved to Thursday night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks