What's new

Holy Grail content (1 Viewer)

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Please don't flame me for asking, or turn this into a censorship discussion :). I haven't seen this movie in at least 10 years, and don't remember it very well. Could someone who has seen it recently be kind enough to give me a feeling for whether or not this movie is generally appropriate for children in terms of profanity, sex, violence, etc. I've got a 10-year old and was thinking of watching this with the whole family. I usually would watch it myself first to judge the content, but if someone has seen it recently they might be able to save me some time.
Thanks,
Brennan
p.s. That's Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
It may be a bit much for a 10-year-old. The profanity is fairly mild. The violence is so over-the-top that it's cartoonish, so that may not be that big of a deal to you. Remember the scene where the black knight is dismembered by King Arthur? ("Tis but a scratch!" "No it's not, your arm's off!")
But then there's the whole Castle Anthrax sequence, with the chaste knight taking refuge with the naked women who are bathing each other. ("...and then the oral sex.")
Come to think of it, when I was 10 I would have loved seeing this movie!
[Edited last by Ken Seeber on November 12, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie, and hope my son will enjoy it someday, but I won't let him see it when he's only 10.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I was 10 when this movie was first released in 1975. My older brother took me too see it back then.
Just look at me now...

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
But then there's the whole Castle Anthrax sequence, with the chaste knight taking refuge with the naked women who are bathing each other. ("...and then the oral sex.")
Thanks for clearing that up! I also would have liked seeing that waaaaayyy too much when I was 10
tongue.gif
. And then of course telling all the kids in school. That would have been a pleasant phone call from his teacher.
eek.gif

Thanks again,
-B

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another scene you may not want your 10 year old to see:
Who's that, then?
I dunno. Must be a king.
Why?
He hasn't got shit all over him.

I love this film, but it's a little too "mature" for a 10 year old. (IMO, of course)
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on November 13, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Even though it has a PG rating, if it were rated today, it would most likely be an R. The rating system has become alot more strict than it was in the past. Lots of gory scenes of people getting hacked to pieces, though I sure found them damn funny! :)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't think it would get an R rating today. The violence and gore, as mentioned above, is very over-the-top. But I think the Castle Anthrax scenes would merit a PG-13 for sure. Without that a PG.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
So it's better for kids to be exposed to people getting their throats slit, hacked and dismembered than a mild bit of sexual innuendo (with no nudity)?
confused.gif

[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 13, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

TimDoss

Second Unit
To me, the violence is so unrealistically done that I don't
have a problem with my son watching it with me... I do
forward through the castle anthrax scene, but the rest of
it I think is fine. He is 8 years old and loves to quote
the bridge of death scene with me, and laughs hysterically
at the killer rabbit. Only you, though, as a parent, can
determine if there is anything that you are uncomfortable
with your children seeing, and/or you are uncomfortable
explaining. Remember, though, when you were young how much
of your parental shield was gone when you were at school
or at a friends house... there is nothing in the Holy Grail
that they won't be subjected to somewhere else, and it may
give you a good opportunity to let you explain some of the
rights and wrongs or inappropiateness of it. That being
said, I would definitely preview anything first before
letting them watch it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Personally, your opinions may vary, but I would consider this at least PG-13 material. If I had a 10 year old I might wait a few years before showing it to them. Of course the accents are such that if the child doesn't know what they're talking about (and at 10 I don't think I knew what oral sex meant) they might just miss the joke anyway.
Regardless, I don't think any permanent damage would be done (like showing an 8 year old kid Faces of Death or something like that) by the Pythons.

TimDoss

Second Unit
Richard: While I do agree that that is the mentality
with many people, I disagree here... 10 years old is
too young to be subjected to "oral sex". Modestly and
thoughtfully done sex related scenes, as far as the
parent is comfortable in explaining is one thing, but
to get vulgar, explicit or just beyond their need of
understanding is another. Similarly, the violence in
Holy Grail is so cartoonish as to be funny, whereas the
scenes in say Starship Troopers of the aftermath of the
bug invasions is probably just more than a child needs
to see.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I saw this movie as a very young child (probably 8?) and it was always one of my favorite movies growing up.
I turned out fine...
Seriously, the more sexual jokes went right over my head until I was older. Kind of like Bugs Buny cartoons :)
That oral sex line went right over my head and I thought nothing more of it until I was old enough to know what oral sex meant.
[Edited last by Jodee on November 13, 2001 at 11:07 AM]

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Richard Kim wrote:
quote: So it's better for kids to be exposed to people getting their throats slit, hacked and dismembered than a mild bit of sexual innuendo (with no nudity)?
confused.gif
[/quote]
Uhh, no I didn't say that. I just said what ratings I think the movie would get from the MPAA today based on its content. I never said I agreed with it or would rate it the same.
That said, I do think the violence in Holy Grail is not on the same realistic par with other films. I think even kids of 10 can probably discern the comedic nature of it in context.
[Edited last by Glenn Heberle on November 13, 2001 at 02:31 PM]

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Remember that the PG-13 rating didn't exist before Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.
(One movie that would never get an R-rating today is John Landis's Kentucky Fried Movie.)

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as another who thinks that this material is NOT appropriate for a 10-year-old. In fact, I'd argue that it's not appropriate for most adolescents. Most adolescents are still developing their sense of morality and don't have a firm basis with which to view the movie. I guess it depends on your views of what is moral and immoral and how you want to raise your kids.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Remember that the PG-13 rating didn't exist before Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.
Actually, it was rated PG, but is regarded as the main film that inspired the creation of PG-13 for subsequent ratings.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
We all have different ideas of what's bad for our kids, which is what makes it so wonderful when things are released uncensored and WE get to decide.
For me, I don't have a problem with references to oral sex. If my son is old enough to know what it is, he's old enough to hear about it. I do have a problem with the vulgarity (such as shit), but it's mostly with the gore. Blood spurting out of arms and legs is not something I want him seeing til he's older.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks