HK AVR-7000 versus 8000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Shankman, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Lee Shankman

Lee Shankman Extra

Hello,

I posted yesterday asking for opinions on the HK AVR-7000. Thanks so much to those who replied. I'd like to ask an additional question, and would appreciate any responses.

Instead of purchasing the 7000 for about $500 as stated in my prior post, I now have the opportunity to purchase the HK 8000 for about $875, probably refurbished. I think the 7000 I was considering buying is also refurb. Is this a worthwhile upgrade for the additional money? Does anyone know if the 8000 has experienced fewer quality issues than its predecessor?

Finally, Can anyone recommend a high quality receiver in a similar price range as these HK units?

Thanks,

Lee

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

You're getting that refurb below cost which almost never happens even w/ refurbs or open boxes or whatever. Be wary. The HK 8000 appears to be an excellent unit. I really liek the 520 and the 8000 should be a big step up.

3. chung

chung Stunt Coordinator

Lee:
    $875 is a great price, even for refurbished. Make sure it has the HK warranty, though. HK offers standard 2-year warranties for even its refurbished products. There is realy nothing else that compares with it in this price range. In fact. let me know if there are more; I would love to get one (or perhaps we could swap[​IMG]) !
    Others in this range, but not as good: Denon 3802, Sony STR-DA5ES. Not familiar with Yamaha or Onkyo.

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

HIGHLY recommend that you do it. I have the 7k, and I am a slut for it! [​IMG]

5. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I'd be all over an 8000 for $875 also [​IMG] where are you getting these??

6. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Any chance you can spill the beans on the $875 location of the HK8000.

7. John Bennett

John Bennett Auditioning

Actually, this may not even be a refurb... Harman's Accommodation website (with discount prices for Harman employees and their families), had the AVR 8000 on sale (pre-order) before Christmas for under 700 bucks. That's almost certainly below cost, though, since even their "normal" Accommodation discount price is $1200.

Either way, unless the thing has the paint ground off and smoke coming out the top, it's a steal at $875...

--John