What's new

Hk Avr-520 Owners Please Help With Set Up (1 Viewer)

Dave Goff

Agent
I just got all my gear (speakers and receiver wednesday).
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR-520 and 1996 model Sony KV32s35.
The television has both S-video and two sets of RCA inputs, it has variable audio out and cable hook ups.

Set up all speakers to receiver.

Ran S-video out from receiver "monitor out" to tv "s-video in".

Hooked DVD (Sony 5 disc) "s-video out" to receiver "DVD s-vvideo in", and DVD "optical out" to reciever "digital optical line 1 in"

Hooked VCR (JVC S2901) "S-video out" to reciever "s-video 3 in", hooked composite L&R audio out on VCR to L&R line 3 in on receiver. I ran the tv cable into the back of the VCR. Earlier I programmed the VCR to tune the channels with a direct cable feed from the cable out on vcr to cable in on tv, it worked fine on a variety of channels.

Next I get out the trusty HK users manual and go to set up system configuration. They say turn on receiver and punch OSD (on screen display from remote). All I get is a tv screen full of static and no on screen display. The plastic film on the receiver face has been removed and the batteries are in the remote. The remote light button will come on but it will not power up or down the AVR using the remote on or off buttons.

I turned the thing off and tried using a composite cable from receiver monitor out and running to tv video in, allso switching all other video feeds and inputs to composite.

What have I done wrong? I need help!!!!!

Dave Jewett

Agent
Dave:

Do you see any lights on the receiver at all? If it's plugged in, you should see an orange LED on the lower left side indicating it's in standby mode. If that's not lit, make sure you hit the power button right above it.

As for your TV, have you selected the correct input? Sounds like you have the HK wired correctly, so that may be the problem...

Hope that helps...

Dave J

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I am still learning about mine, but believe as long as you have the receiver powered up (lights on) and TV selected to s-video input (like Dave J suggested), you should at least see a blue screen, vs static. I use the lowly composite outputs, old panasonic TV doesn't have s-video :frowning: , but shouldn't make a difference. If you don't have a blue screen, verify the s-video cable is good or try a composite output.
Pressing the remote receiver button, then power-on or off should turn on/off the receiver. Also, make sure you press the receiver remote button before pressing the OSD button.
JohnS

Brett_H

Second Unit
Dave,

I agree with what others have said: there are really two things to check.
1. Make sure your TV is set to the input where you connected the S-Video cable. Mine was AUX2 or something similar.
2. Make sure you select "AVR" on the HK remote before pressing OSD. You'll know you've got the right thing chosen when the AVR button lights up when pressing the OSD button.

During the process of setting mine up recently, I continually forgot to put the remote into AVR mode before pressing OSD. Would be nice if HK made that button "punch through" to the AVR even if it's not the current device, but it doesn't matter now because my universal remote is now programmed and has replaced the HK remote for all but EZSet functions.

-Brett.

Dave Goff

Agent
Thnanks for the replies.

Am at work now so cant try any of this stuff. I did have the power button on.

As far as having the s-video selected on my tv, do I have to go into tv set up menus for that to be selected. I didn't have to when i had just the dvd into it.

I will try the remote reciever button and avr before hitting OSD. It is interesting that they don't say to do that in the manual. The manual is about the most confusing thing I have ever read. Not really gifted when it comes to electronics. Actually a structural engineer by profession, but beams, columns & trusses are something you can physically see.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
dave: don't despair, these receivers are a little complex to initially set up. give it a few hours of experimenting. wait til you try to set macros, :D

sean_k

Auditioning
usually u have more then on s-video in put onthe tv? not sure if this is the case for u, but if u have more then one u need to go to the correct s-video channel to view the osd.
It will take a fair amount of time to get use to everything, dont worry :)

Dave Goff

Agent
the tip about selecting the video input on the tv gave me a blue screen.
the tip about hitting avr/on and avr/osd got me to OSD.

right now i am trying to set up input. there doesn't appear to be a S-video selection. should this be set to analog?

the owners manual is pretty poor unless you hook up HK equipment for a living and use it to help light fires.

Dave Goff

Agent
I would like to thank all you that replied. The tips were helpful. I have got all components set up through delays. Now will tackle sound levels. Probably will be back for macros. They look like a good thing to set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks