What's new

HITCHOCK’S “VERTIGO” RESTORED 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION SCREENINGS (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, Universal didn't even have a new doc for "Jaws" 4K disc. Unfortunately, it seems like only the boutique labels are producing new bonus material.
And the new one that was on the Blu-ray was fan made.

I'd be curious what the last time a studio made a legitimate documentary for a catalog title. I bet it's been way more than a decade.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount did a bonus disc for their 2016 box set of all original crew Star Trek movies and shows. The movies and shows were all repacks of existing discs and then the bonus disc added up to around two hours of new material. But the set didn’t sell particularly well - fans already had the discs in the set except the bonus - and that certainly isn’t going to encourage more effort into making bonus features.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Will be interesting to see in 2022 for the annual Sight & Sound best film poll if Vertigo will be number one again on the Critics list.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Well, Universal didn't even have a new doc for "Jaws" 4K disc. Unfortunately, it seems like only the boutique labels are producing new bonus material.

Fair point, Robert. However, Jaws already has a 103 minute documentary (The Shark is Still Working). Vertigo has nothing close to that. It's a travesty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fair point, Robert. However, Jaws already has a 103 minute documentary (The Shark is Still Working). Vertigo has nothing close to that. It's a travesty.
I'm not arguing that "Vertigo" doesn't deserve a documentary. I'm just saying the major studios have basically stopped doing such work except for some boutique labels. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality right now.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

I'm not arguing that "Vertigo" doesn't deserve a documentary. I'm just saying the major studios have basically stopped doing such work except for some boutique labels. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality right now.

Obsessed with Vertigo was a good thorough documentary from the original Collector's Edition DVD.

What more would you like to know about this film Alex?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Obsessed with Vertigo was a good thorough documentary from the original Collector's Edition DVD.

I'm pretty sure that it's also on the 2012 Alfred Hitchcock "The Masterpiece Collection" Blu-ray. At least it's listed on my UK box art.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Been a while since I watched that doc. It’s got a great, appropriate title.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Paramount did a bonus disc for their 2016 box set of all original crew Star Trek movies and shows. The movies and shows were all repacks of existing discs and then the bonus disc added up to around two hours of new material. But the set didn’t sell particularly well - fans already had the discs in the set except the bonus - and that certainly isn’t going to encourage more effort into making bonus features.

the dipping got really old..

if paramount had released that new extra content disc separately and / or with new transfers of the older films I would’ve bought it.

Inglorious treksperts did a great podcast about the history of Star Trek on home video. It was very interesting.

I will probably look at getting the Hitchcock 4k set for the extras. I just have many of the films digitally now.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Obsessed with Vertigo is a decent documentary but it's only about 30 minutes long.

I'd like to see one like "The Making of Psycho" (94 minutes) or The Shark is still working from Jaws. Even the Jaws 2 documentary is longer than the Vertigo one by 15 minutes.

I'd like to hear more analysis about the film.

I'm not trying to be negative and I will support this release by buying it.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Obsessed with Vertigo is a decent documentary but it's only about 30 minutes long.

I'd like to see one like "The Making of Psycho" (94 minutes) or The Shark is still working from Jaws. Even the Jaws 2 documentary is longer than the Vertigo one by 15 minutes.

I'd like to hear more analysis about the film.

I'm not trying to be negative and I will support this release by buying it.

I think the previous documentaries is about is good as it's going to get for the Hitchcock films. Not many actors or crew are still around to be interviewed about them. Kim Novak is the only person from Vertigo still alive, but she doesn't do too much public appearances and interviews since she left Hollywood in the mid 60's.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I think the previous documentaries is about is good as it's going to get for the Hitchcock films. Not many actors or crew are still around to be interviewed about them. Kim Novak is the only person from Vertigo still alive, but she doesn't do too much public appearances and interviews since she left Hollywood in the mid 60's.

I think you're correct, unfortunately.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
108028389_1605062343001803_1959338024871611430_n.jpg

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Kim Novak is the only person from Vertigo still alive, but she doesn't do too much public appearances and interviews since she left Hollywood in the mid 60's.

She's appeared at the TCM Classic Film Festival multiple times over the years and was on board at least one of the TCM Classic Cruises as well, where she was highly visible.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
She's appeared at the TCM Classic Film Festival multiple times over the years and was on board at least one of the TCM Classic Cruises as well, where she was highly visible.

Outside those events, Kim stays private away from Hollywood.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
the dipping got really old..

I will probably look at getting the Hitchcock 4k set for the extras. I just have many of the films digitally now.

All you guys out there here is a question that I would like answered ......I hope you can do it as I have looked and nobody seems to have mentioned it ..or am I wrong.....
Anyway here goes ...
The new Hitchcock 4KUHD set soon to be released how many [ if any ] of the standard Bluray discs in the set have been upgraded to 4K .......like the recent I think you know what I mean releases of ' To Catch a Thief '' and ' Fatal Attraction' ??........or are they same as existing releases ?

I look forward to your reply if you have any idea.......

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
It would be wonderful to hear Kim on a commentary track, while she watches the movie and memories get triggered. Chatting with someone she feels comfortable with. It needn't be filmed, just her voice and her memories of the shoot and the era, would be extra great!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All you guys out there here is a question that I would like answered ......I hope you can do it as I have looked and nobody seems to have mentioned it ..or am I wrong.....
Anyway here goes ...
The new Hitchcock 4KUHD set soon to be released how many [ if any ] of the standard Bluray discs in the set have been upgraded to 4K .......like the recent I think you know what I mean releases of ' To Catch a Thief '' and ' Fatal Attraction' ??........or are they same as existing releases ?

I look forward to your reply if you have any idea.......

I think yes on Psycho because thats being released as a stand-alone BD, but I don’t think there’s any official info one way or the other on the rest of the titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks