What's new

HITCHOCK’S “VERTIGO” RESTORED 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION SCREENINGS (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any rumor or movement in future 4k releases of vertigo or others?

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I'm confused as well. Are you talking about the 4k disc coming in September in France?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
At least "Verigo" would be a movie theaters have available to screen. July is the earliest new product may be available to show in theaters if the majority of theaters are open in July. Then they will find out how many people are willing to go the theaters. Everything is tentative now.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m missing the summer movies. I take my boys to the discount kids movies too. For $1. Good Activity for hot days.

I’ll keep an eye out for Hitchcock events too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There's nothing new here. The clip is promoting the 4K DCP, which has been available for a while, and the link is referring to the 4K discs supposedly coming out in France.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
What is new is the upcoming 4K uhd release.
There's already a thread about that:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
According to the press release that came out this morning, there are no new special features for this release. NONE. Vertigo in particular is in desperate need of something NEW like a documentary.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
According to the press release that came out this morning, there are no new special features for this release. NONE. Vertigo in particular is in desperate need of something NEW like a documentary.

While I'd like a new documentary they can add it to a later single movie release. Just let me have Vertigo (and hopefully in due time the other VistaVision Hitchcock movies) in 4k.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
While I'd like a new documentary they can add it to a later single movie release. Just let me have Vertigo (and hopefully in due time the other VistaVision Hitchcock movies) in 4k.

It's not going to happen on a single disc release either. The documentary they are including is from 1996 (and it's pretty weak).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You really expected a documentary in 2020? Twenty years ago, sure but studios don't really make new special features anymore especially for catalog titles.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
You really expected a documentary in 2020? Twenty years ago, sure but studios don't really make new special features anymore especially for catalog titles.

Yeah I did. For a film of this caliber. It's not Jaws 2. It's Vertigo for crying out loud.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It will be interesting to see what the UHD release of a VV title will be like. If it is well received we could hope to see North by Northwest, Gunfight at the OK Corral, and White Christmas from the other studios.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Yeah, that’s the sad reality.

Studio research has shown time and again that bonus features don’t drive sales by any significant measure for the vast majority of releases. With the number of units sold on a years-long decline, the cost of making new bonus material can take a simple profitable pressing of an existing HD or 4K master and turn it into a money losing endeavor. Then add the current pandemic which makes the creation of such features even more difficult and there’s just very little chance.

At this point, I feel lucky we had all of those years where the mass public buying discs subsidized the hobbyists and we got all of those bonus features. I knew back around 2005 when Warner started experimenting with tiered releases where there would be separate SKUs for barebones and special edition releases that it was the beginning of the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks