What's new

Highlander 2 Special Edition: anyone buying? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"He did have one other career high, with the exceptionally well made B movie RICOCHET."

No, that's a piece of @#$%, too. Especialy when Mulcahy tries to pay homage to himself during the final battle on top of that sculpture in LA.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Biggest dissapointment in a sequel ever!! Well, that's until Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions came out...

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

While he did indeed manage to turn out more awful crap, his work on Tales from the Crypt and the Seven-wannabe "Resurrection" were quite good imo.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I liked RESURRECTION, but the very low budget kept getting in the way. It ruined the finale with that super fake baby effect.

They shot H2 in Argentina because they could save nearly 10 million dollars that way. So 30 million was going to really equal 40 million (huge money at that time, all of which was going into the film). But then disaster struck and they actually ended up 10 million short.

All sorts of articles were written about this in various sci-fi mags back in the early 90's.

Oh, and to the gent who said RICOCHET was a "piece of @#$%." Opinions are subjective. But even Denzel has stated how fans come up to him and tell him how much they love that movie. He likes it too. It's killer B stuff. Very groovy.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the theatrical & 'Renegade' versions, and agree that both are awful. It proved that sometimes it's better to leave mysteries unsolved. I now call it 'Planet Zeist Syndrome' when an author/filmmaker makes the mistake of trying to explain things that shouldn't. (Like Star Wars & the Force, where it began as a spiritual/mystical/quasi-religious thing that in each movie became more & more a matter of genetics.)

That said, one of my fondest convention-going memories is seeing a fan-made MST3K-ing of Highlander 2. During the skateboarder swordfight, when it takes several minutes of swooping & ducking & running before the first sword-clash, the fan-Mike/Joel turns to his robots and says "This is gonna be a loooong fight." (The same guy did an MST3K of Star Trek V as well.)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The alien planet Zeist story was most certainly intentional, not something the studio stuck in when they took over control of the movie. It was changed in the renegade version because fans rejected it and Mulcahy, Panzer, and Wisher took the opportunity to recant the Zeist story. They say as much in the commentary on the renegade version DVD.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

I never even liked Seven. I have to give it props because it was the first to try and make a film like that, but the script on Ressurection kept me more entertained, honestly. I didn't have any problems with the baby effect, but maybe it was the TV I was watching at the time. It can't be worse than the Dawn of the Dead remake CGI baby, though.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Dvdfile.com has the review up, which is as positive as they can make it for this movie, but in the review they describe the movie as neither the Quickening or the Renegade, but a third version. I don't know if this is because the new effects make this a third version, or if they've cut a few things back out of the Renegade.
So, does anybody know for sure that this is the Renegade cut, or is it some new in-between cut?

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I managed to get a copy of the dvd early and it's basically the renegade version.Most of the effects shots i the movie have been re-done.They did leave the effects for the quickenings alone though(they said that they didn't see anything wrong with them first time round,so there was no need to change them).There is a small scene missing that was in the previous renegade version dvd.When connor and louise go into the shield control at the end of the movie,they encounter some guards.Louise distracts one of them and connor knocks him out and as they are runing away,more guards open fire on them.In the new dvd,it just goes from an outside shot of the shield control to connor walking into the fight with katana.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The only reason I would buy Highlander II: The Sickening, would be because I would need a special coaster. The only way I would consider watching this movie again would be if I had the money to secure the rights, and pay the cast of Mystery Science Theater 3000 to come to my house and help me MiST it. This movie was 'Bot fodder.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Lynda-Marie - you just need to say what you mean.... I'm getting mixed messages there... did you like it or not
:D :D

Mine is despatched & on the way - not the best, but I want them all anyway.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
$13 at Circuit City... not bad. And if I'm really desperate for a commentary, I can just find the other DVD release for under $10...

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Did anyone else laugh at this in the above linked article?

"the classic sci-fi feature film “Highlander 2,”

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I finally got the DVD (Christmas Present from a friend). I'm working on my review of the DVD. I enjoyed the extras, but I'm puzzled why they cut a scene from the movie (even though I don't miss the scene that much).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks