High Density Fibreboard

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matthew Will, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    Quick question. If there is Medium Density Fibreboard, MDF, why not look to use high density fibreboard? I assume it would be even more solid and rigid when compared to MDF. I tried searching for sources online but couldn't find much. What does everyone else think? Matt

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I didn't even know there was a high density fiberboard.

I know there's ultralite MDF which is fun stuff, but I just stick to the good ole A-grade MDF.

This weekend my friend and I worked on turning 8 sheets of MDF. (some laminated) and turning them into 15 loudspeakers.

I love the smell of Pine and Glue. [​IMG]

photos

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

The MOE of a good grade of MDF is about the same as HDF. The biggest difference is weight....and cost. MDF is readily available while HDF is usually a special order. So basically, not worth the extra effort.

Pete

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Pete is correct. HDF is very difficult to find and usually involves a special order for more than a DIY-er could use or store - my local experience anyway.
    Looks like Chris is serious about this DIY stuff - 15 speakers in one weekend?
    [​IMG]

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Not to mention it's murder on tools/blades. You'd swear the stuff was concrete it's so dense.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

None of the speakers I'm building are gonna be for me. (Except for maybe some Diluceos which I'm tempted to make as I have an extra sheet of maple)

We couldn't do 15 speakers in one weekend, we just made the cuts and rips, and I started using a hole saw and router to make the driver cutouts. It may take us another weekend to finish assembly, and another to solder crossovers, install drivers, and sand/finish them.

We're only charging $30 an hour and work very fast when doing them in bulk which means ppl are getting them for a steal. You see the industrial equipment we get to work with? [​IMG]

7. Rod Simmons

Rod Simmons Extra

One of my friends works with MDF and HDF at his business. He told me that the HDF just has much more of the glue/resins that hold it together. It definitely has a stronger smell. If you use it, I'd make sure that you use something to seal it or you'll be smelling the chemicals in it for a while.

8. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor