What's new

Hi-Def Security Cameras? (1 Viewer)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Are there any hi-def security video cameras out there? Surely these would produce better footage than the crappy looking security camera footage we sometimes see on the news when a convenience store is robbed.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but the main reason security cameras are so crappy is because they record at real low quality to allow the device to record 24/7.
Any Hi-Def recording system (designed to run 24/7) would need MASSIVE amounts of storage....wouldn't you think?? It doesn't seem very practical, but who knows...

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
According to Google, they exist.
Maybe now on the crime shows, when they "zoom in" and "clean up" the image to show amazing details, it will be more credible :)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
MarkHastings said:
Any Hi-Def recording system (designed to run 24/7) would need MASSIVE amounts of storage....wouldn't you think?? It doesn't seem very practical, but who knows...
Well, it wouldn't have to be 60p... :)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
MarkHastings said:
but the main reason security cameras are so crappy is because they record at real low quality to allow the device to record 24/7.
We have them at our amenity center. We use the hi res which uses a lot of storage but you only need enough so that when an event happens you can scan through it and make copies. Who cares if it records for 30 days if nothing happened.

Joe S

Second Unit
I made my own security camera system with two wireless cameras and a Digital Recorder . It can record at several frame rates and you set a timer for the periods you want to record. I run it 11 hours/day at 10 fps. With an 80 Gig harddrive, it's used maybe 75% of the disk capacity in a week. I clear it out on Sundays.

You're right about video quality-not so good. I need to try running a video cable and a different camera to see if it improves things.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
John Alvarez said:
Who cares if it records for 30 days if nothing happened.
But how long do you actually keep the footage? I've seen crimes where the cops needed to go back more than a few days to get footage off of VHS security tapes.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
The one we have at a high capture rate with the hi res camera stores about 14 days using a 160 gig 8- channel dvr. It's a Speco DVR PC8 using Speco CVC-550EX bullet cameras with IR. You can also set the time when you want to record and use motion to start recording.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Having Installed numerous CCTV systems in the last 6+ years I must say I can't wait till compression/hard drives and computer based DVRS can record and handle the high amount of info of HD cameras at a reasonable cost.

Most high res cameras are not even at 800X600 but slightly lower res. Most are spec with 525 lines of resolution and such but even that doesn't tell how a camera performs IMO. I'n my experience long cable runs and how a camera handles incoming and changing light sources(sunlight, a door opening) really can make/break camera installs. Also a lot of installs I see really try to catch way to much with one camera. For example trying to catch a 100 ft parking lot with a wide angle lens and the camera mounted at 20 ft above the ground will end up with a crappy picture imo.

Most DVRs I use now have a 500GB or larger(1.2TB) HD with at least 240-480fps for 16 cameras. Thats good for about 2 weeks+ of motion recording. Schedule recording is just not used as much now and most installers rely on motion activated recording unless specific requirements are requested. We use Baluns(passive) on long runs(250 ft+) to ensure quality but it depends on the amount of interference we may encounter.

I think cost is the biggest reason why most people/stores have crappy video with the avg 4 zone system costing $4-5K with standard cameras and it goes up from there. A 16 zone camera system can easily cost $30K with most in the $20K area. A lot of small business just can not afford or don't want to spend that much and resort to "cheap" off the shelf cameras and DVRS. The second reason would be poor execution of the equipment. Not understanding light requirements, wire/interference issues/limits and wrong camera selection for the application also result in poor camera quality.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Shawn Solar said:
Having Installed numerous CCTV systems in the last 6+ years I must say I can't wait till compression/hard drives and computer based DVRS can record and handle the high amount of info of HD cameras at a reasonable cost.
Most high res cameras are not even at 800X600 but slightly lower res. Most are spec with 525 lines of resolution and such but even that doesn't tell how a camera performs IMO. I'n my experience long cable runs and how a camera handles incoming and changing light sources(sunlight, a door opening) really can make/break camera installs. Also a lot of installs I see really try to catch way to much with one camera. For example trying to catch a 100 ft parking lot with a wide angle lens and the camera mounted at 20 ft above the ground will end up with a crappy picture imo.
Most DVRs I use now have a 500GB or larger(1.2TB) HD with at least 240-480fps for 16 cameras. Thats good for about 2 weeks+ of motion recording. Schedule recording is just not used as much now and most installers rely on motion activated recording unless specific requirements are requested. We use Baluns(passive) on long runs(250 ft+) to ensure quality but it depends on the amount of interference we may encounter.
I think cost is the biggest reason why most people/stores have crappy video with the avg 4 zone system costing $4-5K with standard cameras and it goes up from there. A 16 zone camera system can easily cost $30K with most in the $20K area. A lot of small business just can not afford or don't want to spend that much and resort to "cheap" off the shelf cameras and DVRS. The second reason would be poor execution of the equipment. Not understanding light requirements, wire/interference issues/limits and wrong camera selection for the application also result in poor camera quality.
Your right on every account. I have even seen people put up dummy cameras in hopes it sways vandals. Thing that sucks is I have busted people breaking into our soda machines at our amenity center with a clear picture of them LOOKING at the camera but unless it is big news it doesn't get put on the news so we haven't found anyone to arrest.
Maybe insurance companies should help defray the high cost somehow in hopes of not having to pay out later?

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Insurance companies do require cameras in some cases otherwise they'd cancel coverage. It happened to a client of ours a few years back. At this time I don';t know of a single insurance company that offers a discount for security cameras. Most however, do offer a discount on alarm systems. The discount is around 10% but 15% if fire devices are installed.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Shawn Solar /forum/thread/251960/hi-def-security-cameras#post_3087202
A 16 zone camera system can easily cost $30K with most in the $20K area.
Crap, at that price, it's cheaper to deal with the cost of the theft/vandalism

JimInNY

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Crispino
I sold and serviced CCTV systems since 1979 and watched the industry evolve quite nicely over the years. It's still not perfect, but we have come a long way since the first time lapse vhs recorders, sequential switchers and b&w tube cameras. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
I am retired from that now, but I just did two systems at my tire shops using (2) DVRs with 250 gig HDs and (11) 520 line color day/night cameras on a budget. It all cost me about $4000 including (4) spools of siamese cable, connectors and (2) multi camera power supplies.
My strategy has always been to cover large areas with wide angle lenses to get overall view of the goings on. Then I try to anticipate the perps path of travel to and from the wide area and I install one camera zoomed in on that path. It saves money and generally gets a good identifiable picture of the perp.
Some tips:
  • Always look away from windows and exterior doors, since outdoor light will cause images to bloom.
  • Inside corners provide the most efficient vantage point to cover wide areas.
  • Install a camera over every exit and entry door that a perp may use.
  • Install a camera behind every every cash register, mounted low enough to see the face of a perp wearing a baseball cap, but not in a position to be blocked by the cashier.
CCTV systems can be affordable and effective if properly installed.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm missing something here or just falling behind on technology, but couldn't most cameras be connected to the "cloud" with essentially infinite storage? If they became disconnected then have their own internal buffer to store things for a few days until problems were fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks