What's new

WHV: I Am Legend Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"…Slick, adrenaline-fueled fun”
- Carina Chocano, Los Angeles Times

I AM LEGEND
ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Arrives on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD
December 9 from Warner Home Video

These All New Collector’s Editions include Hours of Never Before Seen Extras Just in Time for the Holidays

Burbank, Calif., September 1, 2008 – I Am Legend, the intense, action-packed thrill ride starring Will Smith, gets the Ultimate Collector’s Edition (UCE) treatment December 9 from Warner Home Video and Village Roadshow Pictures. Available on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD and packaged in an elegant, all-inclusive box perfect for holiday gift giving, the UCE will sell for $59.99 SRP (Blu-ray™) and $49.92 SRP (DVD). Orders are due November 4.

The UCE contains two versions of the film (one with a controversial ending), a Digital Copy of the theatrical version, plus hours of all new additional content. This additional content consists of four awesome animated comics, 12 never before seen deleted scenes with filmmaker commentary, and more than two hours of all new extras revealing Will Smith’s off-camera humor and kindness and explanation of how he grew as an actor through this film. Lastly, the UCE also includes an exclusive 44-page concept sketch book, a lenticular lucite commemorative piece featuring imagery from the film, and six collectible art cards showing international cities devastated by the virus.

Synopsis
The last man on earth is not alone. Will Smith portrays that lone survivor in I Am Legend, the action epic fusing heart-pounding excitement with a mind-blowing vision of a desolated Manhattan.

Somehow immune to an unstoppable, incurable virus, military virologist Robert Neville (Smith) is now the last human survivor in New York City and maybe the world. But he is not alone. Mutant plague victims lurk in the shadows watching Neville's every move and waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind’s last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find an antidote using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered and quickly running out of time.

Special Features

DVD Special Features
Disc 1 (Theatrical Version)
Commentary by director Francis Lawrence and producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman
Theatrical trailer

Disc 2 (Alternate Version)
Includes Digital Copy

Disc 3
Cautionary Tale: The Science of I Am Legend - How life-threatening microbes have caused pandemic viral infections and the looming dangers of advanced strands to the human race.
Creating I Am Legend
The Joy Ride Jump – All alone with a hot car and an empty street; setting up the perfect scene
Will in the Driver’s Seat – A realistic balance between live action and the stunt world
Robert Neville’s Psychology – Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence and novelist Richard Matheson set up the character of Robert Neville, particularly his devotion to discipline in routine in order to keep his sanity.
The Story – Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence, producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and novelist Richard Matheson discuss the roots of the film, as well as the story and its relevance.
Will Smith in Action – As a man in action, we get to see the humor and kindness of actor Will Smith when cameras are not rolling.
That Scary Place Inside All of Us – Will Smith and producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman discuss he complexity of the story and the Robert Neville character’s ragged psyche.
Shooting on the Intrepid – Faced with isolation, this NYC landmark was a perfect location against the city skyline.
NYC Gone Back to Nature – Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence and others focus on the challenges of making a city of over eight million look deserted.
Will’s Physical Training – Will Smith and trainer Darrell Foster discuss the physical training Will undertook for the role of Robert Neville.
Creating the Dark Seekers – Producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and novelist Richard Matheson discuss the development of the film’s virus-infected creatures.
Evacuation, Part 1: Family Convoy – Military coordinator Sam Glen and Second Unit director Vic Armstrong discuss shooting the evacuation sequence.
Evacuation, Part 2: Military Cooperation – Producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and others discuss the enormous amount of cooperation provided to the production by the U.S. Military in the evacuation sequence.
Building the Pier – Director Francis Lawrence and others explain the significance of building a pier in New York’s East River.
Canine Co-Star – Animal coordinator Steve Berens and his star dog Abby share some of her secrets for the training on this film.
Quiet Imagination – Will Smith talks about his growth as an actor and what was required from his performance.
Closing Down Fifth Avenue – Unique challenges to shut down one of New York’s busiest streets.
Evacuation, Part 3: Choppers – Skilled chopper pilots played a key role to deliver dramatic footage.
The Conflicts of Isolation – Will Smith and producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman discuss the psychology of the character of Robert Neville, who believes he is the last man on earth.
Trusting the Unknown – A profile of the characters Anna and Ethan, as played by Alice Braga and Charlie Tahan, and the significance of their roles in this film.
The Creatures Break In – Preparing Robert Neville’s home for the attack of the Dark Seekers.
Neville’s Weapons – The balance between protection and the reality of his environment played a role in the weapons used by Robert Neville.
The Making of I Am Legend
I Am Legend: The Making of Shots
Animated Comics
Death as a Gift - Jinghua Xu, immune from the virus and the last survivor in Hong Kong, struggles with the reality of living in a world decimated by the infected.
Isolation - Abandoned by his country, John Edward Lard is left to die in a maximum security prison while all other inmates are transferred to a more secure facility.
Sacrificing the Few for the Many - In a Central American jungle, two seemingly unaffected children witness the slaughter of aid workers and the destruction of a sick camp by an unknown military operation.
Shelter - A father’s agonizing choice to keep his infected daughter locked outside a refuge proves useless as the shelter walls are ultimately breached by the sick.
Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Francis Lawrence and Akiva Goldsman
Joy Ride – Robert Neville drives his car through the desolate streets of New York.
Sam and the Butterfly – Sam plays with a butterfly in the park.
They Set a Trap – Neville realizes the creatures are evolving.
Driving on the FDR – Neville and Anna drive down the empty freeway.
You Go Around the Door – A protective Neville reveals his fatherly side.
Do You Know How to Shoot a Gun? – Neville teaches Ethan the basics, to Anna’s dismay.
5th Avenue Walk – Neville, Anna and Ethan walk down the abandoned street.
Questioning Faith – Anna begins to doubt her beliefs for the first time.
Eat Fish on the Couch – Neville and Anna share a quiet moment.
Death or Life – Anna tries to convince Neville to escape from New York.
A Haunting Sight – Neville and Anna open the door and see the destruction he’s caused.
Hope – Anna’s faith is restored.

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Special Features
Disc 1 (Theatrical Version)

Focus Points
Play Movie with Focus Points - Explore the making of I Am Legend and the process of bringing the film to the screen.

Behind the Story
Commentary by director Francis Lawrence and producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman
Cautionary Tale: The Science of I Am Legend - How life threatening microbes have caused pandemic viral infections and the looming dangers of advanced strands to the human race. [HD]
Creating I Am Legend
The Joy Ride Jump – All alone with a hot car and an empty street; setting up the perfect scene. [HD]
Will in the Driver’s Seat – A realistic balance between live action and the stunt world. [HD]
Robert Neville’s Psychology – Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence and novelist Richard Matheson set up the character of Robert Neville, particularly his devotion to discipline in routine in order to keep his sanity. [HD]
The Story – Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence, producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and novelist Richard Matheson discuss the roots of the film, as well as the story and its relevance. [HD]
Will Smith in Action – As a man in action, we get to see the humor and kindness of actor Will Smith when cameras are not rolling. [HD]
That Scary Place Inside All of Us – Will Smith and producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman discuss he complexity of the story and the Robert Neville character’s ragged psyche. [HD]
Shooting on the Intrepid – Faced with isolation, this NYC landmark was a perfect location against the city skyline. [HD]
NYC Gone Back to Nature – Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence and others focus on the challenges of making a city of over eight million look deserted. [HD]
Will’s Physical Training – Will Smith and trainer Darrell Foster discuss the physical training Will undertook for the role of Robert Neville. [HD]
Creating the Dark Seekers – Producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and novelist Richard Matheson discuss the development of the film’s virus-infected creatures. [HD]
Evacuation, Part 1: Family Convoy – Military coordinator Sam Glen and Second Unit director Vic Armstrong discuss shooting the evacuation sequence. [HD]
Evacuation, Part 2: Military Cooperation – Producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and others discuss the enormous amount of cooperation provided to the production by the U.S. Military in the evacuation sequence. [HD]
Building the Pier – Director Francis Lawrence and others explain the significance of building a pier in New York’s East River. [HD]
Canine Co-Star – Animal coordinator Steve Berens and his star dog Abby share some of her secrets for the training on this film. [HD]
Quiet Imagination – Will Smith talks about his growth as an actor and what was required from his performance. [HD]
Closing Down Fifth Avenue – Unique challenges to shut down one of New York’s busiest streets. [HD]
Evacuation, Part 3: Choppers – Skilled chopper pilots played a key role to deliver dramatic footage. [HD]
The Conflicts of Isolation – Will Smith and producer-screenwriter Akiva Goldsman discuss the psychology of the character of Robert Neville, who believes he is the last man on earth. [HD]
Trusting the Unknown – A profile of the characters Anna and Ethan, as played by Alice Braga and Charlie Tahan, and the significance of their roles in this film. [HD]
The Creatures Break In – Preparing Robert Neville’s home for the attack of the Dark Seekers. [HD]
Neville’s Weapons – The balance between protection and the reality of his environment played a role in the weapons used by Robert Neville. [HD]
Animated Comics
Death as a Gift - Jinghua Xu, immune from the virus and the last survivor in Hong Kong, struggles with the reality of living in a world decimated by the infected. [HD]
Isolation - Abandoned by his country, John Edward Lard is left to die in a maximum security prison while all other inmates are transferred to a more secure facility. [HD]
Sacrificing the Few for the Many - In a Central American jungle, two seemingly unaffected children witness the slaughter of aid workers and the destruction of a sick camp by an unknown military operation. [HD]
Shelter - A father’s agonizing choice to keep his infected daughter locked outside a refuge proves useless as the shelter walls are ultimately breached by the sick.] [HD]
Trailer – Standard definition
Theatrical trailer

Disc 2 (Alternate Version)
Includes Digital Copy
Behind the Story
The Making of I Am Legend [SD]
I Am Legend: Making of Shots [HD]
Additional Footage – Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Francis Lawrence and Akiva Goldsman
Joy Ride – Robert Neville drives his car through the desolate streets of New York. [SD]
Sam and the Butterfly – Sam plays with a butterfly in the park. [SD]
They Set a Trap – Neville realizes the creatures are evolving. [SD]
Driving on the FDR – Neville and Anna drive down the empty freeway. [SD]
You Go Around the Door – A protective Neville reveals his fatherly side. [SD]
Do You Know How to Shoot a Gun? – Neville teaches Ethan the basics, to Anna’s dismay. [SD]
5th Avenue Walk – Neville, Anna and Ethan walk down the abandoned street. [SD]
Questioning Faith – Anna begins to doubt her beliefs for the first time. [SD]
Eat Fish on the Couch – Neville and Anna share a quiet moment. [SD]
Death or Life – Anna tries to convince Neville to escape from New York. [SD]
A Haunting Sight – Neville and Anna open the door and see the destruction he’s caused. [SD]
Hope – Anna’s faith is restored. [SD]

I AM LEGEND ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Street Date: December 9, 2008

I AM LEGEND ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
$49.92 SRP DVD
$59.99 SRP Blu-ray™ Hi-Def

Run Time: 101 Minutes; Rated PG-13
16x9 Letter Box; Color

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
This is starting to look like a trend for WB; first release a "non-Collectors" version followed 6-12 months later by a full CE.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
How ironic. My original I Am Legend BD is still shrink wrapped (but well outside of the 30 day return period).

Every new "extra" better be in 1080p to justify that asking price.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not too many (any) happy campers around here!
So I'll be the 1st: I'm happy cause I'll be able too buy all the pre-DoubleDip releases CHEAP used.
Thanks studios for screwing all your film lovers (p.i.) so I can get cheap HDM.

EDitEDbyED:
Oh...
and I'll be picking releases like these dheap when the "TripleTrips" start being released.
Soon!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Should we really expect anything different with Blu. Seriously, the studios have been doing this for years, you can't tell me you're upset now that it's being done with Blu.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It doesn't surprise me that they would do this. After all, What would they have to sell if they didn't continuously recycle their movies in new editions. The problem I have with it is that they are starting to recycle so damn early. I am Legend hasn't been out that long on BD as it is and they are already revisiting it? It's ridiculous. Give it a few years and then put out a new edition. In the meantime get cracking on expanding the catalog of films on Blu-ray. Let's see more classics and new films on this format before trying to resell us new editions of films that have already been released.

It is good thing that I don't have a need to collect extras. I have this film on BD and it is good enough for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guys,
Back earlier this year, I thought Bill Hunt or somebody else had a link in which Warner announced that they will be releasing these "ultimate collector's editions" for various popular titles. Of course, this is just another way to increase sales and profits because that's what these studios do.

From my personal perspective, for the most part, I won't be buying these type of releases and paying almost twice the amount of money. Frankly, I'm surprise that Warner sells enough of these "ultimate editions" to justify their release, but the general public must be buying a great deal of them. Anyhow, I'll buy a title like "Casablanca" because it's one of my favorite films and is consider one of the greatest movies of all-time, but this title isn't that well thought of, so no thanks from me.

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
First part of this film was awesome and Will Smith was great, but I won´t double dip just yet. I´ll pick this up from the sales..

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
^^^
Movie: December 14 2007
BD/DVD: March 18 2008
HD DVD: April 08 2008

EDitEDbyED:
Oh my gosh! This must have been like one of the last US HD DVD's (no need too comment). Not into the flick, although I'm sure I'll enjoy the 1st part. I'm going too pick this up, if I ever see it, just on the strength! :-0

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ultimate Collector's Edition: Decemeber 09 2008.

Not too bad for only 361 days.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I had forgotten about that in reference to this film. I guess maybe I didn't think it a film worthy of the treatment
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. I'm still on the fence about Casablanca, but I find your reasoning in this matter solid.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well I loved I Am Legend...I really did, but unless there's better image or audio (which it won't have) there's no need to re-buy. It's all about the film presentation for me and this is where the first issue already delivers.

It's actually already a reference Blu-ray disc.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I just wish they'd offer a version without all the unnecessary (IMO) collector's items - the sketch book, lucite, and cards. Those disc-based extras look pretty tantalizing, and I am interested in learning more about how Smith crafted his performance (the best I've ever seen from him), but there's no way I'll pay $59.99 MSRP, minus the inevitable Amazon discount, especially when there are so many other new releases coming out around the same time to compete for my dollar.

I feel the same way about the forthcoming Casablanca Ultimate Edition. Can we have the option of getting the discs without all the swag, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks