What's new

Hey Where the Heck do you keep all Those DVDs? (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

You have no idea how manytimes I have been asked this question. The answer has been becoming increasingly difficult to answer as my rack space has been really taxed lately.
Putting it mildly, I got DVDs all over the freaking place. I am tempted to get out my Digital camera and start snaping pics and posting them just so you can see the severity of the problem.
So I decided to put an end to the problem today.
So I have a Leslie Dame CD 1500, a HY-Q Cd500, a Fellows rack of some sort and a Bush Entertainment center full of DVDs.
So I wanted to kind of condense this down to a more even less rag tag look.
Today I order some more racks.
I decided to replace the tiny Fellows Rack (Crappy hunk of junk) which is sitting next to my CD1500 with a CdD 500.
Link Removed
Oak CD 500
Then for in a hallway I decided to order another CD 1500.
Link Removed
An Oak Cd1500
These units are claimed to hold 960DVDs for the 1500 and 320 for the CD500 and I have a mod in mind that will increas storage beyond those numbers.
This will leave me with Two CD 1500s, A Cd 500, a HY-Q CD 500, and the Bush Entertainment center to stuff with DVDs and assorted knick knacks. and solve my DVD/Cd Storage needs for quite some time. Then again I thought with the first Cd 1500 that would be the case as well.
Can't wait till they show up so I can clean up the mess. :D
the CD 1500s cost $249 and the CD 500 cost $99
Max

They sure can charge alot of money for some wood.
But those are some nice racks, and I have the same thing as the first one except mine is a little wider, and mine is white.
But if I had a collection as big as yours, I'd need the second one :D

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I use Boltz CD and MultiMedia racks: http://www.boltz.com . Cost per CD/DVD for storage is a lot higher, but they're great looking and modular. Need, more space? Buy an expansion kit.
-Mike...

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I had the same problem. I out grew a triple Boltz rack (750 discs) and had them stacked all over my tv, speakers, office, and even in 5 large plastic storage containers. So I had some bookcases built. I was surprised to find that once I compiled all my DVDs and put them in the new Bookcases that it was ALMOST full already! Lucky the five cabinets below also have two drawers each. The bookcases will hold about 2000 dvds and the cabinets 200+ per. So about 3000 total. I really need to go through them and start selling some on ebay. Its much easier to find titles now!
Link Removed
ps. I had these 'boxes' built for each shelf so I could get two levels per shelf. That way I can see all the spines.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Max I have the CD-1500 in my home theater and its a great shelf. My TV show dvd's i usually watch in my room so i just use 2 shelves i put up a while ago for them. But probably next month im going to repaint and rearrange my room so i may buy that small unit to put them on. Let me know how it is

Joey

StephenA

Screenwriter
I have a cabinet that I put mine in. It's one of those cabinets that you put game consoles, CD players, VCRs, laserdisc players, DVD players, etc in. I just rearranged the shelves to accomidate my DVDs.

M

MaxY

Well Yes the CD 1500 is a great unit and I already have one, I am adding a second CD 1500 and a CD 500. Between these I should have room for about 2240 DVDs in those Shelves and My Hy-Q rack can hold another 400 or so and my Bush Entertainment center holds quite a few as well.
I figure I will have DVD, CD, Video Game and Knick Knack storage that should hold me over for at least another year. :) but maybe not.
I like the CD 1500 because of the cost Vs number of DVDs ratio and they do look nice and are built solid.
joey,
Have you done Surgery on yours yet to move the fixed center shelf up or down 5", which makes the shelf spacing work out better for DVD/Videos?
Max

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Those are nice and reasonably priced. I've seen those small ones that only hold 40 or 50 go for $40.00 or so.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hey Max, I love those Leslie Dame units too. I've got two - one for CDs & one for DVDs. I did the surgery on the 1500 for the DVDs several months ago and posted the gory details (with pics) on my web site for readers of an earlier thread here on HTF. Here ya go:
Link Removed
As we discussed in the earlier thread, I don't know where they got the 960 number. I get 735 in mine (840 if you use the top shelf) after the mod.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Max

Nope i havent tried that. I dont really need to. I did the layout so everything i wanted fit fine. On the bottom I have my laserdiscs, and then a row of dvd's on top of that so its pretty even on the bottom. Besides I dont want to ruin the unit :)

M

MaxY

Craig,
That is too cool that you did the surgery.

I built my first one and realized what needed to be done but was to lazy to empty it all out again. So I figured If I ever did I would alter it.

Then I heard Chris Maynard had ordered one and I told him what I realized and suggested he measure it out before he built it and that by moving the Center Shelf up or down about 5 inchs it would allow a whole other row of DVDs.

Not Sure if Chris did that or not, but I knew i was going to when I build my new racks. (Going to do this on the 500 as well) and then when I empty out the existing 1500 I will mod it and have them all like that.

The link to your Web page is Great. While I doubt that I would have needed it, it is cool just to see someone else did it.

One question though, why did you chose to move the fixed shelf down rather then up? I was thinking if you went up that you would not need to make any new shelf pin holes. Was that not the case?

Max

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Besides I dont want to ruin the unit :)
Joey, I had the same fear - I thought about this for several weeks before finally ordering the 2nd unit and plunging in. I am a total doofus when it come to building things, so I went very slowly. That's why the instructions on the web site are written in "Measuring & Drilling for Dummies" style... :D At any rate, my unit turned out great. Believe me, if I can do this, anyone can!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have only one "rack" and it's a plain wooden rack which can probably hold around 125-150 DVDs.

I got a really nice one which can hold 300, but it needs to be glued together. It's the Leaning Tower of Pisa without glue. (Not to mention the fact that I came in to see my DVDs all over the floor!)

M

MaxY

Craig,
Went back and looked mine over, no mater what you have to drill new peg holes.
I am very anxious for the new ones to show up and doing this to all three units.
Then I can finally clean up the mess of DVDs all over the house. :D
Max

Rob T

Screenwriter
I store all my discs on a small shelving unit at the moment but I'm starting to run out of space so I'm hoping I'll get another shelving unit for my birthday in July. :)

Keith M.

Second Unit
i have about 900 dvds and am using 3 custom billy bags PRO-1000 dvd racks. These are the only racks I could find that were taller rather than wider which allows more storage in less floorspace. They even come in numerous colors...A little pricy but well worth it...
here is a link to the cd version which are identical to there custom dvd racks, just different spacing of course...
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks