Where do you store your DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_N, Oct 19, 2001.

1. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    I've been buying DVD for about 2 years now. I probably own close to 150 DVDs. With all the great movies that haven't even been released yet, I see that number is just going to get bigger and bigger. The entertainment center that I store the disks ran out of reasonable room a long time ago and am now stacking the cases, laying them down, and putting them behind others.
    When looking in stores the only display units I see hold like 300 disks. Not only would that probably get filled in a year or two, but then I'd have to find somewhere to put additional racks.
    I know I've read messages from people with several hundred disks. So what do you guys do with them? I've visited some peoples websites and see their great theater setups, but I haven't seen anything about disk storage.
    I look forward to your responses.
    Not sure if this should be on a different board.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    David, this topic comes up from time to time. You can find the latest fairly extensive thread on storage here:
    Storage Thread
    Lots of good info in there.
    ------------------
    Too many DVDs, too little time...
    AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    David, welcome to the Home Theater Forum!
    I have about 180 dvd's, and a good majority of them are on a dvd tower hanging on the wall, and the rest I store on a bookshelf. That's ONE of the great things about dvd, the cases are so slim that you can store alot of them on one shelf as opposed to vhs, so it really looks like you have alot on one shelf, when there is actually only about 30 or so.
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    [​IMG]
    DIY custom storage area!
    Wes

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

When my collection gets above 200-300 discs, I'm going to buy a 400+ disc DVD changer, put 'em all in there, and put the keepcases in storage. Then I'll create a quick web-based catalog in HTML, link it to my TV, and let guests browse the catalog with a wireless mouse.
    As was stated in the linked thread, this also makes it real easy to turn people down when they ask to borrow a disc. When all of the discs are cataloged and stored in a changer, cases nowhere to be found, it's easier to say, "Sorry."
    As for CDs: I solved my CD storage problem with a large hard drive. Ripped all of the tracks to MP3, scanned in the covers and stuck 'em on my server.
    ------------------
    -Ryan ( http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

[Edited last by Ryan Wright on October 19, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

6. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. Good ideas here and in the linked previous thread.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I have about 40-45 DVD's (still waiting for Kane, Snow White, and Holy Grail) and I have a O'Sullivan entertainment stand.
    It's a really nice setup...the front shelfs (which border the 3 center shelfs for my electronics) are for jewel boxes, but I made shelfs out of them using old CD cases!
    I could probably put around 200 DVD's on the stand, and I doubt I'll reach that number within the next few uears.

8. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

David-
    I use just a standard bookshelf for my DVD/CD storage.
    http://www.torkko.com/ht/movies.jpg
    Of course, the DVDs are starting to overwhelm CDs since that picture was taken...almost to the 200 mark. I'm thinking about getting another identical bookshelf just for CDs.
    -Seth

9. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I had a friend build me a custom unit. I have a capacity of about 800 dvds with a current 318 in my collection. I investigated a number of different store bought possibilities & couldn't find one to suit my needs so I had one built. IMHO that is the best way to go!
    ------------------
    Ed Vandeweerd
    [email protected]
    my collection

10. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

You know if you own enough DVD's you could just build a home theater with it one DVD at a time!
    Welcome to the addiction my friend.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie