What's new

Wife: "Where are YOU going to put all those DVDs!?!?!" (1 Viewer)

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
...she says that to ME, even though SHE has stacks and stacks of CDs laying all over the place! :)
Between my wife's addiction to CDs and my ever growing DVD collection (not to mention our dinosaur collection of VHS), we are in serious need of additional storage space for media. I have been working and re-working a design for a 6-drawer media cabinet for some time now, and have finally begun construction...
First, a little about the specs:
- 6 drawers with 16" full extension ball-bearing drawer slides.
Drawers are dimensioned and divided in such that they will accomodate DVDs, CDs and VHS tapes with very little wasted space. Each drawer has five compartments and will hold:
135 DVDs or 285 CDs (don't have the VHS number handy) for a total of either 810 DVDs, 1,710 CDs, or any combination in between pretty much.
The basic design is a VERY minimalist, shallow-depth, cubist design with the dimensions: 44 3/16" H x 44.875" W x 17.5" D
It will easily fit against one of the side walls in the theater and has a relatively small footprint considering its capacity.
Each drawer will have a single, centered, flush-mounted pull (the type with the spring-loaded, flip-out handle), and the entire cabinet will ride on 4 transfers (one at each corner) similar to the ones I used on the Flexi-Rack.
Oh... and it is stackable to get a possible two cabinets high in any room with at least 7'-6" high ceilings (with the same footprint). Stacked cabs should probably be lag bolted through the back wall of the cabinet to the studs in the walls (which you will be able to grab two studs no matter how it is situated against the wall), though it will be quite stable even without the lag bolts.
So far I have accomplished the following:
-Acquired materials
-Completed cut list for all six drawers (total of 54 pieces!!)
-Trial fitted pieces to verify cut accuracy
-Determined top, bottom, front, back orientation of each piece and marked accordingly.
-Comlpleted layout (referencing the bottom edge on all pieces) for the biscuit slots to join the pieces.
-Cut biscuit slots in all backs, sides, and interior dividers.
-Designed and constructed the drawer pull plunge routing template.
I still need to layout machine the secondary stuff in the drawer fronts: biscuit slots for each side and 4 dividers, cut the 1/4" length-wise dado for the bottom panel, and plunge router the drawer front faces to accept the drawer pulls.
Then, I will of course glue up all the drawers. Once they are dry, I will verify the carcass dimensions based on the actual dimensions on the drawers to minimize drawer to carcass clearances. Then machine and join the carcass, fit the drawers/slides, install the drawers, adjust... adjust some more, etc.
Finally, I will need to figure out how to finish this piece... It'll be black of course, but I haven't decided whether to go for 1) laminate (to match the Flexi), 2) paint over MDF, or 3) dyed wood veneer... I do know that I am going to test out filling the MDF with bondo and sanding to get a smoother edge finish (idea picked up from a fellow flexi builder).
We're leaving town for the weekend, so Iwon't be able to get back to it until Monday...
Later y'all!

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have one of then crome wire racks that youget at best buy and if i want i can get another ine had tripple my storage and make a shelf system out of them by linking them toghre

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi there,
I built a cabinet around 8 months ago now to do the same thing. My CD Drawers measure around 36" wide and around 18" deep and hold around 210 CDs each.
What I found is that CDs are VERY heavy. The drawers are 6 CDs wide, and there is quite a bit of sag induced on the rails - they're not particularly heavy duty, mind you.
Next time I would probably stick to around 3 CDs wide (Around 18" or so) and do two drawer widths. You may want to weigh a full drawer set of CDs and see if your drawer slides will withstand the weight. I also find that if 2 drawers are out, then it doesn't take much to tip it over!
Just something to consider :)
Cheers
Jonathan

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Clay,

Could you post the McMaster-Carr # for the transfers you used on the flexy? I looked at the catalog, and there are *so many* different transfers, I didn't know where to start. I would like to do similar projects to yours, and these are the coolest things I've ever seen- no more casters for me!

Thanks,

Wes

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
I posted the number in my Flexy thread, I think....

Justa a sec...

5674K61 150lbs
5674K63 200lbs
5674K64 250lbs

Just look up "Ball Transfer"... They are on the first page (Type 6).

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
I could not possibly imagine actually trashing all of my DVD boxes, artwork, inserts, etc, etc....

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
No, not without a step or ladder... I have already finished a design for both a spring-loaded rolling step stool and a "library-ladder". I'll figure out which one I need when it becomes necessary to have the second cabinet... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread