What's new

Hey Where the Heck do you keep all Those DVDs? (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

Keith,
Actually that is one of the things I like about the Leslie Dame racks, is how tall they are.

Max

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I hate being able to see the DVDs out like that. I have to have them put away. So my wife and I scoured craft stores until we found a very nice cabinet which accents our home decor, holds the DVDs well but covers them up!

The same thing with my TV and equipment. My brother built us a very nice custom amwar (Sp?) that fit all of my stuff but has door that pull out and close covering it all up when not in use. I built little cubbies for my rear speakers that not only hides them but puts them in an optimal position (with openings on teh side for them to blare through but makes them invisible from the normal sitting areas. Plus there's shelves on thiese things for my wife to put her little daubles of decoration. None of this sacrifices performance (in fact it's enhaced it a bit) but it keeps the wife happy, and I like it too.

M

MaxY

Well it one of my two racks showed up today. Now to build them and include the proper mods for DVD only.

Max

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to be building in a rack at the back of my new HT room. It will have a door that covers the window at the rear. When I'm not watching a film, the door will open to let light in.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Max-Are the dvd's store horizontally on these racks? I am interested in the smaller one, but from the pics it doesn't look as if they can stand up vertically.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
John, the pics at the beginning of this thread show the racks with all shelves installed - this is what I call their "CD Configuration". All shelves except the center one are adjustable, so you would just configure them differently for DVDs.
I have pics in my web write-up that show the shelves configured for DVDs, both before & after the center-shelf mod.
Link Removed

John Bryant

Second Unit
Craig-Yeah, I found your site after I posted. Does anyone with a CD-500 know how many it will hold? Is it close to the 320 after the mod? This would be perfect for my needs right now, and give me plenty of space to grow. I like the Boltz racks, but this is just a better financial choice.

Also-Do the dvd's stick out a bit from the shelf, making them easier to grab? Or are the flush up against it?

M

MaxY

John,
They Are flush. As for the number of DVDs it will hold, even with the mod to allow for 8 rows of DVDs (including the top shelf) the 320 number is not quite right.

My guess is that it is closer to about 280 or so.

Now the CD 1500 was back ordered when I ordered it and they told me it should ship next week.

On the CD 500 from the time I started until the time I finshed with the mod made and the rack in place took me about an hour. I expect that the mod will take up more time on the CD 1500 because their are two addtional supports that need to be drilled and both of those get drilled on both sides.

Note to Craig,
On the nylon screw holes, I found that if you put the stud in them most of the way and then take a claw hammer you can pull them out. Then just drill a whole for them (Nice and Tight) put the stud in the nylon piece and just gently tap it into the new hole. It was really easy.

When the CD 1500 shows up I plan to mod it then move into the place of my current CD 1500 and break down the existing one and mod it.

Craig's page is a good little page to look at if you are concerned about drilling into a new unit. It is very easy and I am sure most could quickly figure out how to do it on their own, but a quick looksie there is bound to make you feel better about it.

Max

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I use the Atlantic Tech. Racks, very similar to the Boltz stuff - cheaper and pretty good build quality. I usually grab them from BestBuy as/when I need them but I'm sure they are available online as well (showoff displays used to sell them quite cheap). Here's one variety
http://store6.yimg.com/I/thejungles_1682_2941512

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
That Atlantic Tech rack looks pretty sweet. I'm too deep down the Boltz path to switch anywhere else but I'm NOT complaining (just my wallet). I've got the Boltz CD-600 (for CDs), MM-252 (for DVDs), TV1 (for my RPTV) and just bought the Component rack (all in black). Next on the list is their LP shelving.

Funny thing is when I first bought the MM-252 I told them I loved it and plan on buying more of their stuff. I jokingly said "Who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to buy Boltz coffee tables, end tables, etc.".

Six months later they came out with Boltz coffee tables and end tables.

-Mike...

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Max and Mark Wilson,
You guys are my heros :) !! I just butchered down my collection on EBAY from 225 to 167, and am in the rebuilding process (I had to cull the herd) and totally focused on my library, you guys are an inspiration!! I also use a Boltz system with an expansion rack.
Todd

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
So... ummm.. Mark... Where do ya live? :D I'd like to camp out in your HT room for a few weeks!
Anyways, like Todd, I am trying to keep my collection down to less than 200. Although I am constantly buying DVD, I try to weed out the "non-keepers" concurrently.
I made moveable shelves that hold about 100 across (2 deep if necessary, but it's not). Work real well and it's right next to the DVD Player.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Jehan-I like the look of the Atlantic racks, but the one I see locally only holds ~180 @ $79.99 + tax. That's quite a jump from ~280-300 @ $99.99.

M

MaxY

Well My CD 1500 showed up yesterday and I hope to find the time to build it today or Sat. (Going fishing tomorrow :)) and plan to mod this unit. Then I will put in place of my old CD 1500 break it down and then mod it.
Max

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't have nearly as many DVDs as the original poster, but I still understand the space issue. For several years I've had an inexpensive, white laminate bookcase with the typical 11" shelf depth. One of my frustrations was knowing two DVDs can fit within that 11" depth, so I had my dad put together a simple box that runs the width of the shelf and is slightly higher than the typical DVD case. So one row of DVDs sits above another in stairstep fashion. Sure, there's still some unused space but it was the best possible modification for my existing furniture. Of course I have already expanded to a second shelf so will need to figure something else out within a year.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't have nearly as many DVDs as the original poster, but I still understand the space issue. For several years I've had an inexpensive, white laminate bookcase with the typical 11" shelf depth. One of my frustrations was knowing two DVDs can fit within that 11" depth, so I had my dad put together a simple box that runs the width of the shelf and is slightly higher than the typical DVD case. So one row of DVDs sits above another in stairstep fashion. Sure, there's still some unused space but it was the best possible modification for my existing furniture. Of course I have already expanded to a second shelf so will need to figure something else out within a year.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I always seem to be out of space too. I bought the MultiMedia Wall 1520 last November, and thought I'd have plenty of space at least for a year or so. Six months later and I'm ready for a new one. I planned my theater room so that I could fit two of these things with no problem, but I don't know what I'll do when I fill another one (at this point at least I know enough to say "when", and not "if". :) )
(Click either image if you wanna to see a month-by-month progression)
NOVEMBER 2001

MAY 2002

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks