What's new

HELPPPPP!!!!!! Choosing Sub..... (1 Viewer)

asi_a

Agent
Hello,

I am in desperate need of help here. I am building my HT and have almost everything I need. I am running a 7.1 system with the Denon AVR2805 with Axiom spears, M50ti's for fronts, VP150 for center and M3ti's for side and rear surrouns. My dilema is choosing a sub. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if running 2 12" subs will work properly in my room which by the way is 18'w by 25' long with 9' cielings. If not what would you pro's run for subs? I would be using the room for movies and TV shows only, no music. Thanks in advance for your help.
Asi

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
That is a big space if you want bass that slams you. You shouldn't have a problem rattling the walls and vibrating the couch with the offering from Hsu or SVS in that price range.

I believe a second identical sub will only give you a 6dB increase in volume. One of the sub gurus around here can tell you more about that.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
If you want the most slam for the $$$$ ... the Hsu STF-3 ($599) or SVS 25-31 Pci ($549) are excellent choices...

Chris is right, if you add a second, AND colocate them, you will get another 6 dB in output...

asi_a

Agent
well i have a sub from a previous system which is a 12" I bought from Speaker City USA in Burbank CA about four years ago, it's powered by a KG-5150 amp, if you need to know about it before you can elaberate you can find it at speakercity.com and its called the PS12. Sounded pretty good for me in the past I just don't know if will be enough in this size room. Are you telling me that a single Hsu STF-3 or SVS 25-31 Pci would create that much bass in a room of this seize? Thanks so much
Asi

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Although its above your mentioned budget my VTF-3 MK2 really rocks in a similar size room. I can highly recommend Hsu, the product was great and they where excellent to deal with.

PC

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Either will give you nice bass in that room. If you're the kind of person who wants your bass to slam your body not just rattle the walls you'll want something more.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Would selling your PS12 and then applying the extra $$ to your $5-600 budget be a option? If it is, then possibly the 25-31PC+ would be a option? Thats a 4050^ room your in there and it's going to require a little mussel. Not that the Pci is any slouch to be sure.

Pete_M3

Agent
the PS12 has a low frequency cutoff at 32 Hz. The SVS and Hsu go much lower, easily reaching 25. And these subs are made to play with authority at high volume. Another to consider is the Outlaw LFM-1, which was co-designed by Dr. Hsu. Some call it a STF-3 clone, it's about the same price.

If you want to demo how much difference that is, get an Avia DVD and play the descending test tone that goes from 200 to 20 Hz. Of course, your sub will go quiet at about 30 Hz, so you'd have to have one of the other subs to see what you are missing.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I recently learned that in addition to the extra port the Outlaw uses a different driver from the Hsu 3 series.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I can't say enough good about SVS. I have one of the box SVS subs, but I consistently read positive reivews regarding the cylinder subs. In fact, I have never read anything bad about them.

I believe Ron S. (co-founder of SVS) said my sub should be able to "peel the paint off the walls" in my room. Mine is similar in size to yours and it opens to another room.

Never have I heard such bass. My wife is going to kill me if I we have to repaint the walls in there. :D

If I were you I would put some serious consideration into the 25-31pci or pc+. You would most definitely not be disappointed.

Tony

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you got the setup pretty well finished/adjusted eh Tony? ;) And here you were all worried.

Mort

TonyWright

Second Unit
Yeah, the setup is really getting close to being finished now. I am going to chart some frequency sweeps and see where I might have issues. I know I already have some so I am thinking about adding a BFD to help out.

I moved the sub into a corner and it really started to belt out the bass. I think it works best in the corner as was suggested.

Tony

asi_a

Agent
Brian, what size room do you have that you're using dual 20-39cs+? and can you tell me if the cylinder subs have to be in stand up position or can they be laid down and perform just as good? I actually don't mind a cylinder sub as long as it shounds perfect. i dont want to end up having not enough bass. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks