What's new

HELP with new DVD player (pioneer) (1 Viewer)

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
Display device: Yamaha LPX-510 Projector

I was using a $30 panasonic dvd player with component out to see where to put my screen for my projector. The 'info' for the projector said that I was at 720i. Today, I bought a Pioneer elite DV-45a. I hooked it up and played the same DVD as I did in the panny, also with component cables. Now I am at 525i for resolution.

Since I am new to this and this whole resolution thing, isnt that a worse resolution than I had with my $30 player?

What gives? Any tips?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Not sure about your projector but if you go into the set-up on the Pioneer under 'Video' options will be a setting for progessive or interlaced. Setting it to progressive should get you 480p which when adjusted with a set-up disc like the AVIA should look better. Higher price does not automatically mean more lines of resolution. For example the Pioneer Elite you have is a universal player that will plays DVD-As or SACDs. Other players may have better audio or video. If you go to www.hometheaterhifi.com you can see their benchmark of testing of different DVD players at different price points.

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
I made one of the stupidest mistakes that I have ever made. In my most infinite capabilities and wisdom of home theater (sarcasm)...i was looking at lamp hours (720)...hence my initial reading of the '720' resolution. Both the elite and the $30 player put out 525i/p. The elite has some more color adjustment features that I like. I guess I will just use what I have...via component cable until the next best technology comes out.

I am definetly learning as I go here.

Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks