What's new

Help with low end projector selection. (1 Viewer)

Shoottv

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Well, My good ole VPL-W400Q, that I purchased at the advice of this forum back in 1998, is finally looking unacceptable and I need to replace it. It needs a new lamp and new blue plate which gets me 50%+ to a new low end projector.

Money in the family is pretty tight for luxury goods right now but I have managed to scrape together about $1000 to replace the projector. I'm looking for a projector to get me through the next 2 years when I'll have the new business loan paid off and buy a nice projector.

I was thinking of the Infocus IN72. Which I can get for about $699 after rebate.

Will I be OK with this choice compared to the old projector or I'll take suggestions.

I have a 106" high gain screen.

Thanks,
Jeff

Stevecatch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Catch
IN72 is a great projector, and a choice for watching TV, DVDs and the like, but kind of lacks on the HDTV side of things. Other than that, that's a pretty good deal for a IN72, all things considered.

If you wanted a higher resolution projector, you could get an Infocus ScreenPlay 5000 for less than $1000 too. The real advantage of it would be the native 720p resolution as opposed the IN72's 480p. The disadvantage would be that it's more expensive.

If HDTV isn't in your plans anytime soon, you can certainly get away with running an IN72. The IN72 has a two year warranty so it'll last you as long as you said you needed and probably longer.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Infocus IN72 is the best projector for $1,000 or less. Make sure that price you mentioned is from an Infocus "authorized dealer" though. Because if it's not, Infocus will not honor the warranty. It say this right on their website. Have you read the reviews of the IN72 at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks