What's new

Help with Def Tech Speakers (1 Viewer)

James_C

Agent
I just recently purchased a pair of Def Tech BP-8B's and I am wondering if I have the correct set up. I currently live in a small townhouse (so space is limited and the room is far from an ideal room for HT). **I have tried to include a drawing of the room but I am unable to get it to work...does anyone know how to insert a drawing into this post??*** Anyway, they are bipolar speakers and I have my tv and speakers angled across the corner of the room directing out to the couch. Am I limiting the speakers when I do this???
Also, I need to get new rear speakers. Def Tech has bipolars and the small 100's. Any suggetions???

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
For their bipolars, I generally recommend 5-10 feet of space in between the speakers, 1-3 feet for the rear drivers to fire, and a slight toe in towards the listening position.
For surrounds, it will be a matter of preference whether you want bipolars or direct radiators. The bp2x or Pro100 would both probably work pretty well.
If you find that you are not able to give the bipolars some room to breathe, you should seriously consider Def Tech's new PowerMonitor speakers.
Good luck!

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I run BP8's as my mains and BP2's as surrounds. Sounds great. What are you going to use as center? For the economy route I am using the ProCenter 2. Works wonderfully until I save my nickels for a c/l/r.
-Kevin

James_C

Agent
I have a C2 for my center speaker. I too would like to upgrade to a c/l/r but I think I am currently still in the dog house with my wife because of the recent purchase of my front speakers...it's only a matter of time though
biggrin.gif
. I would like to include a drawing of my room into a post...how do I do that???? I need some help with the best possible setup for my HT. A picture would explain alot!!!

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James...I have DefTech BP-10'S as my mains and I have a similar setup as you do.My Big Screen is in the corner flanked by the DefTechs and although not in the ideal setup,are perfectly fine for music and home theatre.Eventually,if I win the lotto,I'll be able to afford a better house with better opportunities for space.If I can give you one piece of advice though...When you do purchase a center channel and surrounds go with timbre matched DefTech's all around.The C/L/R's for 3 would be a natural.

James_C

Agent
Aren't all Def Tech's matched for that very reason??? Do you mean a c/l/r for the center and what for the rears??? I was thinking about pro monitor 100's for the rears (for now). What kind of sub do you suggest???

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using the BP8-B's for mains and a CLR2000 for center, then I went with 4 ProCinema 200's for side and rear. I've heard several people say the 100's are better, but I thought the midrange was a little stronger on the 200's. I actually picked them all up on e-bay.
Just a note, Def Tech claims that all of their surrounds are timbre matched. As long as they all have the same tweeter (some of the older models had a different one) the tweeters are all timbre matched, but I have noticed a slight difference in the mid range tones from the BP8 to the CLR 2000. The CLR has slightly larger woofs than the BP8-B's. It's not a big enough difference to bother me, and the only time I notice it is if a voice moves from center outward. I haven't noticed it at all on sound effects or music. I love the sound. I just got my Dharman from Adire audio. It's a great sub, especially for the price. You should also consider SVS, but they're a little more expensive. I just wasn't very impressed with Adire's customer service. If you don't mind waiting a month to get it after you've already waited a month and they tell you it's shipped, their prices can't be beat. They just dropped the price another $60, so it's an unbelievable deal.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
James...Essentially,timbre matched speakers are speakers from the same manufacturer that give the same "sound"That way the "sound"will be the same across the front of your system.ie:left front,center channel,and right front will sound alike.The timbre matched speakers will have far better soundstage with no sonic holes in the soundfield.As for the sub,I don't think their is anything better than SDS Subs for the price.I've heard these and they are absolutely awesome...not boomy but very well rounded,deep base that will shake your soul.I don't have one yet but maybe towards the new year.Gotta save for this...

Robert Fellows

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to get an output near full range, don't get less than the BPX's
------------------
Bob
p.s.: This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks