What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help with 7.1 speaker placement issues (1 Viewer)

Tom Fl

Grip
Greetings,

I am working on designing a 7.1 system for my new home that is under construction.

The room details are:

19'6" x 16' (Floorplan excerpt is attached)
12' ceiling
Left side of room is open with 2 square colums spaced 4' 6" from front and back of room. Rear of room has a fireplace with recessed bookshelves on either side.

I am considering Axiom M80's for the front mains, a VP150 for the center and QS8's for the surrounds. I already have a capable SVS sub that I will use. The issues are mainly with the surrounds as one will need to be mounted on a square column and the back surrounds will be on bookcases. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this setup? I am concerned about how the surrounds will sound as one will be on a square column and two will be on a bookshelf.

Many thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Unless you are totally set on a 7.1 system I would concider staying with a 5.1system in you situation. Especially with the Quadpolar speakers.

Thier suggested setup can be found at

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/dow...und_manual.pdf

If you are staying with the 7.1 system...
I didn't hear the mention of where the 7th speaker is going. you have the 3 in front 2 surrounds and 1 on a column listed. Where is the other one going?

Tom Fl

Grip
As it stands right now, the room will be layed out as follows:

The tv, center and front mains will be against the wall opposite the fireplace.

One of the side surrounds will be mounted on the farthest column from the tv wall and the other side surround will be mounted on the wall directly across from it (next to the exterior door).

The back surrounds will be sitting on bookcases, which will be in the recessed area on either side of the fireplace. I plan to elevate the speakers using "extra tall rubber feet" as suggested in the manual linked above or some other method to achieve the same result.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Given the tough job of designing around a column it seems like you have found your solution.

Let us know how it turns out. Post some pics when it's done!

Tom Fl

Grip
Unfortunately, it will be some time before I can report back as the house won't be finished until late July. I'm not competely convinced I have found the best solution yet but have plenty of time to get it figured out. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks