What's new

Help! Wiring Questions... (1 Viewer)

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
Hi all...I've been reading and reading about subwoofer connections, trying to learn what the best one is. I have an Onkyo HT-S4100 HTIB that came with scrawny speaker wire, and the sub connection uses the same wimpy guage wire. The only difference with that connection is the RCA plugs.I keep reading that a sub uses such low frequencies that what I have may be sufficient, but on the other hand I read a lot of good things about using a coax cable. The only plus to that I've been able to find is the shielding. My question is, and I'm hoping someone will tell me straight...Do I need to pick up another cable, or is what I have gonna give me everything I can get ? (or need, I should say) and speaker wire...I think the wire that came with it is either 22 or 24 guage. Should I replace ALL (including sub) wire?, and if so, what guages should I use. I SINCERELY appreciate any thought anyone has on this subject...I'll never be happy till I know I'm "hooked up" the best/right way possible. This is making me a little nuts! THANKS!

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
Thanks a bunch..I have a Dayton? coax that my brother left here at my house. I THINK thats what he used for a sub...will try that but appreciate knowing about that site..(good prices too) I was just having a heck of a time sorting through what I was reading about all of this stuff...what is BS and what isn't, and I wanted some one to tell me the TRUTH about what are the best connections. I'm still wondering about my speaker wires though (not the sub, will use that cable)..those wires are REALLY small (and cheap/crappy)Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Replace those 22-24 gauge speaker wires with at least 16 g. Doesn't have to be the expensive stuff. Monoprice is just fine.

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
Thanks a lot everybody..FINALLY I'm getting some good advice! (and no additional BS!) Again, it's sincerely appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks