What's new

Help! Wega or Samsung Dynaflat HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Brendan B

Grip
Hi all,
Before I start, let me just say I am a newbie, so please bare with me :)
I'm planning on getting a TV for my dorm room and recently I've been interested in getting a 27" KV-27FS13 Wega ($600). However, when I went to look at the TV at best buy, I came across the Samsung 27" Dynaflat HDTV TSL2793HF ($900)
Is paying $300 more justifiable for HDTV? Or is the Wega the best bang for the buck in this scenario? Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung? I will be using my Playstation 2 as a temporary DVD player using component outputs. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
You might want to try www.hometheaterspot.com and look under Samsung for info on the Samsung set. I don't know what the difference is between the Samsung TSL2793HF & the TSL2795HF but I would find out. Pretty sure Home Theater Spot has something about both sets. Hope this helps you out.

Hi,
I was in the same situation, except I had to choose between a Sony 32FS13 and a Samsung TSL3293HF.
I bought the Samsung and I am very happy with it. You can search "Samsung" in this forum and you will find some of my post explaining why I choose the Samsung over sony.
Just to recap ;)
-Samsung accept a progressive signal, Sony doesn't;
-Both can do vertical compression for anamorphic DVD, but with the Samsung, it's a press of a button on the remote while sony requires to go in the menu (less convenient);
-The Samsung is HDTV ready, meaning it will not be obsolete as fast as Sony regular set.
-The Samsung has a 3D comb filter, Sony has only a 3lines comb filter.
And as for picture quality, both were quite satisfaying at the store but I think the Samsung looked a little bit better.
As for the differences between Samsung TSL32XXHF are:
TSL3293 is a strip down model, no PIP, no big sound system, but the important stuff (tube, image, processing) is identical as the TSL3295.
Also, warranty on Samsung TV is 2 years vs 1 year for Sony.
Make sure you don't pay for feature you don't need; if don't plan on getting a progressive DVD player and you don't care about HDTV, the better bargain would be Sony.
But, personnaly, I don't like paying for something I know I will want to upgrade in the short to medium term.
Hope this help.

Brendan B

Grip
As of right now, my current budget doesn't allow me to get a progressive scan DVD player IF i happen to get the Samsung. I will eventually get one however.
OK, let's say that I get the Sony Wega AND a progressive scan DVD player. I know that the progressive scan players are optimized when used with an HDTV. How about on a regular interlaced TV? will getting a progressive scan DVD player help in terms of video quality? Thanks for your guys' help :)

Althought I don't have a progressive DD player, I am sure that a progressive DVD player on an interlaced TV will not do anything better than a regular DVD player.

A friend of mine have a progressive DVD player hooked up on a regular interlaced TV, and there is no difference with his previous player.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Getting a progressive scan dvd player with the Sony tv would be a wasted investment. The Sony will only be able to handle an interlaced signal. if you buy the Samsung, then investing in a progressive scan dvd player would be worthwhile, although the difference between interlaced and progressive is not always eye popping for everyone. Don't be expected to be wowed as if you're going from VHS to DVD quality.

good luck,

--tom

Brendan B

Grip
Thanks a lot guys for your input. I am going to go with the Samsung and invest in a progressive scan DVD player later down the road. If anyone has anymore comments on the Samsung (positive or negative) please let me know. I want to be sure that I'm making the right choice. Thanks again!

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I would recommend the Zenith D27D53. (or the D27D51 for around $200 cheaper). The only problem is that they can be hard to find. Circuit City stocks the 31 inch model from the 51 series, and it's really nice, about as good as an XBR, with more features. The 53 series, which is what I have, is even better. You should at least check them out on the Zenith website, you'll be suprised at how favorably they compare with pretty much every direct view HD set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks